October 2018 PE Water Exam Feelings

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinaul

Reaction score
What did you guys think of the test. I think I did better in the morning session than the afternoon. It seemed like the afternoon was longer and more difficult than the morning session. I had to guess on about 10-12 in the afternoon out of which 6 were educated guesses and the rest were just plain guesses. I guessed on 5 questions in morning session and they were all educated guesses. Let me what you guys thought of the test. I have taken this test once before and scored a 24 on each section with a total score of 48.  Not really sure what to expect this time around 

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the afternoon portion was definitely more challenging than I had anticipated. I took the EET WRE depth review on-demand course and I honestly can't say enough about how great Nazrul was in preparing his students or how tremendously helpful their binders are; All around, EET WRE review class and materials are top-notch. I had felt really good going into the exam as all of my practice exam scores were great, but as luck would have it I felt like a good amount of what I saw was not covered in the class, or maybe just didn't stick with me like most of the other material did. I felt like the breadth part of the exam overall wasn't too bad, especially the H&H stuff, but I'm a little worried I cut it too close in the afternoon. I was really hoping to walk away knowing for sure that I crushed it, but I'm definitely second guessing a few things I did. I've already woken up out of a dead sleep recollecting a mistake I made on a problem. Pretty siked about experiencing those minor panic attacks for the next six weeks or so! 

I’ve had a few panic attacks too. Wake up in the middle of the night questioning my choices for guesses and a few stupid mistakes that I shouldn’t have made. I put in a lot of effort this time around in preparing for the test but the test included some not so common type of questions that i had expected to see. This test was more difficult than the April one both in breadth and depth portions. Although I try to not think about the test and punish myself, I find myself going back into that anxiety mode. I guess we don’t have any other option but to wait it out. 

The afternoon portion was definitely more difficult than the morning. This is my second time taking the exam (the first was October 2017) and the 2017 was much easier than this time. I too put in a lot of effort to study my weak subjects  but the afternoon section was still very challenging. I agree, 10-12 of the afternoon problems I had to guess on because I ran out of time. It's the first thing I've thought about every morning since the exam. I think the best we can do is forget about it for now.

I found both am and pm challenging. My main issue was time management. Many questions on the pm had prolonged statements and lots of calculations and units conversion. If I had twenty more minutes I would have probably been able to solve 3 more questions on the pm. The conceptual questions ( both am and pm ) were tricky and hard to figure out. I also discovered that I messed up a couple of easy questions due to anxiety.

Yes there were some straight forward questions but unfortunately not enough to balance out time. At least not for an average person.

I guess we don’t have any other option but to wait it out. 
Au contrair! You may spam. It releases your stress, helps pass the time, and the results won't be released until the spam thread reaches 15k anyway. So what else would be better than to go spam your heart out?

@Mo84

I agree. If I had 15-20 more minutes I would’ve felt better about the test for sure. The problem statements were really long and required multiple steps of calculations and unit conversions. After the breadth exam was done I felt bad that I couldn’t give my best but after the depth portion I felt like the breadth exam went well relatively.I really hope at least 4-5 of my guesses were correct. Also, I wanna know how people are dealing with the anxiety and stress regarding the test. If you have some ideas, post here. 

@Mo84

I agree. If I had 15-20 more minutes I would’ve felt better about the test for sure. The problem statements were really long and required multiple steps of calculations and unit conversions. After the breadth exam was done I felt bad that I couldn’t give my best but after the depth portion I felt like the breadth exam went well relatively.I really hope at least 4-5 of my guesses were correct. Also, I wanna know how people are dealing with the anxiety and stress regarding the test. If you have some ideas, post here. 
Don't stress man, no matter what you gave it your best shot in that moment considering the circumstances. We can beat ourselves up over it until the results come out, but there's really no point. If you studied and prepared just have some faith that what you reviewed got you the score you needed. There will always be questions that catch you off guard or that never came up during your preparation no matter how much time you put into it, but we can't know what's going to be on the test so that's expected. We gave it our best shot, now just time to try to stay busy at work or at home until NCEES sends that email out saying results have been released in December.

I bet you passed though man, just think of all the time you put into it. You can miss about 24 questions, give or take. That's quite a bit, so I believe if you studied hard you probably got what you needed to get by with a passing score. Worse case scenario, you take it again and are now aware of some of the curveballs they may throw your way. But I'm hoping we passed and don't have to deal with that! Keep your head up, my friend!

