Power Cutscore October 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioBox

Reaction score
The method utilized by ncees to determine the cutscore is called “[SIZE=12pt]modified angoff”[/SIZE]

google it/YouTube it. After you read up on it, come December if you fail the exam you deserve to fail. If you pass the exam you deserve to pass.

Interesting, thank you. This sounds about right given my experience and observations. 

Do you have a reference that states that this is what NCESS uses?

This method seems fair especially since the wording on the exam can be misleading.

There were some questions I went back and forth with it as to what was being asked because either the solution was more involved or it wasn't.

Nashi I agree. I am a P and C engineer (wiring and schematics) the protection questions through me off with the wording along with some of the theory questions.

Interesting, thank you. This sounds about right given my experience and observations. 

Do you have a reference that states that this is what NCESS uses?
Yes, power reference manual by Camara states this is the method used.

This method seems fair especially since the wording on the exam can be misleading.

There were some questions I went back and forth with it as to what was being asked because either the solution was more involved or it wasn't.
Did you report them to NCEES after the exam?

Unofficial rumors are circulating that this may be the lowest passing percentage to date.  Only reason we are hearing about it is because its bringing into question the validity of the NCEES scoring Methodology which is apparently a big deal to some people.  

Probably wont help you this go around, but perhaps in a cycle it will become clear and something may happen.  Maybe in 2021 they will have an updated test or something...  

Unofficial rumors are circulating that this may be the lowest passing percentage to date.  Only reason we are hearing about it is because its bringing into question the validity of the NCEES scoring Methodology which is apparently a big deal to some people.  

Probably wont help you this go around, but perhaps in a cycle it will become clear and something may happen.  Maybe in 2021 they will have an updated test or something...  
Interesting... 

the last pass rates for those who are curious.

Apr-18, Oct-17, Apr-17, Oct-16, Apr-16, Oct-15

57%, 60%, 66%, 66%, 64%, 60%

Is the release date this Friday or next Monday?
tumblr_inline_p5xfn9JSkx1rrb9yw_540.gif

I asked a homeless individual on the street.  In between the incoherent ramblings about the world being taken over by squirrels he indicated he was very concerned with the NCEES methodology.  I presumed he was talking about the scoring methodology.    

I would never post non-researched and inflammatory material to simply heighten the anxiety of test takers without cause.  I trust that homeless individuals insights greatly.  

The cutscore is determined by the amount of attempt it takes to capture the giant cow in Australia on a semi annual basis. Clearly some years it has taken at least 56 attempts. Hopefully this year it will be more like 40 since the cow is aging now.

Back