Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cpt. America USA

New Jersey news?

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, cuatona1 said:

If you got your EIT in NJ you don’t have to do it...if you got it another state I think you still have too...I’ll check the NJAC and get back to you on that

In NJ, the law exam is a requirement for EIT certificate.  You do not need to take it a second time. Since it is not part of PE license requirements, it wI'll joy be marked as completed on the online checklist. Apparently they just haven't had the time to update the online checklist to remove this line item. However,  I would highly recommend reading the laws that are posted on the Boards website. After reading the current laws, I found several violations that my company was making with the title block and business cards that we have since updated to comply with the current law. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Miss PE
11 hours ago, cuatona1 said:

If you got your EIT in NJ you don’t have to do it...if you got it another state I think you still have too...I’ll check the NJAC and get back to you on that

 

11 hours ago, youngmotivatedengineer said:

In NJ, the law exam is a requirement for EIT certificate.  You do not need to take it a second time. Since it is not part of PE license requirements, it wI'll joy be marked as completed on the online checklist. Apparently they just haven't had the time to update the online checklist to remove this line item. However,  I would highly recommend reading the laws that are posted on the Boards website. After reading the current laws, I found several violations that my company was making with the title block and business cards that we have since updated to comply with the current law. 

 

My situation's a little strange because I just passed the FE last year and was never activated as an EIT.  My references were out of date because I took it once 4 years before so i would have needed to get new references for the EIT at the same time I was applying for the PE.  The board said not to bother, so I never took the Law Exam.  I'll see what happens when they send me my letter.  My checklist for both the EIT and PE says "Not Applicable" for Passed NJ Law Exam.  If I had to guess, I bet the board doesn't realize and I won't have to take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My license was activated today.

Just curious is it PE or P.E. -- I have seen it both ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NJ Guest
46 minutes ago, GreenHulk said:

My license was activated today.

Just curious is it PE or P.E. -- I have seen it both ways.

Wow really? I still haven't even got my activation form...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guest NJ Guest said:

Wow really? I still haven't even got my activation form...

Yes sir. I would give them a call ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, GreenHulk said:

Just curious is it PE or P.E. -- I have seen it both ways.

Either is acceptable. It's a matter of personal preference.

I went with "P.E." because that's how the board members are listed on the Maryland state website. But the chairman signed my wall certificate with "PE" so.... yeah it doesn't matter.

FWIW, New Jersey uses "PE" as the board members postnominal on http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/pels/Pages/members.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest NJ Guest
Just now, GreenHulk said:

Yes sir. I would give them a call ... 

Just called. "The board just received your results today. Give it about a week or so and they'll mail it out"

Interesting considering they emailed me my result notice the same day NCEES released last Wednesday......

oh well, the hard part is over. What's another week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, youngmotivatedengineer said:

In NJ, the law exam is a requirement for EIT certificate.  You do not need to take it a second time. Since it is not part of PE license requirements, it wI'll joy be marked as completed on the online checklist. Apparently they just haven't had the time to update the online checklist to remove this line item. However,  I would highly recommend reading the laws that are posted on the Boards website. After reading the current laws, I found several violations that my company was making with the title block and business cards that we have since updated to comply with the current law. 

Young,

Not trying to discredit you or anything but N.J.A.C 13:40-2.4  (Requirements for EIT) states:

a) To be eligible for a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training, an applicant shall: 1) Submit a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) Pay the application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) Submit an official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) Submit a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) Submit proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14 if the applicant has received an undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English; and 6) Successfully complete the Part F portion of the examination unless waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12. b) A person in his or her junior or senior year of college pursuing either a degree in engineering or engineering technology shall be permitted to sit for the Part F portion of the examination if: 1) The applicant submits a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) The Board receives a letter from the applicant's school indicating that the applicant is currently enrolled as a junior or senior in good academic standing; 3) The Board receives an official transcript from the applicant's school indicating the courses completed by the applicant to date; 4) The applicant submits a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) The applicant pays the application fee required of engineer-in-training applicants as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1 (a)1; and 6) For an applicant who is pursuing his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, the Board receives proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. c) The Board shall issue a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training to a person meeting the requirements of (b) above, upon the person meeting the requirements of (a)3 above. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education or training, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.5 (Requirements for PE) States:

