Best Thanksgiving Recipes?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Anyone have any must-have Thanksgiving recipes?  Maybe something a step up from the canned, congealed cranberry glop?  We're headed to my sister's for Thanksgiving this year, which means I'm at the helm for dinner prep.

We're not big on turkey, so current plans are for brined baked chicken, glazed carrots, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and green bean casserole with bacon and cheese, but the rest is TBD.  I'm considering giving a french onion soup a whirl.

hash brown casserole! - its some good **** let me know if you want the recipe (fairly simple and a crowd pleaser)

My wife makes an awesome cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries, which are usually available this time of year. I can get the recipe for you if you want it. As I recall, it's not overly difficult. I'm usually in charge of the turkey, which I brine overnight then cook in the oven. I floated the idea of smoking the turkey this year, but was quickly shot down.

My wife makes an awesome cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries, which are usually available this time of year. I can get the recipe for you if you want it. As I recall, it's not overly difficult. I'm usually in charge of the turkey, which I brine overnight then cook in the oven. I floated the idea of smoking the turkey this year, but was quickly shot down.
I usually brine and do a light smoke on whole chickens when I can, but no smoker or grill at my sister's condo :(

Stuffed Cinnamon Crescent Rolls

ingredients: crescent roll dough, butter, cinnamon sugar, marshmallow

• Preheat oven to 375 F
  • Melt butter
  • roll a marshmallow in melted butter, coating entirely
  • roll the buttered marshmallow in cinnamon sugar, coating entirely
  • wrap the coated-buttered marshmallow in crescent roll dough, pinch to close
  • optional: coat the dough wrap in butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (my family doesn't do this step)
  • coat muffin tin with non-stick spray or material of choice
  • place in muffin/cupcake tin
  • repeat for desired number of rolls
  • bake at 375 F for ~15min

Last edited by a moderator:
An oldie but a goodie:

xPirff_NSvEfrmop8J3EHhBvwAc=.gif

I used to have the most awesomest, heart-palpitating buttermilk pie recipe ever.  I learned it when I was working offshore and "committed it to memory" so I never wrote it down.  Unfortunately, I forgot it and never got around to piecing it back together.  All I can remember off the top of my head is that it included 2 cups of sugar, 2 sticks of butter, 2 cups of buttermilk, and 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.  It was heavenly and made two pies.  I might try to make it again using other recipes for basic ingredient guidance.

Stuffed Cinnamon Crescent Rolls

ingredients: crescent roll dough, butter, cinnamon sugar, marshmallow

• Preheat oven to 375 F
  • Melt butter
  • roll a marshmallow in melted butter, coating entirely
  • roll the buttered marshmallow in cinnamon sugar, coating entirely
  • wrap the coated-buttered marshmallow in crescent roll dough, pinch to close
  • optional: coat the dough wrap in butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (my family doesn't do this step)
  • coat muffin tin with non-stick spray or material of choice
  • place in muffin/cupcake tin
  • repeat for desired number of rolls
  • bake at 375 F for ~15min
1. This may be the best edit I've ever seen on this board. 

2. What do these look like when finished? 

This is pretty close to our recipe for hash-brown casserole - we usually make double and add in left over ham and freeze it for a future dinner - +1

Ingredients:

• 32 ounces frozen hashbrowns, thawed
  • ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 (10¼-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
  • 16 ounces sour cream
  • ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
  • 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
  3. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until golden brown and bubbling, 30 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Add in that you need to take two packages of Ritz crackers and crumble them - mix with 1 stick of melted butter and spread on the top of the casserole--

now **** I am hungry!

This is pretty close to our recipe for hash-brown casserole - we usually make double and add in left over ham and freeze it for a future dinner - +1

Ingredients:

• 32 ounces frozen hashbrowns, thawed
  • ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 (10¼-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
  • 16 ounces sour cream
  • ½ cup finely chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
  • 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
  3. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake until golden brown and bubbling, 30 to 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Add in that you need to take two packages of Ritz crackers and crumble them - mix with 1 stick of melted butter and spread on the top of the casserole--

now **** I am hungry!
What kind of frozen hash browns do you use?  Are they the shredded kind, the potato chunk kind, or the frozen patty kind?

we get the frozen shredded kind ( we typically use the generic Kroger brand) & you don't have to thaw them

May have to try that.  Maybe get adventurous on the cheese selection.

It is solid, I have brought it to several pot luck Christmas work things here and I never even have to clean the pan hardly, it gets licked clean

And if you do a ham for thanksgiving, trust me on the chopped up leftover ham bits in the hashbrown casserole - we freeze it and save it for a day we don't want to cook..

Our normal thanksgiving set up is:

Turkey (Smoked)

Costco version of the Honey Baked Ham

Green Been casserole

Hasbrown Casserole

Mashed Tators / Gravy

Cranberry's (wifes decision)

Gluten Roll

1. This may be the best edit I've ever seen on this board. 

2. What do these look like when finished? 
LOL yeah. Greasing the muffin tin is important. They'll get stuck and look unappetizing if you don't grease it.

My family skips that optional step, so it ends up looking like a dinner roll.

images

If you follow the last step, it will look like this:

images

Back