Jump to content
Engineer Boards
​ ​
Edu

Practice Problems Materials for Power Exam

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I took the Power PE exam last April for the first time and I failed regardless I thought I was prepared for it. I studied intensively for 3 months and I used most of the materials previous exam takers recommended me. Based on my results I know I was very close with almost 50 questions right but I did poorly in two topics: "Devices and Power Electronics" and "Protection". I did several practice exams like NCEES, Camara, Complex Imaginary, Spin Up and more and still i got no luck. Did I miss something? Is there any book you can recommend me? I really don't know any other resource that may help me pass in October. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Edu said:

Hi everyone, I took the Power PE exam last April for the first time and I failed regardless I thought I was prepared for it. I studied intensively for 3 months and I used most of the materials previous exam takers recommended me. Based on my results I know I was very close with almost 50 questions right but I did poorly in two topics: "Devices and Power Electronics" and "Protection". I did several practice exams like NCEES, Camara, Complex Imaginary, Spin Up and more and still i got no luck. Did I miss something? Is there any book you can recommend me? I really don't know any other resource that may help me pass in October. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you all.

Have you taken a prep course?  I took School of PE and while their lectures were a coin flip, I answered probably 10 questions correctly because of their very thorough notes that I would have otherwise gotten wrong trying to compile things on my own.  That and the Engineer Pro Guide Power notes from engproguides.com are the sources I credit for my success.

People who have taken Georgia Tech's course also vouch for its helpfulness.  

Also, take the FE Handbook with you.  I answered correctly (I think) 3-4 questions I would have missed entirely had I not had the information from the FE book at my disposal.

Edited by BirdGrave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wasted money on expensive prep courses for me.

Graffeo was my #1 best reference.

#2 was Engineering Pro guides tech study guide and full exam. Those 2 sources were 10x more useful than my other dozen references by far. 

Get both of them.

Studied 3 months. Took 16 full 8-hr practice exams. Passed first try April 2018. 

Good luck! You can do it!

here are the practice exams I worked in full in 8-hr days at the library:

 

1x 2011 Ncees practice exam in Jan 

1x Graffeo

5x Spin Up

2x Camara/PPI practice exams

4x Complex Imaginary

1x Engineering Pro Guides full exam

.5x 45-problems in Eng Pro Guide tech study guide

1x Camara/PPI practice problems book

1x 2018 NCEES practice exam on Weds

Edited by Surf and Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Surf and Snow said:

No wasted money on expensive prep courses for me.

Graffeo was my #1 best reference.

#2 was Engineering Pro guides tech study guide and full exam. Those 2 sources were 10x more useful than my other dozen references by far. 

Get both of them.

Studied 3 months. Took 16 full 8-hr practice exams. Passed first try April 2018. 

Good luck! You can do it!

here are the practice exams I worked in full in 8-hr days at the library:

 

1x 2011 Ncees practice exam in Jan 

1x Graffeo

5x Spin Up

2x Camara/PPI practice exams

4x Complex Imaginary

1x Engineering Pro Guides full exam

.5x 45-problems in Eng Pro Guide tech study guide

1x Camara/PPI practice problems book

1x 2018 NCEES practice exam on Weds

While I don't think anything that helps you get through the exam is a waste because it will pay for itself many times over I agree that Graffeo is the single best book you can bring with you into the exam for aid with conceptual questions.  Its pithy nature allows you to seek out the vital information you need while at the same time not waste precious minutes doing a lot of flipping through pages.

A combination of Graffeo + Engineer Pro Guides Formula Sheet + School of PE notes + Tom Henry NEC keyword index was my winning combination.  I barely even looked at any of my other resources throughout the exam, save for the actual NEC.  

Edited by BirdGrave
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BirdGrave said:

While I don't think anything that helps you get through the exam is a waste because it will pay for itself many times over I agree that Graffeo is the single best book you can bring with you into the exam for aid with conceptual questions.  Its pithy nature allows you to seek out the vital information you need while at the same time not waste precious minutes doing a lot of flipping through pages.

