I "need" my NY License number

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NY-Computer-Engineer

Reaction score
Well, I can't really say I "need" it, but I desperately want to get it.  Does anyone know if New York is accurate when they say it will take another 4 to 6 weeks until we get our license number assigned?

I have already decided to order the round New York rubber stamp/seal, even though I have no plans to stamp anything - I just want it in my desk drawer to show off to people.  Call me vein or just an impatient New Yorker, but I got to get that stamp as soon as possible to beef up my bragging capability.

Also, I have already filled out the application to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles to get the special 'Profession' license place they reserve for PE's.  It will cost me $60 every two years to have that, but again, it provides impressive bragging fodder.

Please don't hate me.

designseal-pels.gifprofessional-engineer-plate.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can't really say I "need" it, but I desperately want to get it.  Does anyone know if New York is accurate when they say it will take another 4 to 6 weeks until we get our license number assigned?

I have already decided to order the round New York rubber stamp/seal, even though I have no plans to stamp anything - I just want it in my desk drawer to show off to people.  Call me vein or just an impatient New Yorker, but I got to get that stamp as soon as possible to beef up my bragging capability.

Also, I have already filled out the application to the New York Department of Motor Vehicles to get the special 'Profession' license place they reserve for PE's.  It will cost me $60 every two years to have that, but again, it provides impressive bragging fodder.

Please don't hate me.

View attachment 11533View attachment 11532
My state already assigned and provided me a licence number.   

Just sayin.

I won’t get mine till October, 6 months after taking/passing the exam I took in April. So, zero sympathy for your 6 week wait. 

Just sayin. :(

I won’t get mine till October, 6 months after taking/passing the exam I took in April. So, zero sympathy for your 6 week wait. 

I can understand the 'Zero Sympathy', I would feel the same way in your shoes.

Maybe I shouldn't say it, but I had a glimmer of hope today.  I looked up the two most recent PE recipients at my company (both of whom passed the exam in April of 2017), and they were issued their license numbers two weeks after they were notified last year.  Both were notified on May 24th, 2017, and their numbers appeared on the NY license look-up (through the New York State 'Professionals' website) less than two weeks later on June 6th.  If history repeats itself,  I should see mine listed by the middle of next week :)

Has anyone here, who passed the PE on April 13th, had their license number assigned yet?  As of this morning they have once again stopped issuing, with the latest license number assigned being 99570 - someone actually living across the river from New York City in Newark, NJ.  I estimate they have at least 400 to go, including mine :(  

Newark could be a comity license and not a new license. If there's still another 400 to go you might just get the prestigious #100000.

Newark could be a comity license and not a new license. If there's still another 400 to go you might just get the prestigious #100000.
I suppose it could be comity license, however Newark is a short subway ride from downtown Manhattan, so I think it someone who lives in Jersey but works in NY (and there are many).

It did occur to me that I might get that 100K number, but that would mean I probably have to wait another month at the rate they are processing the license numbers - so no thanks :wacko:

I can't believe it - the issuing of the license numbers in New York continues to drag on :suicide:

Today makes 8-weeks since we were notified of passing the PE exam.  The New York Office of Professions had stated that we would get our numbers issued in 6 to 8 weeks.  So I decided to call them and find out if there is a problem.  I was asked a few questions as they brought up my file, then I was told that they see no problems, and that I am in the "queue."  I asked if there is anything that can slow it down and they said the only thing was that they have not run the criminal background check on my Driver's license (a 2-minute process for a State agency), and if that is clean (which it is) I should see my number within he next three weeks.  They would not tell me where I am in the queue however, saying that could lead to favoritism.

Oh one other thing, apparently the Website was changed the other day from 6 to 8 weeks to just 8 weeks.  The person I spoke to on the phone also said the clock does NOT start for them until NCEES uploads our scores - which apparently took place only three weeks ago.

The website initially said 4-6 weeks and they changed it to 6-8 weeks, didn't realize until you posted this that they just changed it to 8 weeks

Well... I finally got my license number today.

I thank every\one here on EngineeringBoards for their support during my struggle.

I know how this sounds, but I have to say that "the New York State Department of Education is the BEST State agency I have EVERY had the pleasure of working with., and I fully support their objectives."

{To those of you who have seen some of my 'other 'comment, I really do apologize for that statement, I suppose the White-Russian I consumed when I arrived home from  work today may have been a factor in some statements I find myself making this evening on this Bulletin-Board - "Support the 'Dude' for President}} 

I can understand the 'Zero Sympathy', I would feel the same way in your shoes.

Maybe I shouldn't say it, but I had a glimmer of hope today.  I looked up the two most recent PE recipients at my company (both of whom passed the exam in April of 2017), and they were issued their license numbers two weeks after they were notified last year.  Both were notified on May 24th, 2017, and their numbers appeared on the NY license look-up (through the New York State 'Professionals' website) less than two weeks later on June 6th.  If history repeats itself,  I should see mine listed by the middle of next week :)

Well... I finally got my license number today.

I thank every\one here on EngineeringBoards for their support during my struggle.

I know how this sounds, but I have to say that "the New York State Department of Education is the BEST State agency I have EVERY had the pleasure of working with., and I fully support their objectives."

{To those of you who have seen some of my 'other 'comment, I really do apologize for that statement, I suppose the White-Russian I consumed when I arrived home from  work today may have been a factor in some statements I find myself making this evening on this Bulletin-Board - "Support the 'Dude' for President}} 
Congrats man! I'm STILLLLLLLLLLL waiting... :(  But, I'm close. NCEES Record is complete and submitted a couple months ago, and my Oregon state PE license app just made it through step 2 of 3. I'm on the last step which is official Board review and vote which happens on 9/11/18. If they vote to approve, I'll FINALLY officially be a PE about 5 months after taking/passing the exam!

I got my new PE License number in the mail today, a new registration sticker for my windshield, but still have to wait until they manufacture that actual plates (a note inside says two to three more weeks).  I was surprised to see that my new printed registration actual has both my original plate number and the new PE number both listed.  I supposed I need to hold onto the old plates just in case I decide to stop paying the extra fees and go back to my old numbers/letters.

Back