Which Pencil to use...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NY-Computer-Engineer

Reaction score
I mentioned in the previous April 2018 pencil thread that my test pencil was 'collected' by the proctor at the conclusion of my April test.  However, I was able to get 'Castle Worldwide' to send me a replacement - they actually sent me three of them.

Now I am not sure which of the three I should have framed with my NYS wall certificate (whenever they send it to me).

One looks like the eraser was heavily used, a second seemed to have an eraser mildly used, and the third does not appear to have been used at all (see picture - pencils top to bottom as described).

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

NCEES Pencils S2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! And it all depends how you want to "tell the story". :thumbs:

• "That there folks is the pencil I used to take and eventually pass the PE exam."
  • "That there folks is the pencil that was provided to examinees during the PE exam. Unfortunately the proctors did not allow me to take mine with so I had to procure it from another source to add to my frame."

Here's another conundrum. Do you want to frame the pencil with the lead sticking out (symbolizing you're ready to take on anything life throws at you)? or tucked all the way in (as if the pencil/you've done your thing and conquered the world)?

Here's another conundrum. Do you want to frame the pencil with the lead sticking out (symbolizing you're ready to take on anything life throws at you)? or tucked all the way in (as if the pencil/you've done your thing and conquered the world)?
Oh my gosh - so many decisions to make on this.  My sister suggested I put all three pencils in the frame with some story behind each - although I don't know what else I can say about getting someone to send them to me. 

Also, that lead sticking out or not question did cross my mind as well.  They all arrived with the lead inside (or probably broken off).  As I've thought through my "framing strategy" I was thinking about using the 'new' one, but could not decide whether to have the lead out or in.  I would not like to take away its virginity unnecessarily.

I mentioned in the previous April 2018 pencil thread that my test pencil was 'collected' by the proctor at the conclusion of my April test.  However, I was able to get 'Castle Worldwide' to send me a replacement - they actually sent me three of them.

Now I am not sure which of the three I should have framed with my NYS wall certificate (whenever they send it to me).

One looks like the eraser was heavily used, a second seemed to have an eraser mildly used, and the third does not appear to have been used at all (see picture - pencils top to bottom as described).

View attachment 11644
Before the exam, I had it in my mind that I wont use the eraser no matter what. So it stays fresh. But before i submit the answer sheet, I got two problems that I need to write at the entire page and also really was forced to erase. RIP fresh NCEES pencil. But ofcourse it is very minimal erasure so its still very good. But **** I can't say to my son and grandson that I don't have to use my eraser passing that exam. xD

View attachment 11644
Gp18iHk.jpg

Mine was "collected" by a proctor as well, much to my (previously posted about) chagrin... I'd like to obtain an April 2018 pencil as well.. Do you have point of contact at Castle Worldwide that you could share with me?

Mine was "collected" by a proctor as well, much to my (previously posted about) chagrin... I'd like to obtain an April 2018 pencil as well.. Do you have point of contact at Castle Worldwide that you could share with me?
Sure, not a problem, especially for a Marine :)

I communicated with a Megan Lloyd, with the Email: [email protected] .  She was VERY helpful, really.

I would say drop my name in case it helps, however with her being from the South I would say telling her you are Marine would probably be more help. Make sure you mention how the proctor 'collected' it from you.

Good luck Marine (my son is a Marine with three deployments under his belt - the 2 2 out of Camp Lejeune).

Sure, not a problem, especially for a Marine :)

I communicated with a Megan Lloyd, with the Email: [email protected] .  She was VERY helpful, really.

I would say drop my name in case it helps, however with her being from the South I would say telling her you are Marine would probably be more help. Make sure you mention how the proctor 'collected' it from you.

Good luck Marine (my son is a Marine with three deployments under his belt - the 2 2 out of Camp Lejeune).
Thanks! Semper Fi, Devil Dad! 

View attachment 11644
nice pencils. Is that a clicker on the side? They updated a lot in one year! 

Yeah, that is the clicker.  I found it a little confusing to use and I accidentally hit it more than once when I did not intend to do so.
Cool. Yeah I never liked those side clickers, I can't imagine having to show up to the exam and getting that one... ontop of all the other surprises with questions... eek

I can't believe this is an actual thread >>facepalm<<

On another note, it's very cool that they sent you three pencils!

I can't believe this is an actual thread >>facepalm<<

On another note, it's very cool that they sent you three pencils!
Well, I saw mention about proctors trying to collect the pencils on a another thread, so I decided to update everyone on my experience.

I agree that it was great they sent me three replacements, however I think I'm still emotionally attached to the one I used during the test - we went through a lot together.

Once I get my wall parchment I plan on having it professionally frames along with one of these pencils.  At his moment I'm leaning toward the one with a more heavily used eraser since that is closer to what mine went through :happy:

I'm not sure what I will do with the other two, but once I learn the complete list all my co-workers that passed that exam, I plan on setting up get-together, and maybe one of them could grab theirs as they left.  The third one may go up on eBay.

Back