a) An applicant for examination as a professional engineer shall submit the following to the Board: 1) A completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's educational and experiential background; 2) The application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) An official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) A minimum of five references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's experience or training, three of whom shall be licensed professional engineers in the United States. The professional references for that portion of the applicant's experience constituting the minimum experience required for licensure shall be professional engineers who were in responsible charge of that minimum experience. If the number of experience engagements necessary to constitute the minimum experience requires more than three professional references to confirm such experience, such additional professional references shall be required. Special circumstances may be considered by the Board at the time of application in such cases where a licensed professional engineer in responsible charge of the work being claimed by the applicant is not available; and 5) For an applicant who has received his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. b) To be eligible for licensure, the applicant shall have successfully passed the three-part examination for licensure consisting of: 1) Part F—Fundamentals of Engineering which may be waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12; 2) Part P—Principles and Practices of Engineering (this portion of the examination shall be taken after the applicant satisfies the experience requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.10); and 3) The New Jersey Law portion. c) If the applicant is seeking licensure by comity, in addition to meeting the requirements in (a) above, the applicant shall also: 1) Submit proof of successful completion of the examination requirements set forth in (b) above; and 2) Comply with the requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.16. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education, training, or experience, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

You have it reversed required for PE not required for EIT, however if you already took it and passed when you got your EIT, you shouldn't have to do it. But, if you didn't take the EIT in NJ, then chances are you did not take the NJ Law Exam.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GreenHulk said:

My license was activated today.

Just curious is it PE or P.E. -- I have seen it both ways.

Same here. Wooh!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cuatona1 said:

Young,

Not trying to discredit you or anything but N.J.A.C 13:40-2.4  (Requirements for EIT) states:

a) To be eligible for a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training, an applicant shall: 1) Submit a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) Pay the application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) Submit an official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) Submit a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) Submit proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14 if the applicant has received an undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English; and 6) Successfully complete the Part F portion of the examination unless waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12. b) A person in his or her junior or senior year of college pursuing either a degree in engineering or engineering technology shall be permitted to sit for the Part F portion of the examination if: 1) The applicant submits a completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's background; 2) The Board receives a letter from the applicant's school indicating that the applicant is currently enrolled as a junior or senior in good academic standing; 3) The Board receives an official transcript from the applicant's school indicating the courses completed by the applicant to date; 4) The applicant submits a minimum of three references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's engineering education, experience or training, one of whom shall be a licensed professional engineer in the United States; 5) The applicant pays the application fee required of engineer-in-training applicants as set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1 (a)1; and 6) For an applicant who is pursuing his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, the Board receives proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. c) The Board shall issue a certificate of registration as an engineer-in-training to a person meeting the requirements of (b) above, upon the person meeting the requirements of (a)3 above. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education or training, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.5 (Requirements for PE) States:

a) An applicant for examination as a professional engineer shall submit the following to the Board: 1) A completed, typewritten and notarized application which contains information concerning the applicant's educational and experiential background; 2) The application fee set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-6.1(a)1; 3) An official transcript indicating the applicant has satisfied the educational requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.8 in either engineering or engineering technology; 4) A minimum of five references that comply with N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.13 from persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's experience or training, three of whom shall be licensed professional engineers in the United States. The professional references for that portion of the applicant's experience constituting the minimum experience required for licensure shall be professional engineers who were in responsible charge of that minimum experience. If the number of experience engagements necessary to constitute the minimum experience requires more than three professional references to confirm such experience, such additional professional references shall be required. Special circumstances may be considered by the Board at the time of application in such cases where a licensed professional engineer in responsible charge of the work being claimed by the applicant is not available; and 5) For an applicant who has received his or her undergraduate degree from a school located in a country where the official language is other than English, proof that the applicant has satisfied the language comprehension requirement set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.14. b) To be eligible for licensure, the applicant shall have successfully passed the three-part examination for licensure consisting of: 1) Part F—Fundamentals of Engineering which may be waived by the Board pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.12; 2) Part P—Principles and Practices of Engineering (this portion of the examination shall be taken after the applicant satisfies the experience requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.10); and 3) The New Jersey Law portion. c) If the applicant is seeking licensure by comity, in addition to meeting the requirements in (a) above, the applicant shall also: 1) Submit proof of successful completion of the examination requirements set forth in (b) above; and 2) Comply with the requirements set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.16. d) If the applicant is seeking credit for military education, training, or experience, the applicant shall follow the procedure set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:40-2.17.

You have it reversed required for PE not required for EIT, however if you already took it and passed when you got your EIT, you shouldn't have to do it. But, if you didn't take the EIT in NJ, then chances are you did not take the NJ Law Exam.

 

 

Okay, never realized it was only required at PE and not EIT. I first took FE exam in 2006 ( fresh out of college before starting workwith a construction company that had no PE so I lost 5 years towards required experience ). Even before passing the FE exam, they sent us information for the heads law exam so I thought it was required for EIT.

In theory,  the board should probably make it a requirement for the EIT certification. This way those individuals would know exactly what they can and can't do as an EIT. Or maybe do it for both exams with general questions and questions specific to EIT and PE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×