PE vs. AACE Certification - Civil Engineering PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
schedengr

PE vs. AACE Certification

After 2 failed attempts with taking the PE Civil Construction exam, I'm reconsidering taking the exam ever again and am more likely going to strive after an AACE certification. I feel that the amount of PMP's out there has saturated the market and I don't fully support the direction NCEES is taking with the PE exam. I hold a civil engineering degree but am more focused on project controls/scheduling and don't see the PE as a good fit in my career. Has anyone had any experiences taking an AACE certification for either Earned Value Professional, Planning & Scheduling Professional, or Certified Cost Professional? I like the structure of their exam where it is all not just multiple choice but part essay and real life scenario, something that needs to be strongly suggested to the NCEES board to make it more practical to real life engineering. I'd much rather spend $300 toward an exam that actually values real life scenarios & not theoretical concepts.

There's a lot of jobs out there other than consulting that will accept PMP over a PE certification. I will pursue the PMP if I do not pass the PE.

Edited by KOKOMO777

I have a Civil Engineering degree and have never heard of AACE certifications until now. I honestly haven't seen any job listings for Engineers require or prefer AACE certifications. It sounded like you aren't actually designing anything, that could be the reason why you are struggling with PE exam. I myself just passed PE but am also considering taking PMP exam next year. A lot of times, engineers also manage projects. If you aren't designing or managing, then why would you need either PE or PMP certification?

The catch is eventually you will need either PE or PMP to be able to move to a higher level. I prefer PE as you only need to do it once. PMPs need to retake the exam every 5 years.

This sounds like a lame excuse for not getting your ass in gear and studying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2019 at 1:16 AM, MspSdf said:

I have a Civil Engineering degree and have never heard of AACE certifications until now. I honestly haven't seen any job listings for Engineers require or prefer AACE certifications. It sounded like you aren't actually designing anything, that could be the reason why you are struggling with PE exam. I myself just passed PE but am also considering taking PMP exam next year. A lot of times, engineers also manage projects. If you aren't designing or managing, then why would you need either PE or PMP certification?

The catch is eventually you will need either PE or PMP to be able to move to a higher level. I prefer PE as you only need to do it once. PMPs need to retake the exam every 5 years.

PMPs are not required to retake the exam every five years. One must obtain 60 PDUs every three years. That’s it. I’ve had a PMP since 2015 and the only exam I’m studying for is the PE exam. 

Edited by civilrobot

You are not allow to quit until you fail the exam three times. You have no place to complain. Keep trying. Even if you do not agree with NCEES' approach, you should be careful how you voice your concerns on a public forum. Hopefully nobody screenshot your post, because you are straight dogging NCEES on their methodology.

NCEES Results.PNG

Edited by Fisherman504

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, schedengr said:

After 2 failed attempts with taking the PE Civil Construction exam, I'm reconsidering taking the exam ever again and am more likely going to strive after an AACE certification. I feel that the amount of PMP's out there has saturated the market and I don't fully support the direction NCEES is taking with the PE exam. I hold a civil engineering degree but am more focused on project controls/scheduling and don't see the PE as a good fit in my career. Has anyone had any experiences taking an AACE certification for either Earned Value Professional, Planning & Scheduling Professional, or Certified Cost Professional? I like the structure of their exam where it is all not just multiple choice but part essay and real life scenario, something that needs to be strongly suggested to the NCEES board to make it more practical to real life engineering. I'd much rather spend $300 toward an exam that actually values real life scenarios & not theoretical concepts.

Perhaps you should consider the PSP. If you are more focused on project controls and scheduling then that is a more appropriate certification than PMP. I agree with @Fisherman504 that you shouldn't just give up. Try again. What's the harm? A hurt ego? You don't have to tell anyone that you're sitting for it again. If you haven't done so already, consider a review course. I'm taking EET right now and it's helping me. I don't know if I will pass but I'm going to try. I'm prepared to regroup and take it again if that's what it takes. This is a marathon and not a sprint for some of us.