More complicated structural analysis?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEprepping

Reaction score
How practiced are you all in your structural analysis skills? I'm realizing that I am quite rusty with the indeterminate analysis methods as well as maybe structural cross section analyses. The determinate stuff is pretty straight forward and I've probably been focusing too much on design and codes. How important is it to be well versed in things like the moment distribution method? Would it be a good idea to spend a large portion of my remaining time focusing on the more in depth structural analysis?

I would definitely at least go over some example problems involving more in depth concepts. if you can outline the process to go through, you could at least get partial points on the afternoon problems. a friend said he made up a moment distribution problem and really found value in it.

I would definitely at least go over some example problems involving more in depth concepts. if you can outline the process to go through, you could at least get partial points on the afternoon problems. a friend said he made up a moment distribution problem and really found value in it.
Sorry, but partial points?? Does such a thing exist?!

Sorry, but partial points?? Does such a thing exist?!
I guess I should inquire which exam you're studying for... 

moment distribution is probably not very likely on the PE compared to the SE. on the SE exam, the afternoon has 4 multiple part problems. if you outline the steps indicating you know what you need to do but prob just ran out of time, you could get partial credit, maybe enough to pass. I assumed you meant the SE. 

I believe it would be good to review the concepts of section/equilibrium on trusses! But, as long as you can determine the forces in members or at joints, on the PE it doesn't matter the process you use to solve for them  -just that you get the right answer. 

I guess I should inquire which exam you're studying for... 

moment distribution is probably not very likely on the PE compared to the SE. on the SE exam, the afternoon has 4 multiple part problems. if you outline the steps indicating you know what you need to do but prob just ran out of time, you could get partial credit, maybe enough to pass. I assumed you meant the SE. 

I believe it would be good to review the concepts of section/equilibrium on trusses! But, as long as you can determine the forces in members or at joints, on the PE it doesn't matter the process you use to solve for them  -just that you get the right answer. 
Oh lol! Got excited there for a minute.

Oh lol! Got excited there for a minute.
in the PE case, i would start wrapping up studying this weekend, focus on getting organized, and use the multiple passes approach to taking the exam. save the concepts you're not super confident in for the end of the exam. this allows you to use your time more efficiently, and keeps you from feelings of discouragement until the end of your time blocks. 

you're gonna kill it!! 

Back