Continuing Education Credits for new licensees - when do you need them?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utilityeng

Reaction score
The Florida Board of Professional Engineers website states the following:

*** ATTENTION NEW LICENSEES AFTER APRIL 2017 ***

If you obtained your PE license by examination in Florida AFTER the April 2017 exam cycle, you are only required to pay the fee to renew your license. You do not need to complete the 18 hours of continuing education for this renewal cycle. However, effective with the 2019-2021 biennium, you will be responsible for completing your continuing education hours and paying the renewal fee to successfully renew your license.

If you have any questions about renewing your license, please call us at (850) 521-0500 and select “Renewal” to speak to a representative, or email [email protected].

I received my license in December 2017. When I read the statement above I take it to mean that I do NOT need CEs when my license renews in February 2019, but I will need them when I renew in 2021 (and every renewal period after that).

When I inquired through the board if my comprehension of the topic was correct, I received the following response:

"Hello David,

You will be required to complete continuing education for this renewal."

I replied to this individual by pasting the website copy and asking her if I was misinterpreting what it appears (at least to me) to say.

Here was the response I received to that.

"Hello David,

You took your exam in Oct. and your license you license was set for 2019. You were license during the renewal period."

What the what????

I don't even understand what that means. Am I just a knucklehead who can't grasp what the website is trying to tell me?

Back