A combination of Graffeo + Engineer Pro Guides Formula Sheet + School of PE notes + Tom Henry NEC keyword index was my winning combination.  I barely even looked at any of my other resources throughout the exam, save for the actual NEC.  

Honestly, if you prepared enough almost all your notes will go unused save for specific odd ball problems or code lookups.

By test day... all the math and formula should be memorized if you've practiced enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Edu said:

Hi everyone, I took the Power PE exam last April for the first time and I failed regardless I thought I was prepared for it. I studied intensively for 3 months and I used most of the materials previous exam takers recommended me. Based on my results I know I was very close with almost 50 questions right but I did poorly in two topics: "Devices and Power Electronics" and "Protection". I did several practice exams like NCEES, Camara, Complex Imaginary, Spin Up and more and still i got no luck. Did I miss something? Is there any book you can recommend me? I really don't know any other resource that may help me pass in October. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you all.

I practiced all those books but did all of them three times over, made a cheat sheet of commonly used equations and referenced my books as if I'm taking the exam and timing myself. The first time i did the practice exams i made sure I understood the full solution, the second and third times I did in a single seating to emulate the challenge of sitting for 4 hour sessions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your recommendations. Does any of you can recommend me a particular material for protection relaying? I  noticed that was my biggest weakness during the exam. Please pm me with any digital materials you may want to share, specially practice problems. Best regards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Edu said:

Thank you all for your recommendations. Does any of you can recommend me a particular material for protection relaying? I  noticed that was my biggest weakness during the exam. Please pm me with any digital materials you may want to share, specially practice problems. Best regards!

Protective Relaying by Blackburn was pretty good. I read part of it, not a bad read. 

Also, I watched a ton of YouTube videos posted by relay vendors about protective relaying and that helped temendously (especially understanding reclosers, etc.). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Edu said:

Thank you all for your recommendations. Does any of you can recommend me a particular material for protection relaying? I  noticed that was my biggest weakness during the exam. Please pm me with any digital materials you may want to share, specially practice problems. Best regards!

Besides the references I used below (for sale) plus Graffeo, NEC and my 2 personal binders, I used The Art and Science of Protective Relaying (GE) and IEEE Buff Books.  These references helped me answer a few questions which may have contributed to passing this past exam.  I also watched hours of YouTube videos to help solidify the concepts that I had read.  For me, video explanations made the difference.  Good luck!!

image.jpeg

Edited by Kalika PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kalika PE said:

I used The Art and Science of Protective Relaying (GE) and IEEE Buff Books.  These references helped me answer a few questions which may have contributed to passing this past exam.  I also watched hours of Youtube videos to help solidify the concepts that I had read.  For me, video explanations made the difference.  Good luck!!

This.  Also ask questions.   Relaying is unfortunately only really learned by doing it though. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Edu said:

Thank you all for your recommendations. Does any of you can recommend me a particular material for protection relaying? I  noticed that was my biggest weakness during the exam. Please pm me with any digital materials you may want to share, specially practice problems. Best regards!

I used the Blackburn Book.

and GE Art & Science of Protective Relaying book: http://www.gegridsolutions.com/multilin/notes/artsci/

Used the printer at work to print, then brought the printed pages to Office Depot and paid like $4 to have it spiral bound and covered.

Those two are big books that go deep for those hard to get conceptual questions are available above for FREE. Now for the math equations and basics, this little Power Engineers Protective Relaying Quick Reference costs $25 but IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD! This was my 3rd most used book out of ALL my references both in study and on the exam. I HIGHLY recommend it. https://www.powereng.com/news-publications/quick-reference/ 

Here's a thread about this topic:

 

 

Edited by Surf and Snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Edu said:

Thank you all for your recommendations. Does any of you can recommend me a particular material for protection relaying? I  noticed that was my biggest weakness during the exam. Please pm me with any digital materials you may want to share, specially practice problems. Best regards!

I printed this one out and put it in a binder. Found good explanations for some questions using the index: http://www.gegridsolutions.com/multilin/notes/artsci/artsci.pdf 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind the Blackburn book has copyright protection.

