Civil transportation depth PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmmyTurner

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning on taking the PE transportation depth this October and had a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.

Review course: Which did you guys prefer out of EET, Testmasters, and School of PE?

Besides the CERM, which additional references will I need for the transportation test? Which are free and which do I have to buy?

If anybody has practice exams or anything i can use to help me start studying before the course, can they please message me and i will give my email address.

Thank you all in advance.

I just passed the PE, and I did all self-study. 

The references you'll need are the AASHTO Green Book, the 2010 Highway Capacity Manual, Roadside Design Guide, and the MUTCD. You can download the MUTCD for free, but you'll have to buy all the others.

I took SoPE, twice.  They offered a free retake of the course should you fail your first attempt at the exam.

I found some classes to work really well, but struggled to follow along with others (Geotech / Structures were difficult the first time).

I took the live class the first time, but the 2nd time I took the on-demand version which allowed me to study more on my weaknesses.  It also allowed me to switch instructors if I had difficulty following someone (they posted multiple instructors for every topic for the on-demand class).

Overall, I would recommend SoPE.  They were very professional, and I definitely wouldn't have passed without those classes or the supplied study material.

I took SoPE, twice.  They offered a free retake of the course should you fail your first attempt at the exam.

I found some classes to work really well, but struggled to follow along with others (Geotech / Structures were difficult the first time).

I took the live class the first time, but the 2nd time I took the on-demand version which allowed me to study more on my weaknesses.  It also allowed me to switch instructors if I had difficulty following someone (they posted multiple instructors for every topic for the on-demand class).

Overall, I would recommend SoPE.  They were very professional, and I definitely wouldn't have passed without those classes or the supplied study material.
What did you do differently to pass it on 2nd attempt? I also took the SOPE twice but took the exam only once and didn't pass the 1st time. I too struggle with the Geotech and Structural am portion. I took the WRE in the afternoon in Oct 2017. I am switching to Transportation this fall.

What did you do differently to pass it on 2nd attempt? I also took the SOPE twice but took the exam only once and didn't pass the 1st time. I too struggle with the Geotech and Structural am portion. I took the WRE in the afternoon in Oct 2017. I am switching to Transportation this fall.
I knew that my weaknesses were structures and geotech.  The problem that I had the first time around is that I took the live version of SoPE, and I struggled to follow the instructors for these categories.  I also realized that I was beat after work, and taking the class on weekday nights was not working for me.

I switched to on-demand on the 2nd attempt, and studied less on weekdays and more on weekends.  I was also able to select my instructors from past classes, and found instructors for Geo and Structures that I could follow better.  It made all the difference.

I also stressed less on my 2nd attempt, as I knew more of what to expect.  If you plan on switching depth this time, I would look into taking another review class for the transportation portion - the notes from SoPE are worth their weight in gold.

I knew that my weaknesses were structures and geotech.  The problem that I had the first time around is that I took the live version of SoPE, and I struggled to follow the instructors for these categories.  I also realized that I was beat after work, and taking the class on weekday nights was not working for me.

I switched to on-demand on the 2nd attempt, and studied less on weekdays and more on weekends.  I was also able to select my instructors from past classes, and found instructors for Geo and Structures that I could follow better.  It made all the difference.

I also stressed less on my 2nd attempt, as I knew more of what to expect.  If you plan on switching depth this time, I would look into taking another review class for the transportation portion - the notes from SoPE are worth their weight in gold.
I took  the SOPE review courses earlier this year as repeat taker. I hope the notes from SOPE Transportation will get me over this hump and pass the exam. I've invested so much money and time.

I would like to see if anyone has materials for transportation discipline, that I could purchase or any idea on how I could save some money? My budget is a bit tight. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.   

I would like to see if anyone has materials for transportation discipline, that I could purchase or any idea on how I could save some money? My budget is a bit tight. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.   
Check the boards again after the PE exam, and then also after results are released (typically some time in December). Sometimes people post in these forums or in the Yard Sale forum with study stuff they are selling once they pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the boards again after the PE exam, and then also after results are released (typically some time in December). Sometimes people post in these forums or in the Yard Sale forum with study stuff they are selling once they pass.
Great, will check back then. Thanks 

I would like to see if anyone has PE Transportation study materials to buy. Also let me know which materials are good for passing?

Back