Who here rides motorcycles?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
I used to ride a lot when I was a teen. Got the bug to ride again and have been looking at used bikes on craigslist. That should raise a red flag, but it hasn't.  Anyway, it's taken me a while to narrow down my choices for what I want, but I think I want a Yamaha FZ1.  There's a reasonable deal on a used 2005 that I am tempted to pull the trigger on.  What other bikes are in the same class?  From what I've read, there aren't too many.

I used to ride a lot when I was a teen. Got the bug to ride again and have been looking at used bikes on craigslist. That should raise a red flag, but it hasn't.  Anyway, it's taken me a while to narrow down my choices for what I want, but I think I want a Yamaha FZ1.  There's a reasonable deal on a used 2005 that I am tempted to pull the trigger on.  What other bikes are in the same class?  From what I've read, there aren't too many.
The Suzuki SV1000 is comparable from the same era. I didn't ride the SV1000, but I did ride the SV650. I really liked the balance of the Suzuki.

Had a Prowler Yellow Suzuki GS 500 many moons ago.  I think about getting another bike again every now and then, but all the negatives outweigh the few positives i can come up with.  

I can't tell by looking. Is that the R600 or the R1000? And how can you stand to be leaned over for long periods?  I've considered going that route, but I'm not sure I want to put my back through that.
I went with the R600 as I really liked the weight ratio and balance. Plus I've had it up near the 120mph range so it's definitely fast enough. Some mods I've done are fender eliminator, Sho-gun crash kit with frame sliders, Puig windshield, and Corbin seat. I upgraded the R/R component recently as well since Suzuki in their engineering wisdom located it on the exhaust side of the radiator. So I'm amazed the original lasted as long as it did.

As for ergonomics, yes this type of bike isn't designed for extremely long rides. I've taken it north to GB before which just over 2 hours and that's probably all I care to do. And Tony Horton helps keep my lower back in good shape. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
The R1000 will do 186, IIRC. What is the benefit to eliminating the rear fender? I see a lot of bikes have the Corbin seat upgrade... seems like they should make that stock, too.

From what I can tell, the FZ1 should be able to keep up with an R6 GSXR600, and CBR600, for the most part.  Maybe not in the 0 to 60 time, but close.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always had cruisers (Kawasaki Vulcan 750 and a Nighthawk 650). I got the bug to get one recently but compromised with the wife and we are currently looking for a Jeep. 

The Suzuki SV1000 is comparable from the same era. I didn't ride the SV1000, but I did ride the SV650. I really liked the balance of the Suzuki.

I was looking at the SV650 back in the day, but then I got engaged, married, etc., and now my money goes elsewhere.

Back