15 FE Exam Waiver - Links & Saved Threads - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
EHP

15 FE Exam Waiver

Has anyone ever used the 15 year experience FE Waiver for taking the PE Exam?  I currently have 13.5 years experience and am wondering if it's worthwhile to wait until I have 15 years work experience as a waiver for the FE exam and use this time to just study extra for the NJ state PE Exam.  

I'd say if you were already at 15 years that may be an option. With a year and half before eligibility I would just go ahead and take the FE. It will give you a good way to brush up on the basics and get you accustomed to studying again. Plus it would eliminate the need to provide back up data or whatever they require to prove that experience.  They can be pretty strict on SERs which I assume this would be similar to.

• Like 1

That's a great point!  Providing the experience for the past 15 years is quite a task.

Although saving the time and money on fees/books/study courses in order to pass the FE sounds attractive.

It may also matter in the future if your try to get a license in a different state, via a license in NJ. The requirements for taking the PE vary by state, and are often proscribed by legislation. Not every state has a waiver for FE, so it can be difficult to get a license via comity or reciprocity later without retaking one or more tests.

For instance Pennsylvania has a hard requirement in law that a PE applicant have passed the FE exam. P.L. 913, No. 367 Cl. 63  4.2(a) and (c)(1). The latter even requires four years of experience after obtaining the EIT. I don't think 4.2(a) can be waived, and I know (c)(1) can't be waived because so many people have complained about it.

I have no idea about NYS' requirements.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, EHP said:

Has anyone ever used the 15 year experience FE Waiver for taking the PE Exam?  I currently have 13.5 years experience and am wondering if it's worthwhile to wait until I have 15 years work experience as a waiver for the FE exam and use this time to just study extra for the NJ state PE Exam.  

I tried doing that in New York, since they have the same clause in the law, however it turned out to be a waste of time - costing me about a year in earning my license.  I eventually just focused on the FE exam topics using the PPI study guide and I passed it in the first attempt.

NJ offers an FE Waiver?

Are you sure about that? NJ is one of the biggest pains in the ass to get licensed in.