References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEforWin

Reaction score
Since the test is going to be a CBT next year and that its already 80 questions only this year (both April and October) can the previous test takers shed some light on references needed. Did any of you feel like you could have done it with just the NCEES reference manual? Also was the difficulty level similar to the NCEES practice problems? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @kmill23. I noticed you said that the questions we easier than the practice exams. I am banking on that. I know the material, but I get tripped up on the practice exam questions, as I think they are pretty difficult and very tricky.

kmill23 said:
I wrote a summary after the April 2018 exam in the 'Consolidated Advice Thread.'  Check it out:
Thank you @kmill23. That post is helpful. One last question though, is the eerm you used 3rd edition or 2nd or doas 8t not matter. I only have the 2nd edition. Thank you

kmill23 said:
That was certainly my experience.  I found that the practice problems were really good, but for example, they might have like five steps to get a solution, while the exam questions might have required three (but might have a twist/trick that the practice problems didn't!).  It's like a fun treasure hunt!  LOL
kmill so presumably you passed in April 2018?  I haven't seen you post anything about studying for the upcoming exam in October...

I found your post in the consolidated advice thread really interesting, in the sense that it is really the only relevant post I can find that essentially dismisses the need for the 'powerhouse' references, namely Cooper & Alley for air and LaGrega for waste (Metcalf and Eddy for wastewater seems to be the other powerhouse although it looks like you didn't use that one).  I have ordered Cooper & Alley but as of now I don't plan on bringing any of the others - I just don't think I'll have the time to familiarize myself with any of them in time for them to be useful on the exam.  The people posting on this forum represent a relatively small fraction of total test-takers, I wonder what the actual breakdown is for people bringing all those books.  Based on your experience, how essential was Davis/Cornwell Intro to Env. Eng?

kmill23 said:
Your presumption is correct. I passed in April. 

I bought the ‘powerhouses’ and never found a use for them. Lagrega was completely useless. The sampling one was less than useless. And I never used Cooper/Alley during the exam. 

I dont know why my experience was so different than the rest of the posters. Maybe it was my background, the particular exam I took, or a combination of the two? 

Good luck in the exam.  Relax, take your time, focus on what the questions are asking, find the tricks, and most importantly: get the easy ones correct!!

I used Davis/Cromwell quite a bit in conjunction with EERM. I found some of the approaches in the solutions in Davis/Cromwell to be easier for me to follow. I also found some of the equations solving for the same thing were presented in a better format in Davis/Cornwell vs. EERM (e.g, easier unit conversions, etc.). When I found those I made a note in each book on the corresponding equation telling me which version was easier for me to work. 
Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on passing.

kmill23 said:
Your presumption is correct. I passed in April. 

I bought the ‘powerhouses’ and never found a use for them. Lagrega was completely useless. The sampling one was less than useless. And I never used Cooper/Alley during the exam. 

I dont know why my experience was so different than the rest of the posters. Maybe it was my background, the particular exam I took, or a combination of the two? 

Good luck in the exam.  Relax, take your time, focus on what the questions are asking, find the tricks, and most importantly: get the easy ones correct!!

I used Davis/Cromwell quite a bit in conjunction with EERM. I found some of the approaches in the solutions in Davis/Cromwell to be easier for me to follow. I also found some of the equations solving for the same thing were presented in a better format in Davis/Cornwell vs. EERM (e.g, easier unit conversions, etc.). When I found those I made a note in each book on the corresponding equation telling me which version was easier for me to work. 
Agree that EERM isn't always so great with their equations... Kind of a bummer. 

anyone know where we can get a free copy of the EERM index?? I'm only seeing a copy I can buy on PPI for $15 which is annoying. 

RCRA Subtitle C and D are long as hell and I can't find a continuous copy of each subtitle. Don't think I'm going to print that out for the exam.

also my PPI professor recommended TR-55 for stormwater but that's also long as hell and I think I could get bogged down with it. 

Wow, I am now wondering if I should bring those  (non-text book) resources like guidance documents, and ASTM standards (Phase 1) etc. There comes a point where I need be confident with what I have, but I feel like once I hear about a book or resource, I feel like I need to have it. 

Honestly, I don't think it makes sense. If there was no time limit I would say yes, definitely bring everything... but obviously that isn't the case here.

Yeah, I don't either.  Each question is worth the same amount of points.  While it's very frustrating to get those random gotcha questions, realistically you won't have a ton of time to be combing through anything.  I'll spend a little time trying to find some guidance, but then end up bubbling in whatever I think makes the most sense. GRANTED this is one of the reasons why I'm taking the test for the third time :p But for some of these, I really think you just either know or you don't.

Without giving too many exam specifics away, there was one remediation question I remember from the April 2017 exam cycle that was a total gimme for me, because it's something I use a lot.  But if you weren't in remediation, you probably would have needed a very specific reference to tell you that answer. I don't think most people had that.  

Okay last minute advice thread: name your favorite single resource for the enviro PE  OTHER THAN EERM or class slides and why  — open to past exam takers or those just prepping for the first time 

mine - air pollution by cooper and alley. It’s physically small and easy to manage and the examples are perfect.

someone please sell me on intro to enviro engineering by Davis/Cornwell.. I have barely touched it and am experiencing FOMO.

I seem to remember reading that people have recommended the Env. Eng. FE reference handbook as a good resource.  I had this laying around but can't seem to find where I put it.  I can print out another copy, anyone have some insight on its' usefulness?

I seem to remember reading that people have recommended the Env. Eng. FE reference handbook as a good resource.  I had this laying around but can't seem to find where I put it.  I can print out another copy, anyone have some insight on its' usefulness?
I have it and I love it! I have a printed PE handbook too just in case but it’s poorly organized and doesn’t have an index so I don’t think I’m really going to end up using it.

also FWIW I’ve heard (from my PPI professor) there are a lot of errors in the PE handbook and that it needs serious revision.

Back