Practice exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nashi

Reaction score
I just took the morning session Eng Pro Guide exam and I want to cry. It was so hard! Im hoping the afternoon test I do better in. 

How does everybody else feel? 

The NCEES practice exam I did better on. 

I feel like crying too at this point. 🤧 Whenever I don't get a problem right after 6 months of studying I feel like kicking myself in the teeth. The Eng Pro Guide Exam is difficult and probably on-par with the actual exam in terms of steps and difficulty of problems. However, it all comes down to concepts. Nearly all of the concepts can be applied to answer the questions in the practice exam. Sometimes one concept or multiple concepts. Just have to make a positive effort.

I have been doing School of PE practice problems and they're even more harder but I think they're just used to instill concepts and they're not reflective of actual problems you'd see on the exam. Some require extensive multiple steps not seen in a 6-minute problem.

Keep on climbing. We have two weeks left. Just stay positive and hopeful and relax. Whatever will be, will be. It's just an 80-question multiple choice test. There are way worse things in life. Just feel the flow.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to use the rest of the time we have to drill through problems to try to identify any weak areas I have. I'm just ready for it to be over!!!!!

I haven't booked a room yet and I'm debating on if I want to book an extra night for Friday as well. I have an almost 3 hr drive to the testing location. I'm sure I'll really want to get back home to my husband and kiddo but I'll also want to sit down with a glass of whiskey/beer/wine or all of the above then sleep for a solid 12 hours.  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes don't panic, but what do I know?  I'm a first time test taker so I don't know what to expect either.  I've taken the NCEES practice exam three times and just getting to where I'm in the 80% range so don't feel bad.  Yes I have the Eng Pro Guide practice exam and those are harder questions so I'm getting ready to take that one in the next few days.  Just make a list of ones you missed and try to learn why you missed them.  I had one the other day I SWORE I had done right but I used the wrong formula, for example.

No matter how well you prepare, you're going to come across at least a few questions you'll have no clue how to do.  

Eng pro guides is on par with the exam.  Complex Imaginary is not.
Second this.

Also, bring the NCEES FE Handbook with you and tab the Electrical Engineering and Engineering Economics sections.  It was good for several correct answers that I wouldn't have had a reference for in the other 12 books I brought to the exam.  

Second this.

Also, bring the NCEES FE Handbook with you and tab the Electrical Engineering and Engineering Economics sections.  It was good for several correct answers that I wouldn't have had a reference for in the other 12 books I brought to the exam.  
I have the handbook and tabbed this section.  Thanks for mentioning it.

So, can I totally avoid CI problems and just focus NCEES and Engproguides problem for my preparation? 
I wouldn't say that.  CI problems are very good at drilling in the fundamentals of power mathematics and engineering.  Knowing how to do them and do them quickly is to my mind a prerequisite for doing well on the exam.  Just don't expect the difficulty of the CI problems to be reflective of what is on the actual exam.  It will be closer to the NCEES Practice Exam, or even closer still the EngProGuides exam (at least in the case of the April 2018 version).  

Practice (CI tests) + learning from mistakes + practice (EngProGuides Exam) + learning from mistakes + practice (Graffeo) + learning from mistakes + practice (NCEES practice exam) + learning from mistakes + practice (NEC code problems) + reading Wildi + YouTube videos = My preparation.

Practice (CI tests) + learning from mistakes + practice (EngProGuides Exam) + learning from mistakes + practice (Graffeo) + learning from mistakes + practice (NCEES practice exam) + learning from mistakes + practice (NEC code problems) + reading Wildi + YouTube videos = My preparation.
Graffeo was my most useful non-NEC reference during the exam, far and away.  It's where I went first whenever I had a conceptual question, and half the time it provides enough information to give you confidence in your answer.  The mathematical questions in the back of the book are again good practice and necessary to know how to do but don't expect them to be as difficult as the real thing. 

The other book that really helped was Tom Henry's Keyword Index for the NEC

https://www.amazon.com/2017-Key-Word-Index-Henry/dp/B01N41UM2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539371465&sr=8-1&keywords=tom+henry+keyword

This was an absolute *must* for me in navigating the NEC quickly enough to answer all the questions in time.

i think you'll be extremely lucky to pass just focusing on these three items only.  
There's really not much else, though. All I could do was CI, Spin-Up, Graffeo, EngProGuides and the NCEES practice exam. The rest is just reading through concepts and theory and knowing my references.

There's really not much else, though. All I could do was CI, Spin-Up, Graffeo, EngProGuides and the NCEES practice exam. The rest is just reading through concepts and theory and knowing my references.
I did School of PE as well.  The courses were hit or miss but I thought the notes provided were helpful.  I've also heard good things about the Georgia Tech course.  

I did School of PE as well.  The courses were hit or miss but I thought the notes provided were helpful.  I've also heard good things about the Georgia Tech course.  
Me too. I did the workshop problems. However, they're really not representative of actual test type questions. Some are very long with multiple steps and some are repeats of the NCEES practice exam. I guess it's good for drilling in concepts. I do like the notes. They include a lot of good information.

I can't speak for Georgia Tech. I probably should have taken that course.

i think you'll be extremely lucky to pass just focusing on these three items only.  
Obviously not, i will be surprised as well. Obviously anyone needs to know the underlying theories very well to pass it. 

I do understand CI, Spin-Up and Graffeo practice problems are good for drilling in concepts but the difficulty level of these problems are not close to the real thing. Everyone says NCEES and especially engproguides exam are closest to the real thing. So i was just wondering, what if I practice NCESS and engproguides exams repeatedly (like 5/6 times) and know the underlying theories to solve those problems like back of my hand? This might just help me to pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone says NCEES and especially engproguides exam are closest to the real thing. So i was just wondering, what if I practice NCESS and engproguides exams repeatedly (like 5/6 times) and know the underlying theories to solve those problems like back of my hand? This might just help me to pass.
interesting statement. Anyone who has passed can you please shed some light into this 

interesting statement. Anyone who has passed can you please shed some light into this 
Theres no point in memorizing problems. Doing the same exam 10 times is pointless. Someone posted before the April exam that they would read the first sentence of the problem and be able to answer the question. Whats the point? You aren't going to get questions you've seen before on the exam.

Theres no point in memorizing problems. Doing the same exam 10 times is pointless. Someone posted before the April exam that they would read the first sentence of the problem and be able to answer the question. Whats the point? You aren't going to get questions you've seen before on the exam.
I don't think you need to practice NCEES or Engproguides exam more than 3 or 4 times. By that time you'll know in and out of all those problem. The idea is to make sure you know the underlying theory very well so that you can solve any problem no matter how many different ways they throw those problems to you.

Back