Salary & Home Affordability by State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
Some interesting stats. We put 12% (30-yr) down initially on our home in WI.

1529640891972585759971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the "average home" is comparable for each state (sq ft, brs, ba, lot size, etc.)

I don't even live in the expensive part of California! @leggo PE may have to moonlight making waffles at Pier 39.
Might need to, yeah, open a bakery. My menu would have sourdough bread, wholewheat sourdough bread, sourdough pretzels, and if I get my act together, sourdough bagels and pizza dough.

Except the bar for sourdough here is also exceptionally high.

Which reminds me, I had some sourdough bread as toast at my friends' spot in VT over the past weekend and WOW it's nothing like the sourdough I make. Such a closed crumb!

And to bring it back to the original post, they own their house and it's quite a nice one!

Might need to, yeah, open a bakery. My menu would have sourdough bread, wholewheat sourdough bread, sourdough pretzels, and if I get my act together, sourdough bagels and pizza dough.
Will you have any GF options available? :D

Median home value in Iowa is $137k, vs Sacramento CA @ $313k.  That is not even comparing size, quality, etc.  When we bought our first home 15 years ago, we made well over the $44k salary needed to buy the average home, but spent less than the average home cost.  Only put down 5%.  It felt tight for a while.  New house is well over the average, but then again we are now a 2 engineer family, and aren't poor anymore.  The second load to buy the adjacent property.... well, it will be tight again for a while.  :)

Yeah, I live in a really expensive city so the salary listed for Texas just won't cut it for buying a house here.  Maybe in the suburbs.

Arizona's average?
hqdefault.jpg

This graphic shows some of our sticker shock when we moved from GA to CO - but I guess they use the statewide average?

I think If I moved back to ATL the houses have gone up just as much if you want to be in a decent suburb, only difference is you would get more SF for your buck than here.

Utah is a little suprising? I always heard SLC was a fairly affordable place to live if you can put up with the Mormons running the town..

You can see there one of the main reasons I left Hawaii. 
I've always heard how expensive Hawaii was...but it was hard to understand until I visited.  Cost of living seems insane over there. I don't blame you for leaving.  

Back