Jump to content
Engineer Boards
​ ​
jnspark

Index for "Electrical Machines, Drives, and Power Systems" by Theodore Wildi

Recommended Posts

I purchased the cheaper international edition of the Wildi book and am extremely frustrated with the horrible index.  I was wondering if anybody on the board and who has the US edition can tell me if the index in that copy is useful?  For example, looking at transformers in the int'l edition simply returns a ton of page numbers and no sub categories like ideal transformer model, equations, loses, etc.  Throughout the whole book it's like this and I have decided the book is useless since I can't just pick a topic to look up and read on, which translate to the test as not being able to find an obscure tidbit when needed on a hard question.

If the US edition is better, is it possible to get a scan of that and hope the page numbers are the same?

Thanks

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Index of the US edition isn't good either. I bought hard cover latest edition from Amazon. This book is great to read but not the reference material for a test maybe that is the reason they did not emphasized on making a great index. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phenomenon083 said:

Index of the US edition isn't good either. I bought hard cover latest edition from Amazon. This book is great to read but not the reference material for a test maybe that is the reason they did not emphasized on making a great index. 

Wildi wasn't making a academic book or even a test reference. 

The man was arguably genius level and  wanted to impart everything he learned in the course of his career in a way that technicians could understand and use to advance themselves in a strait forward way.  That is why its so light on calculations (and uses simplifications, rules of thumb, or condensed equations)... we aren't his target audience. 

Kind of speaks to how good of a reference it is though when Engineer's studying for their professional exam can use a 60 year technicians reference!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Szar said:

Kind of speaks to how good of a reference it is though when Engineer's studying for their professional exam can use a 60 year technicians reference

Wildi is my main preparation material for power PE exam because it helps me to understand easily the underlying theory of a topic/problem. But as i said earlier and you also mentioned this book was not made for a test reference. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, Phenomenon083 said:

Wildi is my main preparation material for power PE exam because it helps me to understand easily the underlying theory of a topic/problem. But as i said earlier and you also mentioned this book was not made for a test reference. 

Wildi is good but along the same lines, if you dont understand a topic or the theory, Google it until you reach full understanding. Watch any youtube videos available that explain that theory. Master the subject. Print it all out and put it in a binder and tab it in case you need it for the exam.  

Goodluck

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 11:18 AM, Szar said:

Wildi wasn't making a academic book or even a test reference. 

The man was arguably genius level and  wanted to impart everything he learned in the course of his career in a way that technicians could understand and use to advance themselves in a strait forward way.  That is why its so light on calculations (and uses simplifications, rules of thumb, or condensed equations)... we aren't his target audience. 

Kind of speaks to how good of a reference it is though when Engineer's studying for their professional exam can use a 60 year technicians reference!

These are my sentiments exactly. 

The book is essentially his Magnus opus and life's work. It's everything he figured out along the way when all of this stuff was new. Imagine that. Think about how old induction motors are. In his career, it was all groundbreaking and state of the art technology that was being figured out by trial and error. Think mad scientists and crazy laboratories. It's pretty crazy when you stop and think about it. Now, all this is just part of our modern everyday life that no one ever even gives a second thought to except for engineers who apply it towards practical problems.

 

Edited by Zach Stone, P.E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2018 at 11:53 AM, jnspark said:

I purchased the cheaper international edition of the Wildi book and am extremely frustrated with the horrible index.  I was wondering if anybody on the board and who has the US edition can tell me if the index in that copy is useful?  For example, looking at transformers in the int'l edition simply returns a ton of page numbers and no sub categories like ideal transformer model, equations, loses, etc.  Throughout the whole book it's like this and I have decided the book is useless since I can't just pick a topic to look up and read on, which translate to the test as not being able to find an obscure tidbit when needed on a hard question.

If the US edition is better, is it possible to get a scan of that and hope the page numbers are the same?

Thanks

Neil

I read a lot of electrical engineering books. Wildi's is by far one of my favorites, and in my opinion, one of the best reference books you can take with you to the exam. The best way to get the most out of any reference book specifically for the PE exam, is to get familiar with it ahead of time. The order that material appears in each chapter is very intuitive and builds on each other. The best thing to do is skim every chapter that is a subject on the exam and note the headings, subheadings, formulas, and diagrams so that you'll have a general sense of the information laid out in each the chapter. When you come across pain points like areas you've struggled with, or particular points of interest as it applies to the PE exam, stop and tab the page and read a little more indepth. You could probably skim the entire book in about two hours and have a general sense of what's in it so that you know where to look. "This is a tough question but I remember a similar one in Wildi's book. This is a sync. generator question, let me start in the sync generator chapter and flip quickly until I find the heading that fits the problem."  

Edited by Zach Stone, P.E.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Zach said. I spent about 2-3 weeks pouring over the book. It illuminated many pain areas for me. Definitely make labeled tabs throughout the book. It was invaluable during the exam.

I seem to remember there being a thread here where someone spelled out the most relevant chapters to comb through, if you're crunched for time.

wildi.thumb.jpg.e0cf9c0a93e2bb96b2cd95811afcde22.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, TXPE2k17 said:

Like Zach said. I spent about 2-3 weeks pouring over the book. It illuminated many pain areas for me. Definitely make labeled tabs throughout the book. It was invaluable during the exam.

I seem to remember there being a thread here where someone spelled out the most relevant chapters to comb through, if you're crunched for time.

wildi.thumb.jpg.e0cf9c0a93e2bb96b2cd95811afcde22.jpg

Nice. I will do the same. All the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×