Opinion on Convertible or Detachable 2 in 1 Laptablets

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User1

Reaction score
I work in Structural Building Engineering. 

I currently use an iPad Pro for most of my non-computer analysis work. Marking up production drawings, hand calculations, sketching details, etc. It works fantastically. 

The reason it is an apple product is because my old employer had done a paperless movement and subsidized our purchase of an iPad device of sorts. (I chose to upgrade and DO NOT regret it)

Fast forward to my current company. There is interest in the efficiencies and portability I find in my work by using my iPad at meetings, during transit, and at my desk. We have started discussing the option of supporting some sort of mobile-enabling device, and I am curious what people have used and what their honest pros/cons are with it. I think, ideally the device would be able to function as a work-from-home station, running software either remotely or on the system itself, so powerful but lightweight and mobile are preferred. Maybe someday it ends up replacing our desktop towers, but I am curious if people have used any of this type of device for work and how they loved/hated it. 

I found this site that reviews the top ones https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/346226/the-best-2-in-1-convertible-and-hybrid-laptops

Have you considered doing this for work? Or do you already? let me know your thoughts! Much appreciated :)

@tj_PE I have a personal ipad pro that I pretty much just use for email, games and websurfing.  My experience is primarily with PC/Microsof Office.  Do you have any good references on what software/apps are most compatible with MS so I can maybe leave my laptop behind and use the ipad for that stuff.

@tj_PE I have a personal ipad pro that I pretty much just use for email, games and websurfing.  My experience is primarily with PC/Microsof Office.  Do you have any good references on what software/apps are most compatible with MS so I can maybe leave my laptop behind and use the ipad for that stuff.
What are you wanting to do with your pro? I use goodnotes a TON for my calcs, markups, sketches almost exclusively. it exports to PDF and I have uploaded my company's calc pad and titleblocks in there so I can put anything on our letterhead, and the pdfs are so clear and readable that everyone is jealous :)  don't check my math lol

image.png

nice!  trouble is I don't write as neat as you do?  I assume you use a stylus of some sort.

nice!  trouble is I don't write as neat as you do?  I assume you use a stylus of some sort.
yeah, I use the apple pencil. the lines are straight because it has a kind of snap to shape option. if you're writing anyway, the pro makes it crisper to see, especially compared to scanned pencil. but you can also type text boxes if you wanted to. 

A lot of committee members I see every 6 months have gone to MS Surface Pros as their sole machine.  Every one I've talked to about them is in love with the thing.

A lot of committee members I see every 6 months have gone to MS Surface Pros as their sole machine.  Every one I've talked to about them is in love with the thing.
apparently they tried surface pros for the assoc. principals a while back and there were technical issues with one, so this would be a hard sell for us. 

the lenovo yogas are interesting and similar, though.

I really like the 2-in-1 designs. Lady Fox has one (Samsung Spin 7) and loves it. 

apparently they tried surface pros for the assoc. principals a while back and there were technical issues with one, so this would be a hard sell for us. 
LOL, and what were the corresponding ages of these so-called "principals"? :thumbs:

The newest Surface Pro is a beast in terms of performance. But they certainly aren't cheap!

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you wanting to do with your pro? I use goodnotes a TON for my calcs, markups, sketches almost exclusively. it exports to PDF and I have uploaded my company's calc pad and titleblocks in there so I can put anything on our letterhead, and the pdfs are so clear and readable that everyone is jealous :)  don't check my math lol

View attachment 11851
Nicely done, so neat! You'll make a great S.E.! 

Back