Personal reference notes

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPatil

Reaction score
Hello, I have prepared and gathered personal notes written in my handwriting. They are several pages stapled and secured in a ring binder.

My notes are in pencil. Are personal notes written in pencil allowed? I didn't find any specific notes related to this in NCEES exam guide.

Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest making a copy of them as to not run the risk of having a proctor accuse you of writing in your notes. Just my opinion. I'd also not staple the notes so that you can flip through them easier.
This is the main reason people advise against pencil notes. During the test, you are only allowed to write in test booklet not your references.  If proctor accuses you of writing in your references, it's your word against theirs. There's no way to tell what was notes while studying,  and what, if any was added during the exam. With all the time, money and effort put in to studying,  do you want to risk being kicked out if they think you wrote in your references during the exam?

This is the main reason people advise against pencil notes. During the test, you are only allowed to write in test booklet not your references.  If proctor accuses you of writing in your references, it's your word against theirs. There's no way to tell what was notes while studying,  and what, if any was added during the exam. With all the time, money and effort put in to studying,  do you want to risk being kicked out if they think you wrote in your references during the exam?
I absolutely agree with all said above. If, however you hadn't copied and just brought pages in pencil, and get accused of writing in your reference during the exam when you did not, it should not be TOO difficult to show that there wasn't anything related to the actual exam you were given... still don't want to have to fight that battle unnecessarily.

A potentially easier solution is to highlight over what you have written in pencil.

I then used erasable pen to make the rest of my notes.

Back