Buying the codes/ standards

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawan

Reaction score
Hi everyone , 

As I decided to go for the structural depth for the PE, I was looking last night about the list of the codes that I might need for the PE Exam, and I was looking for places to buy these codes from . I was wondering if anyone of you have any recommendations ? 

Thanks in advance 

Rawan

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought all my references on Amazon.  The only one I did not buy was the AASHTO bridge design manual because it's such a large reference that I didn't want to put the time into reviewing it for the chance of getting one or two questions right.  

Thank you both for your guidance! 

I just need to ask you a quick question: I am not too familiar with the codes they listed for structural depth, but I am planning to spend big time on these references. Will I be ok ?  @MikeGlass1969 @JoshG2112

Before purchasing the codes, check to see if these are current or outdated for the state that you are getting your license in. If out dated, see if you have friends or coworkers you can borrow from. If current,  it would be worth the money since your work as a PE will bneed to be based on these codes.

Remember,  it is important to bring to the test the version of reference listed in the test specifications.  It is possible that using a different version could produce a wrong answer if the code changed, or if formulas/coefficients have been revised. The same goes for using a state specific version of a code vs. an international version ( such as IRC/IBC) where state specific can have different requirements.

Rawan,

I am Mechanical.  I took a 3" binder full of codes to the exam and did not even use it.  I am sure Structural is different though.

@youngmotivatedengineer Thanks for the response , I will follow the list the NCEES shows on the website to be on the safe side ( exact editions ).

but I was wondering if I would be ok on the structural depth (PM exam ) since I used these references before at my job SLIGHTLY and not all of them.

i am planning to spend a good time reviewing these code before the game exam and label them, but I am afraid that won’t be enough. Please advice 

thanks in advance 

Make sure you start labeling based on the test specifications so that you use your time wisely.  You may find some of the code references only used on 1 or 2 questions. You don't want to waste time labeling sections of the code that most likely won't be covered on the exam. During the exam, the question could even be a basic lookup question asking about a specific rule

I took the exam in April 2018 and did not pass. I used the 15th edition of the CERM and I see that the 16th edition of the CERM has just be released. I would prefer not to buy the new CERM because of the cost and I already have the 15th edition tabbed up. Do you think it would be sufficient to use the 15th edition again for the October 18 exam?

@USC_engineer I wish I can help but I don’t know the exact differences between both , you may need to contact PPI website , maybe they can provide you with the changes that have been made to the new edition 

I took the exam in April 2018 and did not pass. I used the 15th edition of the CERM and I see that the 16th edition of the CERM has just be released. I would prefer not to buy the new CERM because of the cost and I already have the 15th edition tabbed up. Do you think it would be sufficient to use the 15th edition again for the October 18 exam?
15th should be sufficient with some modification /additional notes made by you. On the PPI website,they mentioned what code references were updated in the new book. You should look at those codes and see what the changes were to the newer version and make sure your discipline is even using the updated code references  ( I'm not sure if NCEES uses the same codes across the board or different versions based on your depth i.e. structural using the most current while other depths possibly still using previous version).

The thing you have to remember is that PPI, the author, and publisher are in the business to make money. So while there may be some minor changes in the book, the majority of the book probably stayed the same or may just be rearranged slightly. If book stays the same, test takers will sell their books and PPI and everyone else loses out. If there is constantly a new version, all the profits stay with PPI,author,publisher since there wouldn't be used copies available for purchase.  This is the same strategy used for the rest of college textbooks. Do you really think there has been major improvements made to calculus that warrants colleges to use the new edition every single year?

15th should be sufficient with some modification /additional notes made by you. On the PPI website,they mentioned what code references were updated in the new book. You should look at those codes and see what the changes were to the newer version and make sure your discipline is even using the updated code references  ( I'm not sure if NCEES uses the same codes across the board or different versions based on your depth i.e. structural using the most current while other depths possibly still using previous version).

The thing you have to remember is that PPI, the author, and publisher are in the business to make money. So while there may be some minor changes in the book, the majority of the book probably stayed the same or may just be rearranged slightly. If book stays the same, test takers will sell their books and PPI and everyone else loses out. If there is constantly a new version, all the profits stay with PPI,author,publisher since there wouldn't be used copies available for purchase.  This is the same strategy used for the rest of college textbooks. Do you really think there has been major improvements made to calculus that warrants colleges to use the new edition every single year?
This is spot on, my coworker has the 14th ed. and I have the 15th ed. we went to the same page numbers and had the exact same thing, even the same numbers in example problems. 

Back