Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
PWest

Taking PTOE Oct 2018

I'm signed up to take the PTOE exam in a week or two. I know that the test was revamped to make it more difficult. Does anyone who has taken it recently have any tips on what to study. I'm reviewing the latest refresher course but I'm hearing that I'm expected to know various formulas and components that aren't covered in the course. This test definitely extends outside my current field and I'm concerned that I don't know enough outside of my knowledge base (Traffic Signals, Signing, Marking, MOT, Ped/Bike facilities). Any advice?

I took it today. Didn’t really do any preparation other than the typical day to day review the MUTCH, HCM, and Greenbook. Felt it was pretty tough and very subjective. What’d You think?

On 11/1/2018 at 8:34 PM, Charlotte said:

I just took the exam on the past Wednesday. How long to get the result?

I have no idea. Hopefully soon. I did not think it to be easy. Hopefully I did better than I think...

• Like 1

I found the exam challenging. A good portion of the test questions were about the "best" way to approach a problem or situation. Some were even book specific such as, "what is the best way according to the HCM?". Definitely a few quantitative problems with missing formulas that we were "expected to know". I guess we just wait now. Past test takers say to expect results around the beginning of December.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:41 PM, RRod said:

I have no idea. Hopefully soon. I did not think it to be easy. Hopefully I did better than I think...

Thank you. I checked last year and it looks that the result was available November 24,2017.

Got my results yesterday. I passed! Now I just have to wait for my RSP results.

On 11/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, PWest said:

Got my results yesterday. I passed! Now I just have to wait for my RSP results.

Congrats! Any advice to leave here now that you're done?

Hello Everyone,

I signed up for the PTOE exam which is scheduled towards the end of February. I bought the ITE refresher course for preparation and have most of the manuals to study. I have some questions that need clarification:

- How much or long of preparation do we need to do for the exam?

- Other than the refresher course, did you guys go through all the manuals? If yes, do we have to touch base everything in each manual?

- Are the questions mostly subjective or quantitative? And the approximate ratio of subjective to quantitative questions?

- I have heard from the previous threads that the questions are indirect and experience related unlike the PE exam, any examples on that?

- Did you find the questions in the actual exam similar to the ones from the practice exam on the website?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Revanth.