FIFA World Cup 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Reaction score
Is anyone else following the World Cup this time around?

I've been catching bits of games here and there, and generally following it, even though the States royally messed up and didn't even qualify.

Just watched the second half of the Argentina-Croatia game on my lunch break and wow, Argentina deserved to lose 3-0. Though I didn't know they were quite that bad at team in general.

Is anyone else following the World Cup this time around?

I've been catching bits of games here and there, and generally following it, even though the States royally messed up and didn't even qualify.

Just watched the second half of the Argentina-Croatia game on my lunch break and wow, Argentina deserved to lose 3-0. Though I didn't know they were quite that bad at team in general.
Argentina, for the past few years at least, have quite a number of internationally recognized stars but they never seem to gel as a team.  It was the same at the last world cup as well.  Getting beat 3-0 by Croatia is a huge upset to say the least.  Disappointing to see the general poor conduct of the Argentine team in the second half of the game.

I've been catching bits of games here and there,
Same here. Trying to watch some with my daughter. 

I'm looking forward to the Women's World Cup next year. The US will be there. I think my daughter will be more interest in that. She's a fan of Alex Morgan. 

Argentina, for the past few years at least, have quite a number of internationally recognized stars but they never seem to gel as a team.  It was the same at the last world cup as well.  Getting beat 3-0 by Croatia is a huge upset to say the least.  Disappointing to see the general poor conduct of the Argentine team in the second half of the game.
Yeah, I roughly follow the international friendlies and watched the World Cup 4 years ago. What I didn't really realize was that apparently Argentina is on their fourth coach in as many years, which can't be good for the team when it comes to the players actually playing as a team. But it is sad to see player like Messi just not have the support to really shine. And they were on their backup goalie, who clearly was not up to snuff in the game yesterday in more than one way. Of the three goals given up yesterday, I'd say one was well-deserved and an amazing shot, one was goalie stupidity, and the third was a great save followed by a shutdown of defense and a Croatian player in the right place at the right time (aka poor luck for the Argentine goalie).

Anyway. There are always a few teams that don't make it out of the first round that are expected to. Looks like Argentina will probably be among them this year.

Yeah, I roughly follow the international friendlies and watched the World Cup 4 years ago. What I didn't really realize was that apparently Argentina is on their fourth coach in as many years, which can't be good for the team when it comes to the players actually playing as a team. But it is sad to see player like Messi just not have the support to really shine. And they were on their backup goalie, who clearly was not up to snuff in the game yesterday in more than one way. Of the three goals given up yesterday, I'd say one was well-deserved and an amazing shot, one was goalie stupidity, and the third was a great save followed by a shutdown of defense and a Croatian player in the right place at the right time (aka poor luck for the Argentine goalie).

Anyway. There are always a few teams that don't make it out of the first round that are expected to. Looks like Argentina will probably be among them this year.
First goal was definitely goalie error, second was a great play, third was forced from Argentina being so far behind the game and having to commit everyone forward in an attempt to score.  Other than the first, I'd say the other two goals were earned by Croatia.

how about Mexico beating Germany? I thought that was game was really good.  I have more interest now in the world cup than years past.  mostly because my daughter has gotten more interested in it. 

@akwooly that game was awesome! Well, I actually didn't see any of it, but I watched some clips and that was an awesome upset! I say that as a fan of Germany, too.

Caught some fun games on TV over the weekend! Especially as I'm a fan of Germany, and was happy to see them bounce back. Also, Switzerland! 

Caught some fun games on TV over the weekend! Especially as I'm a fan of Germany, and was happy to see them bounce back. Also, Switzerland! 
That Germany vs Sweden game was intense.  Talk about a last minute goal!

And the trend of current champs washing out of the WC continues.  Sad to see Germany leave the tournament, I'm a big fan of their style of football.  

In 2/3 of the group games, they were not clicking at all. Not sure what's up there. Normally, Die Mannschaft is really cohesive. But not so, when it really counted.
sad to see Germany out before the knock out round.

Back