Passing PE exam & current employer reaction?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zak

Reaction score
Hi! Congrats to all who passed the exam and good luck to everybody who will pass it in next October!  Registered back in 2015 was long time reader, now I got a "real life" reason to write a question: How did your current employer react on your achievement?

I did passed the exam ME machine design, first attempt.      

basically nothing. LOL i got a congratulations from the bossman. 
 5 years of experience, got my PE but really nothing progressing career wise....
Kind of in a stupid cycle of was this /is this worth it? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Our president sent out a company wide email naming those of us that passed and congratulating us.

Then I had to ask HR for new business cards.  The new cards had a position change on it to 'engineer', but my paychecks are identical.  Go figure.

I didn’t even mention it to my boss. I’d be the only PE. That means stamping our outsourced engineering from another country lol. 

Heck no! I’m not going to review some IEC NEC Hybrid that hasn’t been performed under my supervision. I’ll just be silently leaving and looking for a new opportunity lol

Well, I got a lot of congrats from boss and colleagues. Promised a 5K raise (5K, can you believe this?! ). Aaaaand that's that.

I got a raise the day BEFORE I took the test (7%), and a promise of another after I passed (still pending)...No company email, but a lot of 'congrats' in person. Younger engineers took me out for beers that Friday, which was awesome!

No raise. No bonus. Might get reimbursed for exam and licensing fees, but not for prep materials, MERM, etc. After telling my boss that I passed, I got a hearty slap on the shoulder and a "congratulations, that's an awesome accomplishment!", and the slightly less motivating follow up, "in this industry, that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee". PEs are mostly not required in my world (defense contracting for one of the big boys) unless one sets up shop and goes after their own work. I did it mostly for the prestige, peer respect that comes with the title, and simply because it was a personal/professional goal.. And I guess also to some extent because I hope to set up my own consulting shop one day and cut out the middle man. 

No raise. No bonus. Might get reimbursed for exam and licensing fees, but not for prep materials, MERM, etc. After telling my boss that I passed, I got a hearty slap on the shoulder and a "congratulations, that's an awesome accomplishment!", and the slightly less motivating follow up, "in this industry, that and $2 will get you a cup of coffee". PEs are mostly not required in my world (defense contracting for one of the big boys) unless one sets up shop and goes after their own work. I did it mostly for the prestige, peer respect that comes with the title, and simply because it was a personal/professional goal.. And I guess also to some extent because I hope to set up my own consulting shop one day and cut out the middle man. 
This ^^^ Is almost my exact spot.

No raise. No bonus. (Federal employee on scheduled step increases, no performance based pay) Might get reimbursed for exam and licensing fees, but not for prep materials/books. After telling my boss that I passed, I got a hearty slap on the shoulder and a "congratulations, that's an awesome accomplishment!" PEs are mostly not required in my world (Fed gov, power transmission agency in D.O.E.) unless one sets up shop and goes after their own work. I did it mostly for the prestige, peer respect that comes with the title, and simply because it was a personal/professional goal.. And I guess also to some extent because I hope to set up my own consulting shop one day after retiring from federal service. 

There now it is exact,. haha

This ^^^ Is almost my exact spot.

No raise. No bonus. (Federal employee on scheduled step increases, no performance based pay) Might get reimbursed for exam and licensing fees, but not for prep materials/books. After telling my boss that I passed, I got a hearty slap on the shoulder and a "congratulations, that's an awesome accomplishment!" PEs are mostly not required in my world (Fed gov, power transmission agency in D.O.E.) unless one sets up shop and goes after their own work. I did it mostly for the prestige, peer respect that comes with the title, and simply because it was a personal/professional goal.. And I guess also to some extent because I hope to set up my own consulting shop one day after retiring from federal service. 

There now it is exact,. haha
Haha!

My husband works for USACE, and while the PE didn't get him anything right away, it did open doors for a grade jump, vs a step.  Now his position is not even an engineering position. But he has the PE if he ever wants to switch back into an engineering role.

My company gave me a 8% raise before the exam due to being able to sit for it, paid for all my reference materials and exam fees, and then another 10% raise after passing the exam

Back