Recommendations!!!! Civil PE, Structural Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFM_SE

Reaction score
I've been searching these engineering forums trying to find someone who has shared their experience preparing for the Structural PE April 2018 and have been unsuccessful ... 

I would really appreciate If anyone could share their experience and would also be willing to provide ANY advice as to:

1) What PE prep course to take? One that has a good breadth review as well as a structural depth review.

2) What study materials did you think were good to use while preparing for the exam?

3) What books did you take to the exam and use while taking the exam? 

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
I took it and did not pass the first time.  

First time did not do a prep course, used an older CERM (much, much older), self studied, but not quite enough, or quite the right things.

Second time I did the ASCE on demand course (it was free through hubs employer - if I didn't pass that time was going to pony up the bucks for EET) I found that the notes provided in the course were pretty spot on for the exam I took it in - there were a couple topic where the lecture covered most of the PE problem, but then there was a next step I had to figure out.

I bought the newest CERM - important for Structural for codes and whatnot. 

Did some older 6 minute solutions, which was helpful to make me figure out the code changes.  Those I got on Scribd. 

I had several practice exams I picked up in various places. 

I also participated in Dr Mansour's office hours lectures. 

I mainly used my ASCE Binders and the CERM during the exam, and added my codes for the afternoon.  I did end up looking some things up in books I didn't study much out of but threw in just in case - kind of oddball types of things.

In general, I did a LOT more problems, and tightened up my morning knowledge. I didn't have much "civil" coursework in my General Engineering degree, so it helped a lot.

I've been searching these engineering forums trying to find someone who has shared their experience preparing for the Structural PE April 2018 and have been unsuccessful ... 
I did a write-up that's only 7 threads below yours in this forum...

I documented the books and strategy I used while studying by myself. Didn't take any prep classes.

I would really appreciate If anyone could share their experience and would also be willing to provide ANY advice as to:

1) What PE prep course to take? One that has a good breadth review as well as a structural depth review.

2) What study materials did you think were good to use while preparing for the exam?

3) What books did you take to the exam and use while taking the exam? 

ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!! 
Love your enthusiasm! There's tons of posts on the forum with people's experiences and recommendations. Check in the results threads and in the focus specific forums like here. Good luck with your studying! When are you sitting? 

I did a write-up that's only 7 threads below yours in this forum...

I documented the books and strategy I used while studying by myself. Didn't take any prep classes.
I read this and it was very helpful, thank you! However, I'm the type of person who definitely needs to take a prep class as well. I know the four big ones: school of PE, EET, ASCE, and PPI ... I've heard so many mixed reviews and I'd love some insight/recommendations from someone who has taken one of the classes recently and passed the exam. My employer is paying for the class so money isn't an issue when it comes to picking a class.

I've also heard that this past structural PE exam (April 2018) was by far the hardest--there was a lot of material that was not anticipated on the exam and would love to hear someones experience on how they prepared for this past exam or alternatively what they would do different next time around. 

Love your enthusiasm! There's tons of posts on the forum with people's experiences and recommendations. Check in the results threads and in the focus specific forums like here. Good luck with your studying! When are you sitting? 
Thank you!! I'm planning on taking the exam April 2019 ... I know it's a little far in advance but I feel like I would really benefit from the extra study time. A little background: I majored in biology in undergrad and after graduating I remediated some classes and earned my masters in structural engineering. Although I completed the majority of fundamental structural courses, in order to feel confident enough to take the PE exam I need to dedicate more time studying than maybe a conventional structural engineer would. 

I took it and did not pass the first time.  

First time did not do a prep course, used an older CERM (much, much older), self studied, but not quite enough, or quite the right things.

Second time I did the ASCE on demand course (it was free through hubs employer - if I didn't pass that time was going to pony up the bucks for EET) I found that the notes provided in the course were pretty spot on for the exam I took it in - there were a couple topic where the lecture covered most of the PE problem, but then there was a next step I had to figure out.

I bought the newest CERM - important for Structural for codes and whatnot. 

Did some older 6 minute solutions, which was helpful to make me figure out the code changes.  Those I got on Scribd. 

I had several practice exams I picked up in various places. 

I also participated in Dr Mansour's office hours lectures. 

I mainly used my ASCE Binders and the CERM during the exam, and added my codes for the afternoon.  I did end up looking some things up in books I didn't study much out of but threw in just in case - kind of oddball types of things.

In general, I did a LOT more problems, and tightened up my morning knowledge. I didn't have much "civil" coursework in my General Engineering degree, so it helped a lot.
Thank you for sharing! Did you take/pass the exam April 2018? 

Thank you!! I'm planning on taking the exam April 2019 ... I know it's a little far in advance but I feel like I would really benefit from the extra study time. A little background: I majored in biology in undergrad and after graduating I remediated some classes and earned my masters in structural engineering. Although I completed the majority of fundamental structural courses, in order to feel confident enough to take the PE exam I need to dedicate more time studying than maybe a conventional structural engineer would. 
you can totally do it! and if extra studying makes you feel more confident and calm during the exam, all the better. Most of it is mental anyway. I'm starting to get prepared to start studying 1st of December for April 2019 day 1 of SE exam, so I feel your pain!

Back