California PE Lic. Numbers??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacMe24

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know how long it takes California to issue PE license numbers? I got my PASS result from NCEES last week and I submitted my application/references etc. before the board changed the rules last Dec. I was approved by BPELSG to sit for the exam and already submitted the 1-page form to notify them of a successful exam result.

Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

pjavery said:
All I know is that they create license lists as those forms come in, and then grant licenses at the end of the month. So hopefully end of June for you?

I'm banking on 2 months for mine (based on the October threads; I'm submitting a full app on next Monday since a few of my references have to go through company mail); so I can't imagine yours will come later than June.
Thank you very much! I guess I'll keep checking every week (if not every day) starting next month...good luck to you with the submittal process!

Thank you very much! I guess I'll keep checking every week (if not every day) starting next month...good luck to you with the submittal process!
Definitely keep checking every week! I think I got my license number after last April's cycle some time in the beginning of June.

Definitely keep checking every week! I think I got my license number after last April's cycle some time in the beginning of June.
Thank you !... I didn't think it would take that long but it is what it is... :bananalama:

Hello,

Does anyone know how long it takes California to issue PE license numbers? I got my PASS result from NCEES last week and I submitted my application/references etc. before the board changed the rules last Dec. I was approved by BPELSG to sit for the exam and already submitted the 1-page form to notify them of a successful exam result.

Any info. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Same. I applied to the board before exam de-couple rule came in force. Registered for the exam only after I got technical approval email from bpelsg. On passing the exam I sent the board notification form. Now waiting to get the license number/response from the board.

Same. I applied to the board before exam de-couple rule came in force. Registered for the exam only after I got technical approval email from bpelsg. On passing the exam I sent the board notification form. Now waiting to get the license number/response from the board.
I was told to check every week which I have been doing (daily actually 😂)...the most recent BPELSG lic. update was yesterday so I think we're going to have to wait until sometime in June to get our license numbers... Congrats on passing the exam by the way !

Congratulations to all who have passed! 

Out of sheer geekiness, I figured that the last California PE# that was issued (as of their late night update of June 4, 2018) is 88886. 

I also got technical approval by the BPELSG before I registered for the exams.   I sent the board my pass results from NCEES and I am waiting for my number also.

So if you really want to see if they are assigning numbers daily, here is your baseline number to check for June 5, 2018 on forward.

Out of sheer geekiness, I figured that the last California PE# that was issued (as of their late night update of June 4, 2018) is 88886. 

I also got technical approval by the BPELSG before I registered for the exams.   I sent the board my pass results from NCEES and I am waiting for my number also.

So if you really want to see if they are assigning numbers daily, here is your baseline number to check for June 5, 2018 on forward.
I'm about to submit my application package. How long does the entire process take? I've heard 10 weeks or so. Seems slow but then again, waited 6 weeks for a scantron result....

I'm about to submit my application package. How long does the entire process take? I've heard 10 weeks or so. Seems slow but then again, waited 6 weeks for a scantron result....
I submitted mine mid November. Got approved on Jan 31st. 

I talked to a few of my coworkers who got license last year. They said usually take no more than a week to get their license numbers after they got passed results. It's been almost 3 weeks and no updates yet. 

I talked to a few of my coworkers who got license last year. They said usually take no more than a week to get their license numbers after they got passed results. It's been almost 3 weeks and no updates yet. 
Yes... in fact I just checked the board's website and the last update was done yesterday...no new licenses yet for those of us who took the exam in April '18 and passed...

Yes... in fact I just checked the board's website and the last update was done yesterday...no new licenses yet for those of us who took the exam in April '18 and passed...
But they did manage to cash my check the 29th, I turned my application (full application) by hand on Friday the 25th, at 8am sharp. Probably dumping all those application packets out, cashing the checks and going "we'll get to reviewing them later"

But they did manage to cash my check the 29th, I turned my application (full application) by hand on Friday the 25th, at 8am sharp. Probably dumping all those application packets out, cashing the checks and going "we'll get to reviewing them later"
If it's anything like it was two years ago, they are massively understaffed when it comes to the amount of people they have reviewing what is likely hundreds, if not thousands, of applications.

And yeah, how you described it was what it was like before the PE Exam was decoupled from the license application. I'm not sure I would expect it to change all that much.

Did your coworkers take it last April? I'd venture to guess that almost everyone who took it last April had already applied in the fall of 2016 to get their application approved. Thus, as soon as they passed the PE Exam, all they had to do was forward the BPELSG a form saying they passed, without having to submit a whole application after the fact.

The Board made an announcement some time after the application deadline for April 2017 that the PE Exam was now decoupled from the application process. I believe that's the difference here.

Last edited by a moderator:
pjavery said:
They do have the benefit though of now only having to review applications from folks who passed. Which should cut down the number they have to review by 30-40%.

I'd bet you're right though in that they're likely still understaffed for the number of apps they'll receive.
Plus there must be an influx of applications right now, and again after October. Lucky me, my last reference is in a "property dispute" about 2 hours away and says he will be too busy to get my reference done any time soon.

I got my license number this morning as well when i checked it!! Finally after 3 weeks of waiting!! Congrats to all who got their numbers as well!

Back