Upset with my ex-boss after I passed my PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperKK

Reaction score
I just passed my PE exam in April 2018.I am looking forward to get recommendation letter from my one of ex-boss.

I informed her I passed PE.There is no any congratulation from her.

Instead,she said:eek:h u have passed PE.How come?You don't have enough working experience.That means PE is easy.

I answered No,PE is hard and I did a lot of work to it.

She responded:do u mean I would fail the PE exam?

I answered:No,I didn't mean that.It requires hard work.

She responded:If we want to pass PE,everyone in this company can pass PE.PE is nothing.It didn't bring any rise in the salary.

Then I said goodbye and have a good weekend for memorial day

I have no idea why her opinion is so dark and so pessimistic.

She made me feel uncomfortable after passing PE exam and she thought PE licence is nothing and it's a easy exam.I don't know it is still worth to study and pass PE.

Two thing are sure:

I am glad she is no long my boss.

I can't get reference letter from her

@SuperKK congrats on passing your PE. You accomplished something few degreed engineers can.

And it does sound like your ex-boss is a GREAT ex-boss! Don't let it get you down. 

@SuperKK congrats on passing your PE. You accomplished something few degreed engineers can.

And it does sound like your ex-boss is a GREAT ex-boss! Don't let it get you down. 
Thank u for that.She didn't know the definition of ductile material.She is always against me whenever I made valid point

That is very unfortunate. I hope there might be another way to communicate the importance of having her recommendation. Don't let it get you down. Easy or hard, passing this exam is still an accomplishment and you should feel proud. I know I do.

This is not what I wanted to read as I am about to go talk to my boss for his recommendation lol.

That is very unfortunate. I hope there might be another way to communicate the importance of having her recommendation. Don't let it get you down. Easy or hard, passing this exam is still an accomplishment and you should feel proud. I know I do.

This is not what I wanted to read as I am about to go talk to my boss for his recommendation lol.
My ex-manager judged people's ability by the age instead person's capability.When comparing comment between me(a 29 year old engineer) and supplier(58 year old supplier),she would trust the supplier because he is old.

Then I pointed out all the mistakes that suppliers made.She still trusted him.Eventually,I had to get senior engineers from other design group who are old to persuade her to believe my suggestion.

I am glad that's project is canceled after I left her group.I don't know why our company still keep such project manager in the team.She discouraged people to do the work correctly.

My ex-manager judged people's ability by the age instead person's capability.When comparing comment between me(a 29 year old engineer) and supplier(58 year old supplier),she would trust the supplier because he is old.

Then I pointed out all the mistakes that suppliers made.She still trusted him.Eventually,I had to get senior engineers from other design group who are old to persuade her to believe my suggestion.

I am glad that's project is canceled after I left her group.I don't know why our company still keep such project manager in the team.She discouraged people to do the work correctly.
I highlighted the thing I totally agree with. This happens alot in construction field. 

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand ..does ur ex boss have a PE? If not she should shut her mouth about how easy it is...now that she doesn't want to give a recommendation I would tell her that you don't believe she has what it takes to pass it... what she thinks she's just gona show up test day and pass? She's out of her **** mind

I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand ..does ur ex boss have a PE? If not she should shut her mouth about how easy it is...now that she doesn't want to give a recommendation I would tell her that you don't believe she has what it takes to pass it... what she thinks she's just gona show up test day and pass? She's out of her **** mind
Of course not.She is holding BA in industrial engineer and six sigma black belt holder which can achieve by paying $300. 

I agree with u.I really want to tell her:yes,you will fail the exam if u take.But it is against company policy to work in profession.

Yuck. I occasionally run into the same thing with contractors.  I would think though that a good project manager would understand the importance of a PE.

Of course not.She is holding BA in industrial engineer and six sigma black belt holder which can achieve by paying $300. 

I agree with u.I really want to tell her:yes,you will fail the exam if u take.But it is against company policy to work in profession.
Yeah, she just sounds bitter. I'm sorry she had that reaction, that's ridiculous. But like others have said, at least she's your ex-boss!

Thank u for that.She didn't know the definition of ductile material.She is always against me whenever I made valid point
JHajajaja! I can't Imagine how she's going to celebrate hes long week end LOL!

**** she got the guts to say that, if it was me, I would have confronted her right away when she said "u passed? how come?" 

Best revenge is play dumb!!! hahaha and you nailed it! 

I just passed my PE exam in April 2018.I am looking forward to get recommendation letter from my one of ex-boss.

Instead,she said:eek:h u have passed PE.How come?You don't have enough working experience.That means PE is easy.

She responded:If we want to pass PE,everyone in this company can pass PE.PE is nothing.It didn't bring any rise in the salary.

She made me feel uncomfortable after passing PE exam and she thought PE licence is nothing and it's a easy exam.I don't know it is still worth to study and pass PE.

Two thing are sure:

WOW. "If we want to pass PE,everyone in this company can pass PE!"

Holy bat ****, batman. I heard some arrogance in my day, but this is some serious bovine fecal matter. If P.Es are so easy, why doesn't ever Engineer have one?

SuperKK, don't even give this person a second thought. That statement is one of the dumbest things a person can say in the Engineering World.

WOW. "If we want to pass PE,everyone in this company can pass PE!"

Holy bat ****, batman. I heard some arrogance in my day, but this is some serious bovine fecal matter. If P.Es are so easy, why doesn't ever Engineer have one?

SuperKK, don't even give this person a second thought. That statement is one of the dumbest things a person can say in the Engineering World.
She is my first manager and She is terrible and mean to other during the work.And thank you.U make me feeling better

Two thing are sure:

shes just a stupid person. don't mind her. Congrats!! Its awesome that you passed! 

She is my first manager and She is terrible and mean to other during the work.And thank you.U make me feeling better
She is a complete moron and most likely a very unhappy person. I am so happy that you passed the exam! Congrats! And move forward in life, find a better boss, and realize you worked super hard for your PE. It is not easy. I am still working hard to get mine. It means something, and no, you cannot buy it for $300. There are some people in this world that you just need to ignore and move forward (anyone who is truly negative and rude) and bask in your own happiness of passing this difficult exam. If she doesn't have a PE, she has NO CLUE how hard people have to work to obtain it. So her opinion is irrelevant.

She is a complete moron and most likely a very unhappy person. I am so happy that you passed the exam! Congrats! And move forward in life, find a better boss, and realize you worked super hard for your PE. It is not easy. I am still working hard to get mine. It means something, and no, you cannot buy it for $300. There are some people in this world that you just need to ignore and move forward (anyone who is truly negative and rude) and bask in your own happiness of passing this difficult exam. If she doesn't have a PE, she has NO CLUE how hard people have to work to obtain it. So her opinion is irrelevant.
Thank you for support.I feel much better now.

Good luck on ur next PE exam and enjoy the holiday.

Why would you even want a reference from her?
I am only 29 year old and my career time in engineer is only three and half year.

She is my first manager.I have worked for her for one and half year.I did two patents with her in one and half year.That's why I thought she can be a good reference.

Back