Seat Cushions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gomeybear

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just found out where the exam location will be for me.  Im familiar with the location and that they’ll likely use metal folding chairs for seats.  My question to y’all is would I be allowed to bring in a seat cushion? If I sit for too long on a hard chair I tend to start getting sciatica.  

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
You should check the exam authorization form to see if it's disallowed or explicitly allowed. You may not get that form for another week or so though.

The interpretation and enforcement of rules vary by location. If you have any doubts I recommend contacting your state board prior to the exam.

Worst case scenario, I suppose you could buy a cheap cushion and take it to the exam site. Ask the proctor at the door if its allowed, and if they say no then leave it outside the test site.

ASCE were giving away seat cushions during the lunch break at my location for the simple act of providing your email. 

I still get mailers from them. I’m an ME and have no intention of joining ASCE  

That seat cushion was so worth it, though. 

Hello all,

Just found out where the exam location will be for me.  Im familiar with the location and that they’ll likely use metal folding chairs for seats.  My question to y’all is would I be allowed to bring in a seat cushion? If I sit for too long on a hard chair I tend to start getting sciatica.  

Thanks,

Mike
Hello gomeybear....I am in California and brought a seat cushion to my test site. Others did too and the proctors were OK with it, in fact they didn't even question it. I agree with RBHeadge though... contact your state board and ask if this is something they would allow, I can't imagine them saying no.

Good luck with studying these final few weeks !

With all due respect for asking state boards questions...

Bringing a seat cushion is like bringing a sweatshirt. If they deny you that, they are truly evil people. Just bring it. 

Geez. 

Bringing a seat cushion is like bringing a sweatshirt. If they deny you that, they are truly evil people. Just bring it.
I'm not disagreeing with you but Maryland prohibits wearing anything on the wrists. So yeah, nothing surprises me anymore.

I'm not disagreeing with you but Maryland prohibits wearing anything on the wrists. So yeah, nothing surprises me anymore.
Apples and oranges.  Given the capabilities of wrist electronics these days, it not surprising that they would adopt a blanket rule about anything worn on the wrist.  there's no sense in creating a list of wrist-borne things that are/are not accpetable (i.e. jewelry and bracelets are ok, but smart watches/fitbits/anything electronic is not).

Folding metal chairs are the worst. I wish I could bring a booster seat because I feel like the exam table is so high.. I’m also pretty short.

I brought and used a seat cushion.. Maryland, April 2018. I didn't approach and ask a proctor about it, I just took it out of my clear plastic bin along with all my other stuff and sat down on it. Left it on my chair at lunch and never had an issue. If in doubt, check with the proper authorities. 

I did not bring one with me and I am regretting it. I had the bare minimum references and a couple of review binders and all of it weighed no less than 80 lbs. I said I wasn’t going to bring the AAAHTO or PCI manuals, but I did. Where did I cheap out? Seat cushion. Too bulky I said, not bringing it.

It wasn’t that I was too uncomfortable during the exam, but afterwards my butt and hips felt it, being in that position for so long.

Learn my lesson...bring a seat cushion. If they confiscate it, oh well, it’s worth a shot.

I brought a seat cushion this past Friday that I specifically bought for the exam, it helped greatly. This is my second time taking the exam, and the seat cushion changed everything from a comfort stand point. No achy back or having to sit up high because of a short chair. 

Back