Top 5 Dumb and Disgusting Things People Do on a Flight

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
Since we all tend to travel quite a bit rather it be for pleasure or business, I found this to be an interesting article. I'm sure there are plenty of other annoyances too so feel free to add to this list. I can't say I ever encountered anyone eating a hard-boiled egg on a flight. LOL

Ref: https://ourtripguide.com/travel-guides/top-5-dumb-and-disgusting-things-people-do-on-a-flight/

#1 – Unwanted Physical Contact - "One of the worst behaviors on a plane is unwanted physical contact. Pushing, pulling, jiggling, kicking, or messing with another passenger’s seat… This is just inexcusable. I had lowered my seat and fallen asleep until awoke to the man behind me grabbing my arm and yelling angrily at me in a language I don’t understand. After a while, the flight attendant explained to me that he was asking me to put my seat back to its normal position. Well, the debate whether seat reclining is rude continues. But going as far as touching another passenger is absolutely and inarguably inappropriate." —Caroline

#2 – Malodorous Bare Feet - "Some people take their shoes and socks off and feel free to put their feet anywhere except on the floor. Have you ever thought that the airplane cabin is not your living room? We didn’t pay pricey tickets to see and smell your feet! And we definitely don’t want to see them at the same level as the food we’re trying to eat. I was on an 11-hour flight and as soon as I sat down I smelled something nasty. I looked down and discovered the surprisingly malodorous bare feet of the person sitting behind me. Asking somebody to contain their foul smell didn’t seem a nice way to start a flight, so I decided to activate the air nozzle above my seat and had to keep it on the entire flight. Why do some people like to make others suffer?" —Christine

#3 – The Vomit Nightmare - "This is probably the nastiest puke experience ever happened on a plane. The most disgusting and horrible behavior on a plane is actually something I experienced unwillingly. Well, somebody had puked into the seatback pocket on the previous flight! I’m not referring to the air sickness bag inside the pocket, I’m talking about the actual pocket. So I was the lucky one who’d find the gross surprise. If planes are supposed to be cleaned between flights, then the cleaning staff decided to leave it there as well. Oh, and this was a full-flight and no I wasn’t able to change the seat." —Josh

#4 – Dirty Diapers - "The worst things I’ve seen during flights all involve the kind of people who apparently don’t realize that smells can actually travel within an enclosed space. Like that woman who changed her baby’s smelly diaper on her own lap in the seat, right next to all passengers. And that other young woman who decided to freely apply perfume and then follow it up by painting her nails." —Patricia

#5 – Hardboiled Eggs - "Are you the type of person who loves attention so much you don’t mind whether it’s full of love or hatred? Bring some smelly food and you’ll become the most hated passenger on the plane. I was once stuck in the middle seat on a flight like if this wasn’t enough irritation for me, the woman sitting to my left pulled out a whole bag of hard-boiled eggs (that had obviously been sitting out for a while) to snack on. That horrible smell was certainly not something you want to deal with in a confined space." —Denise

Last edited by a moderator:
Touching the seatback in front of you when you get up!

Why not touch your own headrest of your seat or better yet, grab on the armrest to help you get out of your chair?

Sorry, but I'm a flying Madonna.

And yes, the vomit nightmare is my nightmare. Never heard of that happening but it very well could happen.

Touching the seatback in front of you when you get up!
Why not touch your own headrest of your seat or better yet, grab on the armrest to help you get out of your chair?
ugh the person behind me on my flight back from paris felt she needed to put one hand on my seatback, one on hers, and walk across the armrests to get out to use the restroom. she was loud obnoxious and drunk and i hated her :)  

I also think you should put your seat upright if it's during meal service. 

Otherwise, I usually can adjust to make my flight tolerable as well as letting the person near me be comfortable too with their entirety of the armrest....but if their elbow creeps into my seat too far they definitely get adjusted quickly. 

smelliness is so hard to get rid of once it's let loose on the plane 😮 tuna sandwiches eeeee 

I even bring socks to put on when I wear sandals on the plane because I hate having shoes on, but also do NOT want to touch my feet to where everyone else's feet have been 😮 

Old bitch behind me on the flight back from FL was playing Candy Crush or some ****, at full blast, with no earbuds in the entire time.  As we're waiting to get off the plane, she then having a wonderful conversation about incontinence with the other old lady across the aisle.  She then had the gall to try and line jump ahead of our row on the way out.  She got a Supe-sized body check back into place while I let our whole row out.

And take a f*cking shower, people.  The dude next to me and Mrs. Supe on our flight back from Seattle (huge surprise there) had the WORST B.O. you've ever smelled.  If you can afford a cross country flight, you can afford the soap and water for a f*cking shower.  It was so bad, we had to take turns smelling through a deodorant lid for the entire flight.

S6ZSJoi.gif

I was just on a cross-country flight and I had an aisle seat.  I put my arm on my arm rest and hit something.  The frickin a-hole behind took his shoes off and had his socked foot parked on my armrest.  WTF?!?!?

I was just on a cross-country flight and I had an aisle seat.  I put my arm on my arm rest and hit something.  The frickin a-hole behind took his shoes off and had his socked foot parked on my armrest.  WTF?!?!?
I'd be in cuffs if that happened to me.

that happened to me multiple times with the lady behind me on the flight i mentioned above. 

Flying back and forth to Dubai/Afghanistan so many times a few years ago, I had a subscription from United to bump me up to economy plus an all my flights.  Not 1st class, but some decent extra legroom and, since it was a paid upgrade, it usually wasn't as crowded.  One flight home I had my row of 3 seats to myself so I put my armrests up and put my feet up to get some sleep when some jackwagon comes up from coach, wakes me up and tells me to move over so he could sit there.  Not sure if he spoke enough English to know what f@#% off means, but if not, my pissy attitude was enough to send him back to his seat.

There was a lady eating grapes, a string cheese, and two hardboiled eggs on the train into work today (bike's still in the shop). I noticed the smell for sure, but it didn't really bother me too much. But there was better air circulation on the train vs on an airplane.

If I had the money I would fly 1st Class on every flight.. air travel has become like greyhound!

I just traveled JetBlue from East to West coast.  I passed these seats in first class that had a single seat in the middle of what would be 2 regular first class seats or 3 coach seats that had plexiglass shield and a door so it's like you're in your own little room.  I guess it's called "Mint".  Checking online the fare is 2x to 3x what a typical airfare would be.

Must be nice.

https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/mint/

I just traveled JetBlue from East to West coast.  I passed these seats in first class that had a single seat in the middle of what would be 2 regular first class seats or 3 coach seats that had plexiglass shield and a door so it's like you're in your own little room.  I guess it's called "Mint".  Checking online the fare is 2x to 3x what a typical airfare would be.

Must be nice.

https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/mint/
HFS! The fricking seats have massagers! 

Flying sucks when you're over 6'3". That is all. There is nothing fun or even remotely enjoyable about it. Whiskey helps, but it doesn't help enough.

Back