Electrical Gear/Panelboards Applications Engineer

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLD PE

lower intestine
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've worked as an electrical designer in facilities/MEP firms for the past 12 years.  I've designed lighting, power, low voltage (data, fire alarm, security), and drawing in CAD from the electrical service to the building and laying out everything inside including the panel and lighting schedules.  Pretty typical for what you do at an MEP type firm.

I've been approached for an "applications engineer" position at one of the major power distribution firms (such as Siemens, Eaton, Schneider, etc.).  The job description is as follows:

• Engineering of systems most typically used in the monitoring and control of electrical power distribution
  • Consulting with customers to determine system operation requirements
  • Designing electrical control panels
  • Specifying and purchasing of hardware/software as required by project
  • Programming of PLC applications and HMI interfaces
  • Performing start-up services, troubleshooting and training for commissioned system
Just wondering if any of you are in this field and what it's like.  What are some of your day-to-day activities.  How difficult is some of this stuff to learn?  Just curious.  Looks exciting but I want to find out more.

Back