CA Seismic problem help:R , Omega, Cd

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mskate

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to forum and I tried to review Board Rules but it seems the link is broken.  I'm aware however of the NCEES posting regrading their rules, but I wanted to ask a general question about seismic theory (try not to get into gray area with a specific problem).  Is that allowed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I'm new to forum and I tried to review Board Rules but it seems the link is broken.  I'm aware however of the NCEES posting regrading their rules, but I wanted to ask a general question about seismic theory (try not to get into gray area with a specific problem).  Is that allowed?
I don't think there's any problem with asking questions about seismic theory, as long as you don't ask a specific test question? But others can confirm.

Feel free to discuss engineering theory all you want.  Just do not discuss actual questions that you've encountered on the examinations.

Feel free to discuss engineering theory all you want.  Just do not discuss actual questions that you've encountered on the examinations.
Why does BPELSG list Design of Wood Structures ASD/LRFD 7th Edition, (2014) for its wood seismic theory as reference when all the codes are based on 2016 California Building Code, 2015 International Building Code and ASCE 7-10 which have different table values (ASD/LRFD 7th edition references 2010 codes). In theory the board is setting engineers up for failure with these conflicting manuals listed for the exam but we can't discuss the questions on the exam to confirm/disprove this. I just know 2016 CBC is the only one codified in California Law.

https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/cerefs.shtml.

Why does BPELSG list Design of Wood Structures ASD/LRFD 7th Edition, (2014) for its wood seismic theory as reference when all the codes are based on 2016 California Building Code, 2015 International Building Code and ASCE 7-10 which have different table values (ASD/LRFD 7th edition references 2010 codes). In theory the board is setting engineers up for failure with these conflicting manuals listed for the exam but we can't discuss the questions on the exam to confirm/disprove this. I just know 2016 CBC is the only one codified in California Law.

https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/cerefs.shtml.
I apologize for the delay in responding to this...didn't really see this until recently. 

The California Board includes that reference, in addition to references to specific building codes, in its suggested reference list because it is believed that this is a good source for the theory of designing diaphragms, sub-diaphragms and distributing loads to shear walls, etc., which does not really change with a change in codes.

It is important to understand that the intent of the California Civil exam in this instance is to provide a manner for the licensure candidate to demonstrate competency in practicing civil engineering as it relates to seismic factors normally occurring in California and the application of certain building codes.  The exam is NOT intended to test the candidate simply on their knowledge of the building codes.  The intended audience for those codes is not limited to engineers and in many cases do not require a license to understand.

I hope this answers your question.

I apologize for the delay in responding to this...didn't really see this until recently. 

The California Board includes that reference, in addition to references to specific building codes, in its suggested reference list because it is believed that this is a good source for the theory of designing diaphragms, sub-diaphragms and distributing loads to shear walls, etc., which does not really change with a change in codes.

It is important to understand that the intent of the California Civil exam in this instance is to provide a manner for the licensure candidate to demonstrate competency in practicing civil engineering as it relates to seismic factors normally occurring in California and the application of certain building codes.  The exam is NOT intended to test the candidate simply on their knowledge of the building codes.  The intended audience for those codes is not limited to engineers and in many cases do not require a license to understand.

I hope this answers your question.
Its a partial but helpful answer and its tricky to get into why without going into ''actual questions' territory.

As you mentioned, the exam is intended to demonstrate competency in Civil engineering "in California and the application of certain building codes". ASD/LRFD isn't a code book but it references codes, and a contradicting set of codes that in some cases use different formulas (To clarify the specific formula numbers it references are correct but the print is from older codes so one without the code book naturally assumes the formulas printed in the book are current referenced formula numbers). The physics may be the same but just like how SDS and SD1 are often used for calculations instead of SS and S1 when they're based off the same event data, the design forces are usually calculated for building code allowances rather than the peak earthquake event.

Back