CBT prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEforWin

Reaction score
I want to be ready if my first attempt results arent favorable. Who here is prepping for the CBTand how? I am going to try more problems but now that we won't have anything but the NCEES reference to use during the exam I am not sure how much I will need to memorize. Thanks fellow engineers.

I’m not sure how I’d prepare, let alone decide what would need to be memorised. Frankly, I’m not worrying myself over such things until results are released (three-peat taker here, by the way).

I wouldn’t worry about it just yet. I’m sure you did fine 

i know that NCEES has come out with a new practice exam book to prepare for CBT. i wonder how different it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure how I’d prepare, let alone decide what would need to be memorised. Frankly, I’m not worrying myself over such things until results are released (three-peat taker here, by the way).

I wouldn’t worry about it just yet. I’m sure you did fine 
^this

i know that NCEES has come out with a new practice exam book to prepare for CBT. i wonder how different it is.

i refuse to look into it unless i absolutely have to though..
^and these

First have hope that things will work out well.

Second, its waaaayyyy too early for this thread. Try to burn off the nervous energy in the spam thread, or at the gym.

I haven't started anything.  If I fail again, I will need to wait a year and reapply. Which, honestly, works out for the best, because if I had to open another study book right now, I'd hurl it straight out the nearest window.

if I had to open another study book right now, I'd hurl it straight out the nearest window.
HeavySecretDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif

Anyone taking the CBT version? I just don't know how to start studying for it lol. I looked at the textbooks that the folks on this board recommended. If I had to buy all those books, it would cost me at least $500 (btw I prefer to own books rather than rent so I don't feel rushed to return them). Anyways, I don't know if its worth buying ALL the books if the test is now CBT. Are there pdf versions out there that are cheaper? Any advice would be great :)  

Anyone taking the CBT version? I just don't know how to start studying for it lol. I looked at the textbooks that the folks on this board recommended. If I had to buy all those books, it would cost me at least $500 (btw I prefer to own books rather than rent so I don't feel rushed to return them). Anyways, I don't know if its worth buying ALL the books if the test is now CBT. Are there pdf versions out there that are cheaper? Any advice would be great :)  
I'm studying for the CBT exam in spring. This is my third try :(  I have a previous edition of the PE reference manual. I've compared with the newer version and it didn't look much different. If I were you, I would purchase the previous edition to save some money. If you can't bring it in to the exam, I don't think it'll make any difference, but you do want to study with it. 

I'm studying for the CBT exam in spring. This is my third try :(  I have a previous edition of the PE reference manual. I've compared with the newer version and it didn't look much different. If I were you, I would purchase the previous edition to save some money. If you can't bring it in to the exam, I don't think it'll make any difference, but you do want to study with it. 
Best of luck to you! Im still waiting for my application to get approved first, so i wont be taking the exam anytime soon. Let me know if you find the cbt version "easier" and how youre preparing for it this time. Apparently the chemical cbt pass rates went up after the transition so thats a positive note!

I'm about to start studying for this! I'm so excited not to have to lug a bunch of textbooks in; I can only imagine this format will be easier.

Hello all. I am a water resources engineer preparing to take the Environmental PE in May of 2019. My study plan of attack has been to read through all of the relevant sections of the Environmental Engineering PE Reference Manual (Lindeburg Edition 3), while doing the problems in those sections. As I read through the manual, I try to find all of the information listed in the PE handbook we will have during the test, and make sure I know how that material. Once I complete a Topic (Water, Air, etc.) I will then move on to practice problems in that section from a few practice exam and additional practice question books I bought. I am saving the NCEES practice exam for when I have completed reading the reference manual and doing the other practice questions. 

Does anyone have a different approach for preparing or have a critique to my current method. I have been studying since January 1 for the May 2 test and really doing the majority of my work on the weekends as I work full time I am sure like many of you. I think based on my current tracking, I will study just under 200 hours total (On track for 160 hours). 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Hey All, I plan on taking the cbt environmental exam and purchased the Introduction to Environmental Engineering 5th edition by Cornell. There are some good practice problems but it seems like they only give you the answer for a few problems. Even for the ones that do have the answer given, there is no solution shown 😕 Anybody have a solution reference manual that they can share? thank you :)

Hello all. I am a water resources engineer preparing to take the Environmental PE in May of 2019. My study plan of attack has been to read through all of the relevant sections of the Environmental Engineering PE Reference Manual (Lindeburg Edition 3), while doing the problems in those sections. As I read through the manual, I try to find all of the information listed in the PE handbook we will have during the test, and make sure I know how that material. Once I complete a Topic (Water, Air, etc.) I will then move on to practice problems in that section from a few practice exam and additional practice question books I bought. I am saving the NCEES practice exam for when I have completed reading the reference manual and doing the other practice questions. 

Does anyone have a different approach for preparing or have a critique to my current method. I have been studying since January 1 for the May 2 test and really doing the majority of my work on the weekends as I work full time I am sure like many of you. I think based on my current tracking, I will study just under 200 hours total (On track for 160 hours). 

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
I will be taking the CBT this spring too . I am super nervous as I have no idea what to expect. Anyone taking it in April?

I'm taking the CBT in May-ish too. (I haven't scheduled my exam yet, but I have to finish before June.) I've been out of school for 9 years and just really didn't feel prepared, so I signed up for an on-demand review course. It's ok, but the transition leaves me feeling like I have no idea what to expect. Would love to hear how the test goes for you guys!

@waternerdI still havn't signed up for a course yet. I think I'd rather wait to see how the cbt goes for everyone. Is there anything else you're doing to prepare for the exam? I'm so nervous as to how different this exam will be with it being closed book lol

Back