What is allowed in exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmsg

Reaction score
Hi guys, I  have one question from all of you, I know from looking at the past threads, I have now realized that we cannot scribble anything on notes in pencil,

But my question is that are we allowed to write on question paper with the pencil which is provided in the exam. If in case right at the beginning of exam, I just want to quickly mark all the questions of code or want to mark in the beginning that this question is single phase and/or this one is three phase. That way after quick scan of forty questions, I can come back and let's say do all the questions of code all together first etc..

i brought and will bring again, plenty of notes and paper with pencil on them.  

they  provide a pencil during the exam and you CANNOT write on anything but the test booklet during the exam.

of course you can write on the question paper during the exam, how else would you plan on solving the problems?

I've done some review on this, asked questions and even wrote to the exam board.  It seems anything that is bound (I'm using a few 3-ring binders is legal, be it reference materials and any notes (handwritten, computerized print outs, pen, pencil, color, black or white).  Any mention of pencil written notes not being allowed to BRING the exam is just rumors in my opinion.  

Yes, you can BRING any kind of bound notes with you, but you can only WRITE on the written exam booklet.  You may not write on any of the reference materials or notes you brought to the exam.  That's my interpretation of the rules.

I've done some review on this, asked questions and even wrote to the exam board.  It seems anything that is bound (I'm using a few 3-ring binders is legal, be it reference materials and any notes (handwritten, computerized print outs, pen, pencil, color, black or white).  Any mention of pencil written notes not being allowed to BRING the exam is just rumors in my opinion.  

Yes, you can BRING any kind of bound notes with you, but you can only WRITE on the written exam booklet.  You may not write on any of the reference materials or notes you brought to the exam.  That's my interpretation of the rules.
This is a pretty high stakes exam.  Sure, you be fine in most cases and no one questions it.  

But if the specter of irregularities is ever raised, do you want to be in that position of having to defend a choice you were flatly warned against in a fight against corporate entity who is know to kill first, never ask questions later?    :2cents:

I decided to not have pencil marks in my notes just in case the exam proctor accused me of writing in my notes. If my notes were in pencil, I would have no way to prove that I didn't write it during the exam. I didn't want to take the chance. 

This is a pretty high stakes exam.  Sure, you be fine in most cases and no one questions it.  

But if the specter of irregularities is ever raised, do you want to be in that position of having to defend a choice you were flatly warned against in a fight against corporate entity who is know to kill first, never ask questions later?    :2cents:
Understood, and the only notes I have in pencil are the practice exam problems I've worked out.  I re-print any class notes and anything I want to flag I write in red ink.  I did them on separate sheets so any time I work practice problems the workbooks have no notes on them, simulating the real exam.  I guess I could take all my notes in pencil and make copies of them so they're in ink, but with the exam less than a month and a half away I would have liked to have spent my time doing more productive things.  I guess it wouldn't take but a few minutes.

I also have a digital watch that gets its time via GPS (it's a golf watch) that I wear all the time since it has the day, date and month constantly on the face (comes in handy at work when I forget what day it is, which these days happens often lol).  I thought, this is a legal watch, it's not a smart watch (GPS not internet) but why take the chance.  I'll bring a mechanical one instead (pure windup) that way they can't question it.

Hi guys, I  have one question from all of you, I know from looking at the past threads, I have now realized that we cannot scribble anything on notes in pencil,

But my question is that are we allowed to write on question paper with the pencil which is provided in the exam. If in case right at the beginning of exam, I just want to quickly mark all the questions of code or want to mark in the beginning that this question is single phase and/or this one is three phase. That way after quick scan of forty questions, I can come back and let's say do all the questions of code all together first etc..
This is a question that pops up often. Your best resource to answer what is/is not allowed will always be the official examinee guide by NCEES. Otherwise, rumors and hearsay may confuse or mislead you. 

Here is an official link to the examine guide:

https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/ExamineeGuide_June-2018.pdf

rumors and hearsay may confuse or mislead you. 
Is it rumors and hearsay or individual interpretation and caution? 

Exam Procter: Excuse me, Mr. Matt267?

Matt267: Yes?

Exam Procter: I thought I saw you writing in your notes.

Matt267: Oh, no, sorry, I accidentally used my pencil to keep my place on a chart. I didn't write anything though. 

Exam Procter: I see pencil marks and parts of the chart circled. How do I know you're not trying to copy exam material into your notes? 

Matt267: Um, you don't. But trust me, I didn't just write in my notes.  

Exam Procter: I'm going to need to take this binder and send it to NCEES for them to investigate. Good luck on the rest of your exam. 

Matt267:  :suicide1:

Not a true story, but one I wanted to avoid. But hey, you all can do what you want. I already passed. 

Exam Procter: I'm going to need to take this binder and send it to NCEES for them to investigate. Good luck on the rest of your exam.
More than likely, they'd just take your test away from you then and there.

Though that being said, this whole penciled notes thing never occurred to me in the three times I took the P.E. exam, and I never had any issues. But I'd definitely rethink it in the future! cough*SE exam*cough

If there's any question, please call your state board to confirm.  My state board (Texas) told me that I could not bring notes marked in pencil. I mean, I'm sure hundreds of PE candidates have and will continue to bring in notes with pencil.  But it's not worth risking.  Just photocopy your notes and you're fine.

I would definitely recommend checking with ncees. I received the TBPE newsletter today stating that the Environmental exam starting after this coming cycle will be moved to CBT and will only allow the Environmental Reference book as a resource at that point. 

EDIT: The reference manual will be provided as a pdf on the computer so you wouldn't even bring that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a digital watch that gets its time via GPS (it's a golf watch) that I wear all the time since it has the day, date and month constantly on the face (comes in handy at work when I forget what day it is, which these days happens often lol).  I thought, this is a legal watch, it's not a smart watch (GPS not internet) but why take the chance.  I'll bring a mechanical one instead (pure windup) that way they can't question it.
Can I bring a magnifying glass in the exam. I sometime get hard time reading a very fine (small) print of text

Can I bring a magnifying glass in the exam. I sometime get hard time reading a very fine (small) print of text
Hi @rmsg,

My answer would be the same as the text that you quoted for the same reasons. While I've never personally been asked this before nor read anything specifically stating magnifying glasses I would consult official representation from either NCEES via email or from their documentation. I'd consider contacting them since I do not believe the examine guide mentions magnifying glasses. My best guess is that it would be okay, however, I do not represent nor am I affiliated with NCEES. 

Hi @rmsg,

My answer would be the same as the text that you quoted for the same reasons. While I've never personally been asked this before nor read anything specifically stating magnifying glasses I would consult official representation from either NCEES via email or from their documentation. I'd consider contacting them since I do not believe the examine guide mentions magnifying glasses. My best guess is that it would be okay, however, I do not represent nor am I affiliated with NCEES. 
Thanks Zach

Back