Transformer Question 2

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a4u2fear

Reaction score
Ugh feel annoyed I can't solve this.... help!

This feels like a good question for the exam

Untitled.png

Ugh feel annoyed I can't solve this.... help!

This feels like a good question for the exam

View attachment 11824
Hints

1. Total voltage across both paths is same.

2. Voltage across transformers comes from transformation ratio give. 

3. Current in one path in given, the current in other path will be such that (1) above is satisfied.

Please follow the steps (in circles) in the given diagram to reach the answer. Step 4 is interesting. I would like you guys understand the stuff. If you do not follow how I got a particular answer in a particular step, just let me know. I will explain that step. 

Capture8.JPG

rg1,  

I understand what you did, and this is probably a misunderstanding on my part, but the original problem indicated the polarity was on top for both coils.  If the current is flowing down in the left path across the 2 k-ohm resistor, would it not also have to be flowing the same direction (downward) through the 4 k-ohm resistor in order to keep the currents correct?   

Never mind... I'm not sure where my head was on that! 
The dot notation for transformer is- If in one dot the current goes in the coil, in the other dot the current will come out of the coil. The voltage sign on dots will be same as positive. So in left coil, the current goes in and in the right coil current comes out. The left coil consumes power and the right coil delivers power!!!!

Thanks rg1.  appreciate the help
It is my pleasure. If any one is having any doubt or if you are not getting some question, you can PM me, Whenever I visit the forum, I will try to answer your queries. 

Back