Adult children living at home

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exengineer

Reaction score
The recent news of the 30 year old fellow who has been ordered by a judge to move from his parents' house shows just how serious a problem this has become.  At what age should adults be required to get their own place to live and stop annoying the parents?  

livingathome.jpg

The recent news of the 30 year old fellow who has been ordered by a judge to move from his parents' house shows just how serious a problem this has become.  At what age should adults be required to get their own place to live and stop annoying the parents?  

View attachment 11546
Why do you have an issue with multi generational housing?

My parents made this one pretty easy - if I skipped school, I worked and paid rent.  If I went to school, I could live there during the summers until I graduated.  Once I had a job after graduation, nice knowing you!

was the guy even mowing the grass at least?

one of our neighbors has his adult kid (mid 20's) and wife moving in with them so they can save money for a house. The mom seems thrilled, the dad not so much. At some point they just need to "go" but I know living in an overpriced area getting a down payment for a $350K starter home isn't easy..

was the guy even mowing the grass at least?

one of our neighbors has his adult kid (mid 20's) and wife moving in with them so they can save money for a house. The mom seems thrilled, the dad not so much. At some point they just need to "go" but I know living in an overpriced area getting a down payment for a $350K starter home isn't easy..
No. 

The case is fascinating. I've shared it in two flavors- Vice and NPR. That should cover most of the preferences around here. 

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7xm8x9/parents-sue-adult-son-30-who-wont-move-out-vgtrn

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/23/613616315/judge-backs-n-y-parents-saying-their-30-year-old-son-must-move-out

I found it alarming that he has a kid that he's trying to custody of and that he doesn't want to get a job, because then he can't get free court costs. This guy is twisted. 

Meh, my brother still lives at home, but he works, pays rent, and helps my parents a lot around the house.

I don't have an issue if an adult wants to live with their parents, especially with the economy as it is.  Not everyone gets a paycheck that gives them enough disposable income for renting an apartment.  There are other cultures where it's perfectly acceptable to live at home as an adult - nearly all of my adult, unmarried Italian cousins still live with their parents.

But the guy in the article sounds like a complete waste of space.

Meh, my brother still lives at home, but he works, pays rent, and helps my parents a lot around the house.

I don't have an issue if an adult wants to live with their parents, especially with the economy as it is.  Not everyone gets a paycheck that gives them enough disposable income for renting an apartment.  There are other cultures where it's perfectly acceptable to live at home as an adult - nearly all of my adult, unmarried Italian cousins still live with their parents.

But the guy in the article sounds like a complete waste of space.
Italy is the country I bring up the most when people talk about kids living at home. They are true mutligenerational homes and the culture is set up for it. Grandparents care for grandkids while the parents are at work. It makes sense. My grandmother lived with us. 

This guy comes off so horribly that it almost seems fake. I like that he wants 30 days to move out, like he's got a lease. I also like that he took the $1000 he was supposed to use to move out to buy things. 

My daughter moved in with my wife and I when she finished her advanced degree.  She has a job as an Adjunct Professor at a state college so she is gone all day.  Since Adjuncts are paid less than public school teachers, she can't afford her own place just yet.  We only see her at dinner and weekends, but she also does her share of work around the house.  I guess I got lucky!

My daughter moved in with my wife and I when she finished her advanced degree.  She has a job as an Adjunct Professor at a state college so she is gone all day.  Since Adjuncts are paid less than public school teachers, she can't afford her own place just yet.  We only see her at dinner and weekends, but she also does her share of work around the house.  I guess I got lucky!
It's ridiculous how poorly adjunct professors are paid :(

Since I like freedom, I think it should be up to each individual household to decide the rules to abide therein.

Italy is the country I bring up the most when people talk about kids living at home. They are true mutligenerational homes and the culture is set up for it. Grandparents care for grandkids while the parents are at work. It makes sense. My grandmother lived with us. 

This guy comes off so horribly that it almost seems fake. I like that he wants 30 days to move out, like he's got a lease. I also like that he took the $1000 he was supposed to use to move out to buy things. 
Did you see the super-awkward interview on CNN? Wow...

Did you see the super-awkward interview on CNN? Wow...
****  if he doesn't look like he'd debate if an airplane on a treadmill would take off and the merits of the the new Solo movie....

I like that he considers himself a conservative. Um, you're still living off the system...just the system answers to mom and dad. 

PLUS! Plus, don't say you don't want to reconcile with your parents on national television when you have to go back there tonight. Good gosh. 

I'm going to yell at my kid tonight just to keep him honest. 

It's not even the fact that he was living at home, but I get the distinct impression that he spent his days in the basement on his PC/Xbox/Playstation.  When I graduated I moved back to Cincy, I actually lived with my parents again for a while.  I paid rent (which mom put in an account and gave to me to use towards my down payment when I got my house), I still did chores around the house, bought them a new fridge and oven when the old ones were about shot (figured I had used them enough over my years growing up that it wouldn't kill me).

I shouldn't have read those articles or watched the interview.  All it did was piss me off even more.  She asks him if he's trying to get a job and he can't even answer a simple yes or no question.  Whatever he said about trying to obtain income absolutely screams that he's trying to use all the publicity he's getting to get a free ride from someone else.  He had a job at Best Buy and is suing them because they fired him for refusing to work on Saturdays?  He keeps falling back on this custody thing to try and get sympathy, but do you suppose he ever stopped to think that the fact that he is such a loser might have something to do with that?  This bozo is the personification of what society is raising nowadays.  When he is still in his parents' house, because you know he's never really going to leave on his own, the sheriff needs to throw him in the back of a squad car and give him two choices...jail or boot camp.

I shouldn't have read those articles or watched the interview.  All it did was piss me off even more.  She asks him if he's trying to get a job and he can't even answer a simple yes or no question.  Whatever he said about trying to obtain income absolutely screams that he's trying to use all the publicity he's getting to get a free ride from someone else.  He had a job at Best Buy and is suing them because they fired him for refusing to work on Saturdays?  He keeps falling back on this custody thing to try and get sympathy, but do you suppose he ever stopped to think that the fact that he is such a loser might have something to do with that?  This bozo is the personification of what society is raising nowadays.  When he is still in his parents' house, because you know he's never really going to leave on his own, the sheriff needs to throw him in the back of a squad car and give him two choices...jail or boot camp.
Dont worry, your taxes are going to be increased to pay for this guy.  

Its all good!

Back