FE & PE licensing requirement for a Canadian person

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abcd001in

Reaction score
I currently have B.Eng and M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering from a Canadian university, which is CEAB accredited and not ABET. I have 5.5 years of combined education experience and 6 years of total engineering experience (5 years in Canada and 1 year in USA). I am planning to obtain PE licensure in NY. I wanted to know if I need to give FE exam or my education and experience would be eligible directly to sit for PE exam? Can my professional engineering work experience in Canada be considered towards education requirements for PE? I know some states do not consider foreign work and education. Which states would consider CEAB and Canadian experience?

I'm sure someone else will be able to better answer you in full but I'd expect you will have to take both the FE and PE, engineers to get their degrees in an ABET accredited school and have their experience in the US also have to take both the FE and PE exam in order to get their license (even if you have a Master's degree). I have a BS in Civil and a MENG in Civil, I took the FE at the end of my Junior year of undergrad, but some people don't take it until years after they graduate, but it is a requirement for a license.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an agreement between ABET and CEAB for mutual recognition. It appears that many states, but not all will accept the degree as meeting the requirements. You can read more at:

http://www.abet.org/global-presence/mutual-recognition-agreements/

NY has a nice breakout on their website of the educational and experience requirements under a variety of circumstances for the FE and PE:

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/pelic.htm#credits

I don't know if CEAB would be equivalent to ABET, or if they'd count it as a regional accreditation. The master's would probably make up the difference either way. I highly doubt you can skip the FE.

I'd recommend contacting the NY Board. Be warned that they are very slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP - Have you heard back from your application? I have a similar question: doe NYS PE board recognize the ABET-Canada Mutual Recognition Agreement (MRA)? Does your Canadian undergraduate degree get considered as "Abet-Accredited". Please let me know! 

Back