Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
knight1fox3

Salary & Home Affordability by State

Some interesting stats. We put 12% (30-yr) down initially on our home in WI.

1529640891972585759971.jpg

Ugh...

Makes sense. LadySquare and I spent our last penny on our new spot. It's gonna be Top Ramen for the next 30 years...

I don't even live in the expensive part of California! @leggo PE may have to moonlight making waffles at Pier 39.

I wonder if the "average home" is comparable for each state (sq ft, brs, ba, lot size, etc.)

• Like 1

In my area it averages ~$200/sq. ft.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, squaretaper said:

I don't even live in the expensive part of California! @leggo PE may have to moonlight making waffles at Pier 39.

Might need to, yeah, open a bakery. My menu would have sourdough bread, wholewheat sourdough bread, sourdough pretzels, and if I get my act together, sourdough bagels and pizza dough.

• Haha 1

Just now, leggo PE said:

Might need to, yeah, open a bakery. My menu would have sourdough bread, wholewheat sourdough bread, sourdough pretzels, and if I get my act together, sourdough bagels and pizza dough.

In SF, you will probably make more money selling fancy sourdough to the gourmands than your day job!

Except the bar for sourdough here is also exceptionally high.

Which reminds me, I had some sourdough bread as toast at my friends' spot in VT over the past weekend and WOW it's nothing like the sourdough I make. Such a closed crumb!

And to bring it back to the original post, they own their house and it's quite a nice one!

13 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

Will you have any GF options available? :D

Median home value in Iowa is $137k, vs Sacramento CA @ $313k.  That is not even comparing size, quality, etc.  When we bought our first home 15 years ago, we made well over the $44k salary needed to buy the average home, but spent less than the average home cost.  Only put down 5%.  It felt tight for a while.  New house is well over the average, but then again we are now a 2 engineer family, and aren't poor anymore.  The second load to buy the adjacent property.... well, it will be tight again for a while.  :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I live in a really expensive city so the salary listed for Texas just won't cut it for buying a house here.  Maybe in the suburbs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, txjennah said:

Yeah, I live in a really expensive city so the salary listed for Texas just won't cut it for buying a house here.  Maybe in the suburbs.

Come to Iowa!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, knight1fox3 said:

Will you have any GF options available? :D

Maybe! I haven't experimented with any GF flour (yet).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, canadagoose said:

Arizona's average?

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

This graphic shows some of our sticker shock when we moved from GA to CO - but I guess they use the statewide average?

I think If I moved back to ATL the houses have gone up just as much if you want to be in a decent suburb, only difference is you would get more SF for your buck than here.

Utah is a little suprising? I always heard SLC was a fairly affordable place to live if you can put up with the Mormons running the town..

You can see there one of the main reasons I left Hawaii. 

18 minutes ago, Ble_PE said:

I've always heard how expensive Hawaii was...but it was hard to understand until I visited.  Cost of living seems insane over there. I don't blame you for leaving.  

1 hour ago, Ble_PE said:

It costs $55 to mail 4 books there.  That state can rot in heck.  

On 6/22/2018 at 10:53 AM, squaretaper said:

In my area it averages ~$200/sq. ft.

I paid almost 300 :12:

22 hours ago, Road Guy said:

This graphic shows some of our sticker shock when we moved from GA to CO - but I guess they use the statewide average?

I think If I moved back to ATL the houses have gone up just as much if you want to be in a decent suburb, only difference is you would get more SF for your buck than here.

Utah is a little suprising? I always heard SLC was a fairly affordable place to live if you can put up with the Mormons running the town..

i have fam in utah. my cousin says it's expensive, but her property taxes are 900...a year. 

And finally, I don't make the salary required for the average of the state, and live in the 2nd most expensive location. makes sense to me :)

Also filed under "its a small world"... there is a girl I worked with for about a year in Atlanta who moved to the Bay Area about a decade ago- she recently transferred to our Denver office. But she has been amused with how cheap things are in Denver. Said its unreal that you can even get lunch for less than $10 Bucks! Said like milk is around $7/ Gallon there?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1