 

It grinds my gears to keep seeing people post a link to a copy right resource to print it...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all. I'Il do that. What about the "Devices and power electronics" topic? I used Graffeo as main resource and I think it lacks in that specific topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Surf and Snow thank you for the feedback and glad I could be of help.  Just to ditto @Szar i think you should remove that blackburn link.  I am very paranoid about copyright infringement ever since that article from NCEES came out.  So just watch out.  https://ncees.org/ncees-reaches-settlement/  

@Edu I really like these Danfoss tutorials that focus on variable speed drives.  http://drives.danfoss.us/knowledge-center/training/#/

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Szar said:

Keep in mind the Blackburn book has copyright protection.

 

It grinds my gears to keep seeing people post a link to a copy right resource to print it...

Link redacted. FWIW, I didn’t personally use the PDF. I used a hardback copy we have in my work library. As for the GE book, the link is direct to GEs website where they themselves have it posted as free open source. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Surf and Snow said:

Link redacted. FWIW, I didn’t personally use the PDF. I used a hardback copy we have in my work library. As for the GE book, the link is direct to GEs website where they themselves have it posted as free open source. 

Understood.  Its not the first time ive seen that link.  Someone was also providing prints of these books on rhe yard sale section too... idk.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2018 at 6:13 PM, Szar said:

Understood.  Its not the first time ive seen that link.  Someone was also providing prints of these books on rhe yard sale section too... idk.  

This is similar to when I see people selling their private review course material. The disclaimer on my GA Tech binder was essentially "do not distribute". :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knight1fox3 said:

This is similar to when I see people selling their private review course material. The disclaimer on my GA Tech binder was essentially "do not distribute". :dunno:

Good point. I will add that to my ad for the GA Tech book I am selling. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Kalika PE said:

Good point. I will add that to my ad for the GA Tech book I am selling. Thanks!

Yet you're going to distribute it anyway? :huh:

The GA Tech binder is copyright material by GA Tech University and for the sole purpose of the person that pays for the associated review course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Yet you're going to distribute it anyway? :huh:

The GA Tech binder is copyright material by GA Tech University and for the sole purpose of the person that pays for the associated review course.

From what I have seen on other ads, the GA Tech Binder was sold as a stand alone item without access to the class. My class access has ended and I’m just selling the binder. Unless I am understanding the other ads incorrectly or our discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kalika PE said:

From what I have seen on other ads, the GA Tech Binder was sold as a stand alone item without access to the class. My class access has ended and I’m just selling the binder. Unless I am understanding the other ads incorrectly or our discussion. 

 

Did you solely create the notes in the binder you are selling?

 

Everything is inevitably copyrighted, even without the seal.  It justs provides one more degree of protection legally.

 

https://www.teachingcopyright.org/handout/copyright-faq.html

Edited by Szar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kalika PE said:

From what I have seen on other ads, the GA Tech Binder was sold as a stand alone item without access to the class. My class access has ended and I’m just selling the binder. Unless I am understanding the other ads incorrectly or our discussion. 

Any ads you might have seen here that are selling the GA Tech review course binder are in breech of the associated terms & conditions. This was a previous debate a number of years ago here on this forum. If you read through all that GA Tech sent when you accepted the agreement and submitted payment (FYI, I also took the course), the sole intent of the binder is for the end-user only who purchased the accompanying review course. In essence, you would be turning a profit from GA Tech copyrighted material without first obtaining express written permission from the university to do so. It would be somewhat different if the binder were publicly offered, but alas it is not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, knight1fox3 said:

Any ads you might have seen here that are selling the GA Tech review course binder are in breech of the associated terms & conditions. This was a previous debate a number of years ago here on this forum. If you read through all that GA Tech sent when you accepted the agreement and submitted payment (FYI, I also took the course), the sole intent of the binder is for the end-user only who purchased the accompanying review course. In essence, you would be turning a profit from GA Tech copyrighted material without first obtaining express written permission from the university to do so. It would be somewhat different if the binder were publicly offered, but alas it is not.

I am asking the instructor of the course about selling the binder. Thanks for clarifying this information. I was understanding this from a different perspective. Selling the material but prohibiting making any copies of the binder and distributing it. Hopefully I have a response soon. 

Edited by Kalika PE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×