Thread to compile must have reference material during Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy167

Passed PE
Reaction score
I am starting a new thread so aspiring and those who have already taken PE can post important reference material to have during exam. There is enough information on the reference books, here I am trying to collect one here, one there type of information. 

Let me start 

For e.g. The List of NEMA Enclosure types. 

I would recommend, instead of bringing the List of NEMA enclosure types, learning how to find it in the NEC.  It is a specific question and there's so many to choose from the NEC that it would be wise to learn the techniques to finding the answer.  Also, if you aren't looking at the specific area, you could miss out on important notes that could sway the answer

Getting all of the NEC/NESC/etc questions on the exam is a great start.  I am comfortable saying I got 11-12 of the 12 questions asked right.  The awesome part is you know if you can find it the answer is there.  There were other questions that I had no clue on and I knew I couldn't draw up something to get it.  But the NEC has the questions there you just need to find it.

I second "a4u2fear" on this.  I'm in the same boat.  Pretty confident I got 11 out 12 correct.  My biggest error is I marked "NEC" next to those questions during my first pass on the exam.  Second pass I worked on the NEC but somehow I skipped/overlooked one and when I went back on 3rd pass I ignored it thinking I already answered it.  With 5 minutes to go I had a few answers I had not filled in and this was one of them, so I had to rush/guess on it.  Aaargh! lol

I would highly recommend a good set of tabs for the NEC and Tom Henry's Key Word Index.  Mike Holt also has a good index guide.  The NEC's index and table of contents aren't bad though. 

The Graffeo book and Ugly's Electrical References.  The latter has descriptions for the NEMA Enclosure Types, as well as great quick reference diagrams for all things Wye and Delta.  

For someone who has not worked with NEC much I suggest Complex Code Drill Book, if you go through that book once and try to find NEC codes it gives you a very good idea of what-is-where in the book! NEC questions can be correct if you find the right code/section. Of course they will give you tricky questions, so if you familiarize how to navigate through the code, it will be very helpful. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For someone who has not worked with NEC much I suggest Complex Code Drill Book, if you go through that book once and try to find NEC codes it gives you a very good idea of what-is-where in the book! NEC questions can be correct if you find the right code/section. Of course they will give you tricky questions, so if you familiarize how to navigate through the code, it will be very helpful. 
I second that!

The Graffeo book and Ugly's Electrical References.  The latter has descriptions for the NEMA Enclosure Types, as well as great quick reference diagrams for all things Wye and Delta.  
Just to be clear, when I gave a reference of NEMA enclosures, NEMA enclosure was not the only thing in mind. That was just for e.g. There can be many miscellaneous things like that which can be useful during the exam and I wanted to compile that reference material.  I will have to look at Ugly's reference , as long as we have the references in our pile of things is what matters. 

I brought the Ugly's too.  I use it at work sometimes.  I didn't use it at the exam though.  I guess I found the information I needed from other sources.  Not a bad one to bring though if you have it.

Back