one house built to last

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I saw this house on the news and then later saw the news story about it - pretty interesting that the one built above all the codes & with concrete walls withstood the hurricane.. although it looks like some others are still standing but it looks like it saved the house behind it maybe-

15MICHAEL-HOUSE-1-articleLarge.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/14/us/hurricane-michael-florida-mexico-beach-house.html

It’s not a code issue, it’s either age of construction or problems with design/construction/inspections.

The main reason this house survived like it did is most likely due to age of destruction.  Living in Jersey I saw the damage after Hurricane Sandy. With Michael it looked like large areas had no signs of the houses except what appeared to be slab foundations which probably didn't have the proper hurricane strapping.  I've come across many houses where the original builderst literally put down a layer of mortar and just build right on top of existing ground with no footings. 

The article mentions the house was built for 200+mph winds. That seems a little overkill and over exaggeration.  Yes the walls may be strong and they can strap around the entire building.  However it is not likely that the roof(not including exact location of strapping), windows, doors, and all other finishes can withstand all that wind. Once you find the weak spot the whole building become compromised.

Sure the other houses are old but Its still pretty cool that this one right on the ocean forefront took a heavy beating and stood.  Newer isn't always better, in terms of residential construction and the downgrade in quality over the years..

I worked the aftermath of Hurricane Andrews with the Army and it seemed the opposite was true then, the older houses faired better than the newer houses..

I read the article a couple of days ago and I think they did put a lot of effort into making it able to handle a big storm. The owners are also very quick to point out that they had the money to build it that way- extra deep pilings, tear away features on the outside steps, plus they were able to hire a company to come in a seal it up before the storm. 

It also seems pretty telling that the structures standing nearby are up on piers. I don't think a lot of slab foundation houses had a chance. 

I have a friend who had (still has) a house in Cape San Blas, she told me having a house on the coast is almost a 2:1 insurance payment to mortgage payment ratio - I didn't know they had that kind of money but maybe spending 2X the normal cost of the house is worth it, if you have enough money to pay cash for the house and not have a mortgage..

also explains why a decent house is $2500+ / week to rent in that area..

I think the main reason this house survived like it did is because it's made of reinforced concrete.

Not many houses get destroyed by typhoons (hurricanes) in the Pacific island territories like Guam, because the defacto standard for building construction (for middle class and up, anyway) is reinforced concrete for everything including the roof,  and accordion shutters on all windows.  

I have a friend who had (still has) a house in Cape San Blas, she told me having a house on the coast is almost a 2:1 insurance payment to mortgage payment ratio - I didn't know they had that kind of money but maybe spending 2X the normal cost of the house is worth it, if you have enough money to pay cash for the house and not have a mortgage..

also explains why a decent house is $2500+ / week to rent in that area..
This also depends on whether the house in in fact in a flood zone and where the finished floor is in relation to the flood zone elevation. In Jersey many houses that weren't destroyed by Sandy, are still being lifted because they are lower than the finished floor elevation. Having a house lower than the finished floor elevation gets you a higher premium on flood insurance.  

One issue that coastal communities face is the fact that not everyone has flood insurance.  If properties are passed down generation to generation,  they usually don't have flood insurance and don't pay attention to flood regulations much. However, if the current owner or future owner ever decides to sell and/or get a mortgage, the mortgage company would require flood insurance. 

I read the article a couple of days ago and I think they did put a lot of effort into making it able to handle a big storm. The owners are also very quick to point out that they had the money to build it that way- extra deep pilings, tear away features on the outside steps, plus they were able to hire a company to come in a seal it up before the storm. 

It also seems pretty telling that the structures standing nearby are up on piers. I don't think a lot of slab foundation houses had a chance. 
That stair design is actually not compliant with FEMA standards. The bottom should have breakaway enclosure, but stairs should have stayed in place. 1) That is now a massive structure being tossed around in the water hitt8ng other houses. 2) If someone was to stay in the house, they'd be trapped with no means of getting out or rescuers getting in safely. Hard to secure a later during a hurricane.

If in flood zone that has wave action,  which this most likely did, the deep piling foundation is standard practice.

Many houses get destroyed in hurricane due to foundation damage. The pile foundation allows the water and waves to flow under the house without affecting the structural integrity of the house. 

Not many houses get destroyed by typhoons (hurricanes) in the Pacific island territories like Guam, because the defacto standard for building construction (for middle class and up, anyway) is reinforced concrete for everything including the roof,  and accordion shutters on all windows.  
Considering how much **** falls off my house every time we have a storm, I wish it was the defacto standard here, too.

Back