Engineer Boards
​ ​
Sign in to follow this  
a4u2fear

For people who've taken PE exam multiple times

How similar have you found all of the exams you have taken?  Similar in difficulty and questions?

I just took it for my first time and failed.  I did not have a lot of time to prepare and I have kids which made it even more difficult.  However, after reviewing all of the material and practice exams from multiple sources, I was nearly 100% of at least a few different problems that would've been on there...that weren't.  It was surprising.

23 hours ago, a4u2fear said:

How similar have you found all of the exams you have taken?  Similar in difficulty and questions?

I just took it for my first time and failed.  I did not have a lot of time to prepare and I have kids which made it even more difficult.  However, after reviewing all of the material and practice exams from multiple sources, I was nearly 100% of at least a few different problems that would've been on there...that weren't.  It was surprising.

They were different. The first time was more conceptual and very little mathematical. The second time was more mathematical. 

There were a few similar type of questions but the majority were completely different. Unfortunately this test will most likely require you to expand your knowledge. Good luck and keep at it!

On 5/29/2018 at 9:31 AM, a4u2fear said:

I had to take the PE exam twice. Both pretty damn different from my memory and experience. Not only that, but as someone else mentioned, they also switched between conceptual and mathematical. Second time [felt] harder yet I passed. 

For the second time, I studied even harder and gathered up more practice exams (first time I had about 5, second I had about 9 or 10). It was tough but just keep trying no matter how many times it may take you. DONT.GIVE.UP. You WILL pass I promise. Truly try to understands the basics. Keep it simple. 

On 5/29/2018 at 12:31 PM, a4u2fear said:

you need to be 100% ready for conceptuals. if you still have questions on those, then you're going to be SOL every time

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:02 AM, Convolution said:

I had to take the PE exam twice. Both pretty damn different from my memory and experience. Not only that, but as someone else mentioned, they also switched between conceptual and mathematical. Second time [felt] harder yet I passed. 

For the second time, I studied even harder and gathered up more practice exams (first time I had about 5, second I had about 9 or 10). It was tough but just keep trying no matter how many times it may take you. DONT.GIVE.UP. You WILL pass I promise. Truly try to understands the basics. Keep it simple. 

Sounds like a recipe for success.

• Like 1

I passed on my third time so I know how frustrating it can be.  My first two times were in the late 90's.  I got gun shy and did not attempt again until 2014.  Obviously tests that were that far apart were totally different.  I will say if you have to take it multiple times focus more  on test taking strategy.  Spinup has a great strategy in that you use a multiple pass approach to answer questions.  it requires an initial evaluation of all the questions and assigning a point system 1-5

• Answer easy questions that don't require looking at material
  • Answer NEC/NESC questions.  Using one pass to focus on Code means you don't go back and forth between Code books and the rest of your material.  (Complex Imaginary' s NEC prep book is EXTREMELY helpful)
  • Answer questions which only require a quick look at reference material
  • Answer questions which require a longer look at reference material
  • Guess on the rest.  Pick whatever letter/number that is trending on the other answers

Also, by the time I made my third attempt the internet was in full effect.  From a resource standpoint that made a world of difference.  As I was studying, if I did not know the answer to a study question I'd Google and was able to find what I needed a significant number of times.

Finally, if you haven't done so, take a review course. I have kids also and had a limited amount time to study.  A good course can flatten the learning curve while giving you good structure. I found the GA Tech course to be extremely helpful.