@Sinaul Exercise helps especially outdoors if weather allows. I'll keep my fingers crossed and you do the same until we get that notification e-mail the first week of December or maybe sooner. We may have done better than we think we did, who knows. And just like @Otis McGrotis  said, there is a lot to miss. It looks like the test was noticeably difficult on many of us which may lead to a reduced passing score ( 52-54 hopefully ).

What's up y'all...I'm new here. I thought the exam was challenging overall, especially the afternoon session. I prepared a solid 3 months before and utilized EET's breadth and depth webinar sessions. I was extremely pleased with their detailed level of instruction, well organized binders and amount of problems we did through their homework, problem-solving sessions and simulated exams...so I went into the exam feeling very confident. I took risk by not studying much structural/steel in the AM portion but felt OK for the other topics. None of the questions I saw were completely new other than the theoretical questions they asked. I mainly used my breadth EET binder and used the CERM to hunt down some of the theoretical questions. Looking back and re-thinking/researching some of my answers, I know I made mistakes and there's others were I gave myself 50/50 chance of answering correctly...so, I think I  missed around 8.

I was really looking forward to the afternoon session...after surviving the morning session. I used the PASS method and answered easy problems first and re-attacked harder/more challenging ones. I was surprised at the level of complexity of the harder problems in the afternoon session. I don't know who writes some of the problem statements for NCEES or whether they're deliberatively nebulous...but it flustered me during several problems just trying to understand what they wanted me to answer. I also felt like there was a ton of theoretical and "left field" type problems...worst case scenario, I think I missed 14. 

I hope I don't have to re-take this sucker but would recommend EET (WRE Depth) for anyone wanting to better prepare themselves. My sense from everyone's comments here and EET WRE test takers was that this particular exam was harder...so I'm hoping that either some problems get written off or cut score is lowered.

Good luck to all...I know I'll need it!

My experience was a bit different in that I felt that the morning session was more difficult than the afternoon session. The reason being is that most of the afternoon session questions I was able to look up and solve for out of the CERM or PE prep material from the school of PE. I also focused more on practice problems for the afternoon session as I felt more competent with water resources problems. However, I think the afternoon session required a lot of computational effort and brain power. There was a large handful of questions in both sections that I had to make an educated guess on (a few I just straight up guessed), but overall I felt more confident in the afternoon session.

I found that time was not my enemy as I relied heavily on grabbing the low hanging fruit. I skipped a lot of problems that I thought would require more time for me to work through or look up in the reference manual. I realized after skipping through problems, I had two more hours left to go back and take my time on the ones I skipped (about a third of the problems.) Of those that I skipped, I think about half of them I had to guess on. However, I felt relieved knowing that at least I solved the easy ones first. 

I saw a handful of questions that were similar to ones I encountered during practice tests; however, they had small tweaks that completely threw me off.

A handful of the conceptual questions were just beyond me and I could not find any reference. Sadly, I couldn't even make an educated guess on those.

The worst part was not being able to find an answer remotely close to my calculated answer, even when I thought I knew what I was doing. Overall I feel the test was pretty brutal. Some questions I felt confident, other's just had me broken. My brain was pretty fried at the end of it. I guess we will just wait and see what happens in December.  

Hey everybody! Hope you guys are doing great! I was too until I realized this morning that we might be getting our results in a week from now. 

Hey everybody! Hope you guys are doing great! I was too until I realized this morning that we might be getting our results in a week from now. 
Ha! Man, I'm so anxious! Waiting for that email to notify us has been in the back of my mind all week. I'm getting nervous, and am still thinking about questions I botched but should have known. Fingers crossed for all of us!

giphy.gif

I am pretty anxious today more than usual. Not quite sure what to do. Basically I am looking at a promotion, a pay raise and a bigger bonus if I pass. If I don’t, I am probably gonna become a rapper. 

I am pretty anxious today more than usual. Not quite sure what to do. Basically I am looking at a promotion, a pay raise and a bigger bonus if I pass. If I don’t, I am probably gonna become a rapper. 
Between me and you, I think the results will be out this week. (Shhh, don't tell anyone) 

I'm pretty sure you should spam your heart out!

Congratulations @Mo84

I haven’t received my result yet. I took the test in Illinois and i probably wont find until Friday. How about everyone else?

Back