Pondering grad school, evaluating required prep for GRE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GamecockEngineer

Professional Engineer
Reaction score
So I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering about 7 years ago and have a PE license.  I'm interested in pursuing a masters in aerospace engineering a state public college and sounds like I have to take the GRE as part of my application. 

Is the GRE something worth spending more than a couple weeks of studying for? 

I dont really care about scholarship money or an research position.  My company is going to cover the cost as long as I make Bs or better and Im going to take classes part time while I work full time.  I just want to do well enough to get into school.

I don't think you need to spend more than a couple of weeks studying for the GRE. It's been many years since I took it and I know the format has changed a couple of times, but I do remember getting some benefit from practicing some of the problem types, refreshing my basic math skills, and doing some vocabulary work. But depending on the school, your GRE scores might not matter all that much.

I don't even think the GRE is worth spending more than a couple hours preparing for. As an engineer the "math" section should be a breeze, you should expect to get nearly everything correct. The "english" section might need a quick review if only to see what the questions look like.

Most engineering grad school don't care about the GRE very much. They just want you to meet some minimum threshold to satisfy the university wide requirements, something like 1200 or 1250.

I was out of school for two years before I took the GRE.  I remember going to Barnes and Noble with my girlfriend (now wife) and read the GRE for Dummies book for two hours.  The next day I took the test and passed.  YMMV

I don't think it's a pass/fail kind of thing. Depending on your ambitions, a high score can make a difference with the school of your choice. I was rejected by my high-end choice at the time (I deferred grad school then went again later to a school that didn't require the GRE)

I also disagree that you won't need to practice the math just because you're an engineer. How many of us do long division without a calculator?  I admit it's been a while since i took it, but calculators weren't allowed. Plus, how many of us really do any form of "math" aside from spreadsheets and plug and chug?  Practice will help on the exam.

I don't know if they still have it, but when I took it the "analytical" section was puzzle-like problems that definitely responded well to practice, just to get used to the format and style of puzzles, which weren't like anything I see on a day to day basis as an engineer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember what my score was but I was always someone who sucked at standardized tests (except for my 78/80 on the PE) but I thought it was pretty straightforward and just recall I got a "good score" - but then I was sitting in a cubicle doing jr engineer BS all day and was like FML and got an MBA - now I sit in an office but am still all FML.... :D

So I wouldn't stress that much about it - unless you are trying to get into some school that thinks they are exclusive..

Last edited by a moderator:
Na not going to head to an exclusive school.  Just the local state university.  I didnt take school super seriously so my GPA was pretty bad which I regret.  Thanks for the replies.

If it was closer to where I live, I'd probably look at trying to go there for grad school.  I'd still be a Carolina fan but school is school.

Back