California License Approval Process and Timing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I passed April 2018 PE exam. I have all qualifications and submitted all required documents. My submitted check was cashed early/mid June. Does anyone know how long does it take to get approved? Should I expect to get an email when it’s approved? I’d appreciate any inputs.

I submitted my application the day after results came out (hand delivered application Friday May 25 if believe) my check was cashed that day. Checking their website I found out I was approved about 2 weeks ago and then i just received my email approval about a week ago and just received my pocket ID card this monday.

After passing the April 2018 Mechanical Exam, I got my approval on June 6 via email.  Although, I had previously submitted my application and references, roughly around April 2017 and approved a few months later...so passing the exam was the only item remaining.  If you just recently submitted your application and references, you should give the Board about 4 months to review.  You can always (politely) request an update via email, and identify yourself thoroughly (Full name, Address on file, NCEES ID, etc.).

Good luck.

Hi, just wanted to see if you ever heard back from the board. I also sent in around first half of June. But have not heard back. Check has been cashed already. 

To clarify a little, you will get an email from the Board (BPELSG) when your application is received and processed; the email subject lines are as follows:

1. Received - "Status Update - Application Processed"
  2. Approved - "BPELSG - Application Status - Approved for Licensure"
For my situation specifically, my application was mailed on November 3, 2016.  First Board email of receipt of my application occurred on January 27, 2017, and approval notification (technical review) was on May 16, 2017.  I contacted the Board once, exactly one week after I submitted my Notice of Successful Examination via email.  I wanted to make sure that the Board received it since I did not get a confirmation, and I didn't want to miss the "monthly" Board review cutoff date.  I received my final notice from the Board the next day, indicating that all requirements are met and that I am now licensed.

I hope this 'timeline' helps some of you with the process and prevents any feelings of anxiety for those that are prone to it - believe me, I can relate/empathize!  Please be patient as they are busy people - good luck to everyone!

Did you apply after the process changed for applying for licensure. It seems you applied in November 2016 so does that mean you passed the exam in Oct 2016 which doesn't make sense since the process seems to have changed right after that time or where you allowed to take the exam at that time without having to apply first? 

Did you apply after the process changed for applying for licensure. It seems you applied in November 2016 so does that mean you passed the exam in Oct 2016 which doesn't make sense since the process seems to have changed right after that time or where you allowed to take the exam at that time without having to apply first? 
Passed the exam in April 2018.

I sent my application just before the Board made the changes to the application process, where you needed 'approval' to sit in for the PE exam.  If memory serves, this change to the application process took effect December 2016...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Passed the exam in April 2018.

I sent my application just before the Board made the changes to the application process, where you needed 'approval' to sit in for the PE exam.  If memory serves, this change to the application process took effect December 2016...someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello everyone,

Does one know in general how long it takes to get the licensure from the time the check is cashed by the California board? I read various answers. Thanks all.

Anyone have an update on this? Check just got cashed today. Can anyone see in their email how the timeline happened? Also, where can you check on their website if you've been approved?

Anyone have an update on this? Check just got cashed today. Can anyone see in their email how the timeline happened? Also, where can you check on their website if you've been approved?
About halfway down at this page https://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/about_us/contact.shtml you'll find contact information for the Licensing Evaluators listed by first letter of your last name.  You should start here.

Back