Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
Slay the P.E.

Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics for TFS Contest

Hi all,

Be among the first 5 to send us via private message here either a photo or a scanned PDF showing all your work to the correct solution to the problem below and we will send you a coupon code for 50% off our TFS practice problems books. The three books combine for 230+ problems in Thermodynamics & Energy Balances, Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics and Fluid Applications, and Psychrometrics and Mass Balances in 400+ pages of step-by-step solutions and detailed explanations.  Get free sample pages to preview the books HERE.

Please do not publicly post your solution here until we announce all valid entries have been received.

The water system on the top of the figure is modified by adding a pump, resulting in the system on the bottom. Adding the pump doubles the flow rate. In both cases, the pipe ID is 3.6 inches, the Darcy friction factor is 0.02, and the minor losses are negligible. Under these conditions, the power (hp) added by the pump is most nearly:

(A) 0.4

(B) 0.8

(C) 1.6

(D) 2.0
image.png.6d3c30c0b2c4d28d36639ec54d053dc7.png

Looks like its the same as when posting to the boards. I just started the process of sending you a DM and had the option at the bottom left to drag a file or browse for a file to attach 

image.png

Send it as an email attachment to customersupport@slaythepe.com

Sent...

PS...  I have crappy lead in my pencil and it's sloppy..

Edited by MikeGlass1969

I got the answer, but not joining..I just wonder if someone participated other than Mike ? @Slay the P.E. How many did actually sent PM's now for this?

This is so kind of you @Slay the P.E. the discount though, its just, you did not offer this last April! haha!

Mike submitted an entry. His was correct, but he’s not participating as he’s already a PE.

We have received one valid entry other than Mike’s.

Well, we’re promoting the ebooks, which is a growing but newer product (we have 3 now for TFS). 

Update: We have now received two valid entries.  There are still three left.

On 9/17/2018 at 5:04 PM, Slay the P.E. said:

Send it as an email attachment to customersupport@slaythepe.com

I submitted my answer to the contest to this address as well. I could not send an attachment with a private message.

• Like 1

We have received 3 valid entries. There are two left.

12 hours ago, cvanwy02 said:

Is this still open?

Well, why not?

Let's do this again y'all. This time the first three to submit the right answer ( via private message here or via email to customersupport@slaythepe.com ) will get the 50% off our ebook bundle which now includes a book on Heat Transfer and Heat Exchanger Analysis. The four books combine for 280+ problems in Thermodynamics & Energy Balances, Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics and Fluid Applications, Psychrometrics and Mass Balances, and Heat Transfer & Heat Exchanger Analysis in 550+ pages of step-by-step solutions and detailed explanations.  Get free sample pages to preview the books HERE.

Edited by Slay the P.E.

We have received all valid entries.

thanks!

• Thanks 1

Now that the contest has ended, will a solution be provided?  I would like to check my answer.  Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GordyJ said:

Now that the contest has ended, will a solution be provided?  I would like to check my answer.  Thanks!

This problem appears in our Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulics book. Here's the solution from the book.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 8.35.54 PM.png

Thanks for the prompt reply! Looking forward to purchasing your practice exam (solutions) once I feel adequately prepared to tackle it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GordyJ said:

Thanks for the prompt reply! Looking forward to purchasing your practice exam (solutions) once I feel adequately prepared to tackle it. 

Thanks!

buying our books is the best way to prepare to tackle it :)

wink, wink, nod, nod.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slay the P.E. said:

Thanks!

wink, wink, nod, nod.

I can attest to this!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, cvanwy02 said:

I can attest to this!

22 hours ago, Slay the P.E. said:

Thanks!

wink, wink, nod, nod.

I don't doubt that, very impressed with Slay's website and their activity on these forums. 

However, I have copious amounts of material from a previous prep course (took the exam in October - didn't pass).  This content, coupled with the copious amount of MERM reading I'm currently doing to better understand the concepts, might not afford me enough time and/or brain space to get through the E-books. 

If for some reason I have to take the exam in the fall (no, please no!!!!!) I would likely give the Coaching Plan a shot.  Thanks!

• Like 1