Ski Season is Around the Corner!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brancity

Reaction score
I am located in Denver and I started doing snowboarding last year at keystone. It just has so much fun! Doing epic pass again this year and excited for the season. 

Anyone here like skiing or snowboarding?

<Raises Hand>

I'm a mid-westerner but love to ski out west as I'm now spoiled buy the epic winter activities in that region. Aspen (Snowmass & Highlands) is probably my favorite next to Vail. There are a few other veteran members on this board who are also from the CO area (@Road Guy @FLBuff PE).

2008_0222aspen080005.JPG

Ready for the season! maybe well get an early start this year..

Were Copper Loyalists,  but I did buy a 4 pack to Loveland this year, always wanted to give that place a try-

Sucks they did away with the Rocky Mtn Super Pass this year.  I would say I will miss Mary Jane, but most of the times I would go Panoramic lift would be down and then the resort really sucks...

tlJpn3e.jpg

hjoRN4X.jpg

I like to ski! My fiance likes to snowboard. I've never bought a pass, but typically make it to the mountains in Tahoe two or maybe three times a season.

What’s a season Pass run at Tahoe?

Wife and I looked into going to Vail for our anniversary this January - HFS like $350/ night for a shitty room!

Kids and I did a lot of skiing that involved places with no lifts - was pretty fun...and no lift lines!

b03f5dc0e347b25f2594e83c182f028d.jpg

They're not even that expensive unless I was going to get something like the new Ikon pass. If I were more serious about skiing, I'd probably get the Mountain Collective.

we thought the IKON was way overpriced, it may not be bad if its just two people and you want to add on some days at Jackson Hole or something, but we used to buy Adult Rocky Mountain Season Pass for $450 (buy it at the end of the season) and then for the teenagers it was around $350 - but that was unlimited skiing at Copper/ Winter Park/ Eldora and then 7 days at Steamboat and 3 day at Crested Butte with no blackout dates -which I thought was a pretty decent deal, but to get the same thing from IKON was around $650 for adults and I think $499 for kids? - I may be off but it was almost an extra grand a season for a family of 5.

Wife and I each bought  a4 pack with a bonus day to Loveland this year, smaller resort, but got 5 days for around $150 - and they are transferable to other people.  I have always wanted to ski over I-70 at the Tunnel and then back under I-70 but maybe its not going to be as fun as it looks!

I still get emails from "Winter place" West Virginia where we ski'd at before we moved here, and their season pass is like $650 bucks (for a place with 7 runs)!

In my experience, ski passes were much more expensive on the East Coast. Or, at least, in Vermont, where I used to live. They seemed to be more in the $800-$1000 range for just a single mountain, if it was a bigger one (I think the pass combinations have changed a lot since I last looked though), whereas here it seems that single/double mountain passes cap around $600 for adults.

I might do a four day pass thing too, but it's more like $400.

We bought Ikon, but it's just the two of us now.  The wife has a conference at Snowmass so we'll get a free room there, and our son and daughter in law will ski with us at Mammoth in February.  A friend with the Cincinnati Ski Club has a great deal for room at Jackson, we'll see about airfare... 

^plus tons of skiing at Copper.

@Road Guy there's great skiing at Loveland  -  but the wind can get pretty crazy,.  We've been packed in like sardines in the warming hut at the top of the lift.

For upskiing - hiking up Arapahoe Basin by moonlight is an incredible experience.  bring headlamps for the trip down.  And don't park at the early riser lot as they lock it after 6 pm and you might be stuck there...(speaking from experience)

We went to Breckinridge in Colorado last year for the first time. I liked it but I think Keystone is still my favorite.

^plus tons of skiing at Copper.
[mention=1]Road Guy[/mention] there's great skiing at Loveland  -  but the wind can get pretty crazy,.  We've been packed in like sardines in the warming hut at the top of the lift.
For upskiing - hiking up Arapahoe Basin by moonlight is an incredible experience.  bring headlamps for the trip down.  And don't park at the early riser lot as they lock it after 6 pm and you might be stuck there...(speaking from experience)
Let’s plan to do that moonlight uphill this year!

I also keep a set of bolt cutters in the back of the Jeep “for stuff” like that //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_wink.png

I have only skid at Breck twice but I am
Not a fan - but it may be the type of people that always seem to be at Breck - plus that ridiculous gondola ride from the parking lot......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get a Classic Pass for the Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands ski areas, 7 days, with 30% off additional days. If early season is good this year, I might start to develop snow flu and take some days to get my ski legs and some early turns. Offspring #1 is in 5th grade this year, and I guess Colorado 5th graders get a free ski pass to a bunch of mountains, so we might be heading to some other areas this year. The piss poor snow year last year really has me itching to get out on the slopes. @cement let me know when you'll be in the area. We can take some turns together.

no lifts = no thank you

We went to Breckenridge last year and really liked it.  We have always skied somewhere in Colorado, but are thinking of going to Big Sky this spring.  

Big Sky is a great mountain. I haven't skied there for a long time (decades), but work has taken me there in the summers. I'd love to go back and ski there, maybe once Offspring #2 is a better skier.

Back