EET Civil- Structural

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jocey07

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a repeat test taker and failed 2018 exam 47/50. I felt like I put in enough effort and took 4 practice exams and still failed. I need to re-strategize and change the way I am studying.

I was looking at the EET course. How helpful is the AM portion?

Also, is the PM portion pretty relevant to the questions asked on the exam. I know that the type of questions on the PM portion is a wildcard, sometimes the focus is heavily on steel and sometimes on wood, reinforced or prestressed concrete.

Do I just do the EET AM part and skip the EET PM and study that part on my own?

Also, any advice on how to pass will be very very helpful . I plan on starting to study early this time, because time is of the essence- I have 1.5 year old toddler and my husband travels frequently for work.

Thanks

Hi @jocey07!

Sorry to hear you didn't pass this time, but you have the right mindset in getting back into this to kill the PE Exam come October!

Without seeing your diagnostic (or at least your morning/afternoon breakdown), it's a little tough to give specific advice. However, basing it off of myself, I'd say it sounds like I was in a similar place with a similar score (46 and 45 before taking EET and passing). Because it took me three times to pass the exam, I put seriously thought my third time around into what I was going to do differently. I ultimately decided to go with both the AM and PM EET classes, because I saw it as my opportunity to maximize my chances at passing the PE exam on my third try. I didn't want to regret not having taking the PM portion, especially when I saw some definite weaknesses there. Of course, there are many things to consider when deciding whether to take a course or not. But ultimately for me, I really liked the structure EET provided and found both the AM and PM binders invaluable in the exam. Heck, I still reference them from time to time in my job!

As for the AM portion, I think it's highly recommended everyone on this site! They address all the topics strategically and while it took me a little bit of time to get accustomed to the different professors' different styles, I think all of them executed the topics they were responsible for very well.

I'll plug the practice problems in the structural PM model, too! They were limitless, it seemed. I couldn't get through them all! I ended up having to choose the topics I wanted to do more practice problems in (if I remember, I chose steel and concrete, and basically anything with connections). And the practice problems were all of great value to me -- they helped reinforce concepts and were overall at a similar difficulty level that I saw on the exam.

If you want, check out the thread I started a while back here: 

There is a lot of good advice in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
EET Breath did an excellent job for 2018 April test. It covered about 36/40. For depth, although like EET binder a lot, it only covered about half questions. Too many wood design questions in April's exam.

EET Breath did an excellent job for 2018 April test. It covered about 36/40. For depth, although like EET binder a lot, it only covered about half questions. Too many wood design questions in April's exam.
Yeah, while I didn't take the exam this past cycle, I generally agree here.

The AM binder will likely cover nearly all of the questions you will encounter in the AM session. The PM binder will cover (at least in the exam I took with the EET binder) 50-60% of the PM questions (probably closer to 50%). There is just so much more in the structural PM section to pull questions from relative to what NCEES is willing to pull questions from for the AM section. This is where your work experience and familiarity with structural design and codes really comes into play.

Based on my limited experience with PPI's old class (before they re-organized it one or two exam cycles ago) and EET's structural PM class, I doubt there is a class out there that could cover absolutely everything you're going to see in the PM questions. I do, however, think EET does a very good job with what they can reasonably be expected to teach!

April 2018 was my first attempt, I took EET breadth and depth. I thought the morning was a breeze and honestly feel it was possible I got all 40 right and my only studying for it was EET's course and tabbing/highlighting the CERM.

The PM while more difficult did have some curveball questions that they didn't prepare us for, but I don't think you could expect any review course to prepair you for those questions(they were honestly just very detail specific code questions). As a whole I felt confident about the PM and the questions that I didn't expect for most of them the answer could be found word for word in the code, it was just a matter of finding it. I did all practice problems that EET provided, attended every online class, went back through the notes a second time and highlighted and color coded tabbed it by sub topics, and then I went through every reference code in the 2 weeks before the exam and color coded tabbed them to match the tabs I had in my EET binder, it made it easier so that if I couldn't find a solution in EET's binder I went directly to the code to the relevant section and then I had a starting point to try to find the actual line of code that was relevant to the question at hand.

school of PE is better than EET

Construction topics for morning at EET really are too bad and lack of a lot of information.
School of PE sucks.

I have both EET and School of PE course material for breadth and geotech depth, so I can compare the 2. EET's breadth construction topics review served me just fine when I passed the exam. 

Take my advice everyone, and sign up for EET if you want to pass.

I guess, then ere the practice problems in the breadth and depth (structural) sufficient In EET? School of PE

Did you end up doing problems outside of either course?

Hi @leggo PE, did you do practice problems outside EET for either the AM or PM?

How may full length practice tests did you take?

Thanks for your input again!

Hi @leggo PE, did you do practice problems outside EET for either the AM or PM?

How may full length practice tests did you take?

Thanks for your input again!
Hi jocey! The last time around, the only practice problems I did outside of EET were the ones from the NCEES practice exam. In prior times, however, I had relied heavily on the PPI practice problems, so I had many of those under my belt. I just didn't physically have time to do more problems than the ones EET offered!

Also, I took the NCEES practice exam at the state of my studies, took the EET practice exam at the appointed time per the class schedule, and then took the NCEES practice exam again the week after. So I think in my last round of studying, I took a full length practice test three times.

hello every one and congratulation for everyone pass pe exam  i gonna take October exam  for the first time  but want to ask how i can easy find the  6 questions which related with the standards , also what is the different between topic 7 and 11 in the shown diagnostic  

Back