Green Book 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transportation books in general cost $1,000-$2 ,000 for testing purposes. Does the board look at these costs? If significant changes I could see requiring latest edition. Plus any prep class you may take. Time spent studying and red failure symbol is priceless.

From what I read and saw from the preview, Chapter 1 has significant changes. I don't know about the rest of other chapters. They didn't go into the detail.

This edition was literally released like a week ago....it won't be on a test for some time.

Relax.

I wouldn't worry about it. New references take about 1-2 years to make it onto the PE test. NCEES has to write the questions, review them with professionals, rewrite them, etc. For example, the HCM 6 was released in Oct 2016 and two years later was incorporated into the Oct 2018 PE test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same concern since I am going to take the PE exam April 2019. I agree with Rai's comment. But I am going to ask PE board or AASHTO to get an answer if possible.

If you look at the specifications from NCEES, they state  "PE exam specifications and design standards are posted 6 months before the exam administration. Updates for the April exams are posted in November, and updates for the October exams are posted in May."

The specifications still state that the 6th edition is the design standard for the exam.

I just contacted the AASHTO store and the NCEES. Both said at least the 6th edition is still useful for PE exam in April 2019. As Rebeccah623 said, the specification in NCEES website still would use the 6th edition for the PE exam in April 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back