Salaries??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PE Career

What kind of salaries do you guys expect after passing the PE?? I am curious what the typical ranges are as I prepare to ask for a raise. I have 5 years exp.

The range fully depends on where you're located, what you do, etc. What's your field of engineering? Public or private? There's a lot to take into account.

I don't expect anything. A PE license isn't required or common for the field I am in (machine design). I took the PE as a personal challenge and to potentially open up future opportunities.

Bossman might throw a little cash at me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard of any automatic pay bumps for getting a PE. However, it can open doors to higher paid opportunities down the road.

My company gives an automatic dollar an hour pay raise (equal to $2,000 a year approximately)

My company gives an automatic raise but nothing crazy. My friend's last year was about 4%. I just passed :)  so I'll see if mine is the same soon.  FYI I work for a civil/municipal engineering and consulting company so they really push everyone to get their PE.

The range fully depends on where you're located, what you do, etc. What's your field of engineering? Public or private? There's a lot to take into account.
This. I will get $0 more as a PE. I don't need a PE and will be the same salary with or without it. (Fed Gov employee) But if I ever go to the Private sector it will be good.

Echoing what others have said... I heard we don't get a big raise (I'm at a nationwide consulting firm with ~6,000 employees).  I assume the value is further down the hallway from the doors that open from having your PE, like project management, office management, etc which comes with more responsibility. 

If you don't ask for a raise I think you are hurting yourself. It seems most people try to underpay engineers relative to the amount of value they add to a company. I'm planning on asking for at least 10% to match another offer I was given by a different company. Even if you are in a field that doesn't really require a stamp it makes you look better then your colleagues who don't have a stamp.

I am a Civil (Land development) who has been with my company since graduation (5 years). I just recently passed my PE exam on the first try. I am currently making around 55k but I am anticipating a large raise considering I haven’t received one in 2 years. I work for a smaller company (<100) in a small market but we are a well established firm. I am crazy to ask for 70k? Thoughts?

I am a Civil (Land development) who has been with my company since graduation (5 years). I just recently passed my PE exam on the first try. I am currently making around 55k but I am anticipating a large raise considering I haven’t received one in 2 years. I work for a smaller company (<100) in a small market but we are a well established firm. I am crazy to ask for 70k? Thoughts?
Where are you located?

This. I will get $0 more as a PE. I don't need a PE and will be the same salary with or without it. (Fed Gov employee) But if I ever go to the Private sector it will be good.
This. It all depends on your industry and situation. I will get $0 with a Mech PE because all our work is eletrical/power/controls. If I went back to natural gas, I could ask for, but not be guaranteed, 5%. Mech PEs just aren't really in demand, especially since these utilities often have civil/structural components and the lead civil could still stamp those mechanical construction drawings in the absence of a Mech PE.

That's the thing. I get a $2,000 pay bump, but it's because i'm in consulting for Civil and our stamp is necessary and i become that much more marketable.

Back