• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Engineer field

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountaineer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, 

I'm 28 years old and trying to get into the Engineering field. I was recently working as a meter serviceman for power company. Without going into much detail I was wrongfully terminated and while I am pretty down and out about it I'm not ready to give up a job that I loved and enjoyed so I've decided to go back and get my degree. Unfortunately due to a conflictive work schedule I am going to have to do all of my schooling online, but I am determined to get it done one way or another. 

Does anyone have any advice on getting an electrical engineering degree online? I would prefer to start out with the two year degree and work while I continue to a four year degree but I'm really interested in getting it done either way. I've been looking on Penn Foster and Excelsior College but I'm not really sure what to do as I don't want to invest so much time and money into getting an online degree and then when I go to apply for jobs they tell me that my degree isn't recognized through their company. 

Thank you for any feedback. 

Hello everyone, 

I'm 28 years old and trying to get into the Engineering field. I was recently working as a meter serviceman for power company. Without going into much detail I was wrongfully terminated and while I am pretty down and out about it I'm not ready to give up a job that I loved and enjoyed so I've decided to go back and get my degree. Unfortunately due to a conflictive work schedule I am going to have to do all of my schooling online, but I am determined to get it done one way or another. 

Does anyone have any advice on getting an electrical engineering degree online? I would prefer to start out with the two year degree and work while I continue to a four year degree but I'm really interested in getting it done either way. I've been looking on Penn Foster and Excelsior College but I'm not really sure what to do as I don't want to invest so much time and money into getting an online degree and then when I go to apply for jobs they tell me that my degree isn't recognized through their company. 

Thank you for any feedback. 
If you plan on pursuing PE, make sure it is an ABET accredited program.

Well technically you can still become a PE without an ABET accredited degree, it just requires additional work time

Technically you can, but that is usually for people who don't know about accreditation and the importance of accreditation in terms of PE exam. When looking to a new degree, why suffer through futyre credit evaluation when you can avoid it and enroll in ABET accreddited program. 

Penn Foster and Excelsior College? 

Please do more research on the above schools. I checked their curriculum and ?????????????????????????????

Back