Starting a Steel Fabrication Shop....any tips?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
So after doing some projects with structural steel I have decided to get into it a little more and go forward with an official steel shop. So far I have done open canopies and retail buildings up to 10000 sq. ft. I figure a 30' x 30'  will be a good start. I am planning on doing the structure  to include 10 ton electric trolly, Plasma (1 inch cutting depth), Welding Equipment we already have, and I plan to put together a Plasma CNC machine (5' x 20'). I don't plan to do a concrete floor for the shop, Im leaning towards asphalt. Obviously structure will be on concrete footings. I don't plan to work on big projects yet. Typical connections are gusset plate bracing, shear tab, clip angle, seated , splices and base plate fabrication.  My starting budget is $25K and I realize for erection I will still have to rent equipment. I currently have autodesk subscription for shop drawings and hopefully I get my PE license this year and things might get a boost. Anyways, any recommendations would be nice. 

Thanks, 

Back