Life: Pre-exam then post-exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenderred

Reaction score
What have you been putting off to study/ prep? What are/were your biggest worries from putting life on hold?

Now that you've taken the exam, what are you starting to do with your newfound free time and surplus mental energy? Have these things changed from before the exam? 

(Future post license based question to be inserted here...)

For instance, prior to the exam, even prior to studying/ prepping, I was hesitant to get started on anything or commit to anything that would require a time commitment that I wouldn't have time for. So, instead, I would be needlessly worried about needing to get started studying but I didn't want to start too early and waste the effort. Make sense? That meant that I would end up staring my phone and scrolling through Reddit after my wife and I would get the kids down for bed, until it was time to go to bed. Sounds depressing because it was.

Now after, while I'm waiting like everybody else who tested in October, I'm tackling a HUGE honey-do list that has been building up for a long while (Masters, FE, and now PE) and have started to make the garage like how I've always wanted it. I am tempted to fire Kerbal Space Program up again and continue on with my career mode progress :) . But, for now making my garage functional, organizing my tools, and deciding the fate of my left-over college project parts is the goal.

Edit: Updated to be a more interesting topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
What have you been putting off to study/ prep? What are/were your biggest worries from putting life on hold?

Now that you've taken the exam, what are you starting to do with your newfound free time and surplus mental energy? Have these things changed from before the exam? 

(Future post license based question to be inserted here...)

For instance, prior to the exam, even prior to studying/ prepping, I was hesitant to get started on anything or commit to anything that would require a time commitment that I wouldn't have time for. So, instead, I would be needlessly worried about needing to get started studying but I didn't want to start too early and waste the effort. Make sense? That meant that I would end up staring my phone and scrolling through Reddit after my wife and I would get the kids down for bed, until it was time to go to bed. Sounds depressing because it was. 

Now after, while I'm waiting like everybody else who tested in October, I'm tackling a HUGE honey-do list that has been building up for a long while (Masters, FE, and now PE) and have started to make the garage like how I've always wanted it. I am tempted to fire Kerbal Space Program up again and continue on with my career mode progress :) . But, for now making my garage functional, organizing my tools, and deciding the fate of my left-over college project parts is the goal.

I put off just about everything for about 3.5 months before the exam.  I just didn't have the energy to do stuff because the stress of studying for an exam that is unknown to me (first time taker) took it all out of me.  My wife was very good to me during that whole time. It really was like putting life on hold and she was there and supported me when I didn't want to do projects like we did before, go out to eat/shop, essentially do anything.  I found myself going to work, coming home, studying, eating/watching tv, going to sleep, rinse and repeat. I pray that we do not have to relive that experience.  I just don't want to put her through that again. I know she would be just as supportive again and suck it up, but its not fair to her and my other family and friends.

Here's to hoping we don't have to go through that again. :drunk1:

My wife and I left our apartment and moved into a house about this time last year.  I’ve mainly been putting off household projects. One the exam was done, I painted a few rooms, hung new light fixtures, put in new light switches...all the stuff I’ve been itching to do to my house. This weekend, we’re overhauling the theatre setup in our basement. 

Oh, and I’m glad the release date for Red Dead Redemption 2 was the day of the exam...🙃

Now after, while I'm waiting like everybody else who tested in October, I'm tackling a HUGE honey-do list that has been building up for a long while (Masters, FE, and now PE) and have started to make the garage like how I've always wanted it. 

+1.  The wife's endless list that she expects done in a single day, garage organization, and finishing a bathroom remodel that's 3/4 done. 

+1.  The wife's endless list that she expects done in a single day, garage organization, and finishing a bathroom remodel that's 3/4 done. 
Something something nature something something wives something endless lists... It has been a few days already and I'm getting mixed messages about putting boxes away to park the car and come inside because she's lonely. My pegboard tool organizer is almost up and ready for tools to go on though :)  

My wife and I left our apartment and moved into a house about this time last year.  I’ve mainly been putting off household projects. One the exam was done, I painted a few rooms, hung new light fixtures, put in new light switches...all the stuff I’ve been itching to do to my house. This weekend, we’re overhauling the theatre setup in our basement. 

Oh, and I’m glad the release date for Red Dead Redemption 2 was the day of the exam...🙃
Oh man! Look at you guys go! Theater overhaul and a new video game. This is a great time to be done with the exam and studying.

15 years later........

Still trying to get the garage organized like I want it to be....

15 years later........

I hear you on that.   Seems like if I don't hire a contractor I can never finish a project.  Have nearly a dozen half finished projects around house. 

15 years later........

There's always hope that one day it'll get done. I know that if I sit down on the couch after my wife and I get the kids to bed, I'll couch potato until bed time. Just don't sit down.

I got married November 2017, went to New Zealand half of February, sold our house in April, moved into our new house in May, my son was born on Tuesday of exam week in October 2018.  I had no choice but to NOT put anything on hold.  Went to the exam on no sleep and passed, incredibly.  I think all of the good chaos in my life let me relax on exam day and not really care too much about it...if I failed I was just going to retake it the following April.  The little free time I did have I spent studying by staying in my office late every night with no distractions. 

I literally have no idea what I'm going to do with my free time in 2019 compared to 2018...maybe I'll become a professional geologist?

I got married November 2017, went to New Zealand half of February, sold our house in April, moved into our new house in May, my son was born on Tuesday of exam week in October 2018.  I had no choice but to NOT put anything on hold.  Went to the exam on no sleep and passed, incredibly.  I think all of the good chaos in my life let me relax on exam day and not really care too much about it...if I failed I was just going to retake it the following April.  The little free time I did have I spent studying by staying in my office late every night with no distractions. 

I literally have no idea what I'm going to do with my free time in 2019 compared to 2018...maybe I'll become a professional geologist?
HOLY CRAP congratulations on passing with all that going on! That's insane!

I put pretty much everything on hold while I was studying, but my main thing was our house. When we bought it 3 years ago, there wasn’t even an underground sprinkler system, and I’ve wanted to design and build one myself. Hoping to concentrate on it this year.

That, and spend more time with our kiddos. They grew up so fast even while I was studying; I don’t want to miss any more.

Back