4th Attempt Going to Board

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman86

Reaction score
1st attempt did not study, failed with a 42. 2nd attempt failed with a 48. 3rd attempt took SofPE and failed with a 49.  I want to apply to take it again this October, but I will have to go to the board to request that I should be allowed to take it. I'm going to take time off work and only work part-time.  The last four years I've dedicated myself to working in the field about 55+ hours a week and this past January just had our first child.  How should I make it seem as though I'm not giving myself an excuse for failing 3 times? Has anybody been through this process? What type of questions will they ask? Any advice would be appreciated. 

And also which state? Each state is different in their requirements for reattempts. Some might require you to retake some college courses. Some might be more lenient.

Does DC make you petition in person or just reapply?

You could always apply in Maryland or Virginia, then apply for commity with DC after you pass.

no matter the reason, save for a coma or something, it will always be an excuse.

Rather than explain WHY you failed, focus on convincing them how serious you are this time (such as going part time at work)

Might help your case if you write down a regimented plan. You are working part time to allow xx hrs of studying per week and plan to study xx weeks for a total of xxx hours of focused study time. 

DC just makes you appear before the board and may make you wait a certain time period if they deem necessary. From their regs, "An applicant who fails to pass the first or second PE or PLS examination will be granted a request to sit for a third offering of the examination. In the event the applicant fails to pass a third examination and wishes to retake the examination, the Board may require the applicant to wait a prescribed period of time before taking the examination again and/or appear before the Board with evidence to show that he or she has acquired additional knowledge. So it seems I just need to show them that I am willing to take time to study, but just wanted any tips to convince the board that I am capable of passing this time. 

the Board may require the applicant to wait a prescribed period of time before taking the examination again and/or appear before the Board with evidence to show that he or she has acquired additional knowledge.
The statement as written is conditional. It is not a requirement that they'll make you show up in person. But if you are required to petition the board in person, you must show that you have already acquired (past tense) additional knowledge (experience) that would increase your chances to pass upon the next attempt. This may mean an increase in responsibilities at your job or a new job with progressive experience.

A study plan is forward looking and doesn't show that the applicant has acquired additional knowledge.

How should I show that I've acquired the knowledge? I've been in the construction field for four plus years and 2 years in previous design work.  I've scored 24, 24 and 28 in the afternoon portion. 

does this apply to CA as well?  I too failed the 8 hr for the 3rd time and planned on taking it again this Oct.....

Some states require that you take additional classes prior to a 4th attempt, or gain additional work experience - it's really up to your state's board to decide.  I wouldn't go into it making excuses.  Just simply state what has occurred, and be clear about what you intend to do to improve your chances on the 4th attempt.

As others have said, don't assume that your state requires an appeal for a 4th attempt - not all states have this requirement.

Maine attempted to get rid of this requirement recently - it failed to pass.

If I applied to take it in Maryland, wouldn’t I have to do the whole application process with refernce letters again? 

If I applied to take it in Maryland, wouldn’t I have to do the whole application process with refernce letters again? 
More than likely, yes.  It's worth a call, but a board might not allow you to sit just because another state allowed you.  Requirements vary from state to state.

I didnt call to ask or appeal (TX), the rules state two courses of formal college or 1 more year experience. I took the courses. I applied and was approved in less than 2 weeks. . 

Maybe I'll apply and see if the board even request any additional experience requirement. 

Another thought would be to wait until the April test again.  Take the time off to relax and not worry about it.  I also found that it was easier to study starting in January when the weather outside was bad versus starting in July when the weather was nice and lots more stuff to do.

I'm all setup to go to the board in three weeks to see if they will let me sit for a 4th exam.  Hoping for the best. Wish me luck. 

Back